Teen Room Design Help?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Christina, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Christina

Christina New Seed

Hello all! I'm trying to design my new room and I'm completely stumped! I pretty much just need some help. I'm practically addicted to HGTV, but I don't think I've picked up any skills. So, I need a design plan for my new room.

I know this place is alll about the pictures. So here is a draft of what my room pretty much is, including some measurements of the wall and an idea of the shape. It's kinda big for the average bedroom, but when I factor in everything, it all fits in just right. The room is a finished attic, so we have slant-y walls so I can't have too huge of furniture and I like to have everything upstairs so I don't have to run between floors grabbing what I need.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, the fish tank is a 65 gallon, hundreds of pounds, tank that cannot be moved. So, it kind of has to be... planned around it.

I just need an idea of... what to do. It's so much space and I have no idea what to put where. I love getting opinions and suggestions!

I share my room with my twin sister, and on the side I also have 11 adopted guinea pigs (insane, I know, but they are my world!). So my sister pretty much only has her own bed, then the guinea pigs have a huge cage of at least 10 - 12 feet long. I don't care where the cage goes. I also have a desk, a dresser, and some random furniture.

Soo...
    - 2 twin sized beds
    - 1 dresser
    - 2 file cabinets
    - 1 desk
    - 1 TV entertainment center
    - Large (Huge?) Guinea Pig Cage
    - New furniture such as couches etc.
    - Storage is also a huuuge problem. We need more of that, but have no idea of what to get!

I'm kind of thinking about a bedroom area, a desk-ish area and maybe a lounge area for the TV and/or a couch? I like the idea of three separate areas for the three parts of the room, but still open to anything else! I'm not rich and do not have too much money but I am definitely in need of some ideas what *what to do!*

Also, I'm not the average in-your-face, bright, loud teenager. I like the modern, smooth, clean, contemporary things. Things that will last and furniture that I can take with me when I move out... eventually. :)

Thanks all and I'm so sorry if I've come to the wrong place for advice!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. sunflower
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Pianolady
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We will see what we can do to help you but first some questions to clarify some things.
    The closet..is there a door on each end and if not which end is the door on.
    Is the closet large enough to hold the dresser, thereby freeing up more actual room space.
    Are there any shelves in the closet.

The stairs....which end do you come into the room from.
    Is the fish tank drawn to scale, if not what what are the measurements.
    How many feet are there between the stair side rail and the 25 foot wall.
    Are there windows in the area and where.
    What are the dimensions of the entertainment center.
    Do you really have to have couches...chairs will fit in easier in a tight space.
    Are the filing cabinets 2 drawer or 4 drawer.

4. Christina

Christina New Seed

Here is what will answer most of your questions.
    [​IMG]

The closet door is on the left and the dresser will not fit in there. There is one shelf in the closet that runs the whole closet, it isn't removable.

You enter the stairs left to right. So, you enter the stairs from the right. The fish tank is to scale, but just in case it is 2ft. by 2ft. And it is a corner tank (kinda tall, maybe 3 ft). The windows are on either side, there's about a 3 foot space between the floor and window sill. The entertainment center is about 2ft wide by 3ft long. Chairs, couches, bean bags, anything sits well with me! And lastly, the file cabinets are 2 drawer.

Thanks so much!

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Make the area to the left (where the closet door is) the sleeping area for privacy. The area on the right will become a sort of livingroom.

I forgot to ask now tall the wall is on the two long sides, you said the ceilings were sloped because of the roof line. So depending on that measurement, the suggestions I have may or may not work.

Closets do not necessarily have to have doors, you loose almost 3 feet of usable wall space because you can't block the door. If you want the closet 'closed off' buy what's called a Tension Rod and a twin size sheet to create a curtain...or a beaded one if you can find one you like.

Put the Guinea Pig cage along that wall opposite the side of the stairs, that space is pretty much useless for anything else because of it's size. Not centered on the wall but one end of the cage even with the corner of the stairs in the bedroom space, then it will extend into the TV area but not the bedroom space.

One bed on the wall between the fishtank and the closet (headboard on the wall, bed sticking out into the room, your typical placement) a small bookcase next to the bed on the closet side.
    The other bed, without headboard, placed longways on the wall under the window. A small bookcase between the end of the bed and the wall.
    Dresser along the wall the guinea pig cage is on.
    A beanbag in the open space so that one of you can read in there while the other is watching TV. It can be moved to the other side so both of you can watch TV too.

Sometimes it's not a matter of cramming all the furniture into a small space, it's more making something serve two purposes.
    For instance...the former closet door, painted and decorated laying across the two filing cabinets creates a desk. Or can be used to hold the TV and other electronics you have.
    That way you can get rid of either the desk you have or the entertainment center.
    Either way I would put the TV as close to that outside corner, upper right in your drawing, as possible so if one of you wants to go to bed while the other is still watching TV the sound will be a little muffled and quieter.

Frank likes this.