Tea And Bikkies With My Bijenvader And His Bride

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was almost windless, sunny and warmish this afternoon so we thought that we’d pop out to visit my beekeeping mentor (or bijenvader as we call them). He and his Bride are always such great hosts and we have a lot to chat about.

So we arrived and the chairs stood ready on the patio situated at the appropriate distance of course. Normally we would first have a stroll around the botanical grounds of his estate to ooh and ahh at what would in bloom at that moment or look at how their veggies were progressing. You see he has, over the years, set his grounds up with a string of “bee plants” that come into bloom in succession from february until october. One can truly be envious of what he has accomplished there. —Chapeau, mate.

His Bride does not work with him in the bees any longer, but she is a great conversationalist and can lay out some great goodies at tea time. We all get along really well and sometimes take little trips together in non-covid times.

Ah but today I would like to introduce the personality of my Bijenvader...sort of give you an idea what sort of dude he is:

This bloke has the great ability to see a problem, think up a solution and then make it happen. There are countless examples, but today I shall give just one timely autumnal example, capped with the bonus of an insightful example of his personality.

Timely example? What do I mean? Well, many folks are being overwhelmed with falling leaves. Just take Carolyn. Holy mackerel what a job she has had. If only my bijenvader lived close to her with his solution.

He showed me all that he had raked clean and complained that he had to stop so often to gather up a wheelbarrow-full of leaves and cart it away. He told me his solution was to saw off some planks, screw them together and then place this vertical extension onto the wheelbarrow bed. He proudly told me that he can now get three times as many leaves in, especially if he presses the leaves down from time to time. Have a look at his work:
    7D4D0AF5-158F-4401-B719-E0E91BBF87AE.jpeg

I liked the look of this portable leaf silo ( you can simply take it off for storage. It is a handy and simple solution. On our way back to the table and chairs he told me that he did have a little accident though. As we stepped onto the patio, he said I’ll be back in a moment. My Bride was surprisd and his girl looked anxious. He came bacl round the corner, saying that he had had an accident with the skill saw and he just put his finger in the freezer until monday. He hoped to be able to have it sewn back on. He is tough.
    102B1817-966C-446E-9561-B47C0ABA337B.jpeg

....cool as a cucumber, as if it were nothing.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Did he really saw off his finger, or just poke it through a hole in that plastic? Or have a fake finger handy? (My dad was a joker, so may have met this joke, if it is a joke, with him). If it is not a joke, I am sorry your friend lost his finger....

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You’ve got all the possibilities covered there AA.;)

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thats kind of odd !! I see a knee in the pic and no blood on the finger ! Normally the finger would be in ice to be re-attached ! I take it your friend is a joker ??

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Chuckle. A card!

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mart, you are too right, AA also was spot on. That man is fond of a joke. I laughed when he came out to present that finger pan. The girls just rolled their eyes. Is it possible that men and women gave different types of humour sometimes.

So then Cayu— calling this gentleman a “card” is an understatement. When we four go off for a coupla days he entertains us with his humorous remarks, puns and general knowledge. He is a unique figure.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

The joke was easily spotted by the color. Had it been cut off, it wouldn't have the pinkish look of flesh with blood flowing. Indeed, a Card.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are of course completely correct, GP. Ha ha.

Growingpains likes this.
  10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

LOL Nice to be right, sometimes.

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A gold star for you, GP ! :D

Growingpains likes this.
  12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

:fingerscrossed: My cheering section of-----one! :like: