Texas flooding?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Oct 23, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I see on the newspapers that the Houston area is going to have some localized flooding. I'm worried about Cheryl.
    Also, the Dallas-Ft. Worth area is experiencing heavy rains. How is Toni?
    With the drought we have experienced this summer, the ground is so hard and dry that much of the rain is going to run off rather than penetrating. That leads to flash flooding.
    We are fortunate--I hear thunder now, and we've had two heavy bands of rain pass through, but no damage, no flooding--just filling the water tanks and adding to the pond.
    I do hope that all Texas gardeners are as lucky, and that the rains are beneficial.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

It sounds terrible for them...I hope things will be OK

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The rain over us was in waves with just enough time between them to let rain on the ground soak in before the next one hit. There are some low spots around us that are standing in water but those are mostly streets with poor drainage to begin with.

Again and as usual my garden got less than the rest of Dallas County, less than 2 inches overnight and maybe another 1 inch today for a total of less than 3 inches in the last 24 hours but some places east and south of me got 3-5 inches just overnight..

We are in a lull for a few hours with the sun trying to sneak it's ugly mug out from behind clouds, but it is supposedly going to become overcast again with more rain after about 6 this evening.

My part of Texas had crept back into the Extreme Drought conditions over the last several weeks (2nd only to Exceptional Drought conditions) and sadly this little bit of rain will do very little to alleviate that. If we get this amount of rain on a semi-monthly schedule for the next year or two that could break the drought for us. But we will have to wait to see what El NiƱo does for us this winter.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  5. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Sending out good thoughts to everyone who is (or will be) affected by deluges and flooding.
    I can sure relate, there is still standing water from the recent flooding in our area.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thank goodness you don't have any flooding Toni. I just hope that our other Texas members are OK too.:fingerscrossed:

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, how I'd love to send some of our rain your way! I emptied out 30 mm from my rain gauge Friday morning. (Something like 12 inches I think.) We're going to have heavy downpours again this evening, lasting through Monday. We're lucky, most of our rain runs straight into the sea. There's little chance of flooding in my neighbourhood unless the rivers decide to wreak havoc. Fortunately that rarely happens. Good luck to you with the rain and flood danger.

8. toni

The rain during the night has been slow and steady for the most part. There was some wind blowing the rain sideways most of yesterday afternoon and evening, which sent the rain into our attic through the roof ridge vent, it accumulated in the insulation and found a crack in the ceiling caused by the earthquakes last Spring and started dripping on our living room floor. The ridge vent is great for hot dry days but we are tired of the rain getting in and will be finding a roofer to remove it....guess it will take longer to get the bathroom up dated than I thought.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We had beneficial rain--3/8" yesterday, and about 5" overnight. We were lucky in that it was a slow steady rain without high winds or gusts. We have a few puddles in the front yard, but they are slowly disappearing. We needed this rain so much!
    It's still raining a bit, more of a hearty sprinkle than real rain. Our pond is full to overflowing, the water barrels and cubes are full and the chickens are disgruntled.

carolyn likes this.
  10. toni

Only .15 inches in the gauge this morning and the radar shows everything east and south of us heading north east so our rain even is over. Might be more next weekend. 6.72 total in my garden but from the CoCoRaHS map, I got the smalles amount in the whole of Dallas County....again and as usual.

We have two roof guys coming out next week to see what the damage is and let us know if they have kids to put through college or just want a new boat.:eek:

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, pray that the roofing guys don't want Ferraris!
    We are still having very light rain, and the puddles are slowly sinking in. We had 1/2" overnight. We have checked with friends downhill, and they don't have anything more than big puddles. We are so lucky to have no damage, no flooding, and getting the rain we so badly needed.
    I am sorry for those in Texas who had floods, and will be doing what we can to alleviate their losses.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Toni, we have never had rain come in through our ridge vent. Maybe something isn't right with it, but you need one to let the excess heat out of the attic, unless you have it vented elsewise.

13. toni

These ridge vents have been known to come loose over time with high winds and then leak into the roof and that one has been up there for over 17 years. Oh, yeah, the ridge vent replaced the vents on the end of the house that let in squirrels and other critters and the whirly thing on top. There are newer and less critter friendly appliances that can be installed when the ridge vent is removed.

14. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

So glad to hear that our Texas Stewbies are doing ok. Marlin---I would want to help out as well. I just can not imagine having that much rain and then have my home flooded. That God that there wasn't a lot more deaths. I had heard this week of a guy who was swept down a mile long drainage pipe and survived. That had to be one really scary experience. Then I think of what happens to some of those poisonous snakes or larger dangerous animals one may encounter as they look for somewhere to get out of the flooding.
    Plus the East coast is getting a lot of rain also. Hope they do not have a lot of flooding with the weather system from Patricia moving in land.

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tooty, bless your heart for being willing to help out! It seems that the flooding near here was localized, and the people who had to be evacuated has somewhere close by to go.
    There are warnings out about wading in flood waters--it isn't the water that's so dangerous, but what is swimming in it!
    Again, I thank heaven that we got rain, but not floods or high winds or other problems.