Temps in a greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by dooley, Apr 2, 2006.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Does anyone know what the temp should be in a greenhouse? I went to water this morning and the temp was 120F. I opened the vent and it began going down and was about 80F the rest of the day. I closed the vent about 5:30 pm and it was down to about 65F. I will have to watch it closely in the mornings, I think.Anyone know? dooley

2. Loading...

3. jnnwyman

jnnwyman Seedling

Hiya, Dooley,

:D See if this is of help to you:

1. The temperature you need to keep a greenhouse is entirely dependant on the type of plants you are growing. Some flowers such as roses can take high temperatures up to the low 90's, if they are well watered. Others like tulips and ferns need a cooler, shadier climate to thrive, say no higher than the mid to upper 70's. If you live in a warmer climate you may have a hard time with the plants that need relatively cool temperatures like the tulips.
    One other thing to keep in mind, the combination of a dry plant and a high temperature equals a dead plant. If your plants have to survive a couple days of high temps make sure they are well watered.

2. Cooling without electricity:
    Our recommendations for cooling a greenhouse without electricity:
    a) greenhouse shade cloth,
    b) misting system with battery-powered automatic timer,
    c) gravel, brick or pavers as flooring to absorb moisture and enhance the cooling effect of evaporation
    d) and shade trees planted nearby for future cooling effects.

3. Lowering Temperatures:
    To help lower greenhouse temperatures, consider installation of an exhaust fan system. You may wish to consider installing shade cloth since shade cloth can lower greenhouse temps by up to 20 degrees. You may also be interested in a misting system in your greenhouse. Installing a misting system with an automatic timer can lower greenhouse temperatures 15+ degrees.