The Diva vines of the garden. Is it the Clematis vine?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Pacnorwest, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

A friend and I were talking about vines in the garden and the clematis vine came up. How it’s pronounced …. either Cla-maa-tis or Cla-meh-tus. Either way it doesn’t matter as long as you came out of the garden center with the one you like. Route or root, potato, potahto , tomato, tomahto.

I call the clematis the mailbox plant, because that’s where everybody puts it. It’s on a structure that’s already made and of course the mail box can always use a little Gus-seein-up.

The clematis is in the old wood , new wood conundrum . To deal with trimming 3 different groups were devised , Group 1, Group 2, or Group 3. I created Group 4 and that is just do nothing. No trimming just wait and see, when in doubt which group your clematis falls in don’t prune. Most of the time if you prune a clematis when you’re not supposed to then you won’t have flowers that year. But … you get over the fact that trimming caused the loss of that whole season of flowering. It is a lesson learned when pruning clematis.

Often those clematis groups 1-3 try to simplify the pruning and it often makes it more confusing. I just trim some of the dead vines out to 4’ every once in awhile when they get to tangled and call it a day.

Even pruning my hydrangeas. I prune in spring and prune off the dead top portions of a stem after seeing the swollen buds below. A sure fired way to never loose a bloom.

Clematis are socializers they like to be in the spotlight but they are a bit fragile. The top growth likes to hang out with other plants while the roots are loners hiding in a cool spot mulched from the summer heat. Feet in the shade and the head in the sun is the old adage for clematis. Clematis roots are so fleshy, weird and sensitive. If you can keep the roots happy then that’s the secret to success. I admit I have a few huge clematis monsters that need pruning. I’ll wait to see when bloom time comes to thin a few out.
    Below a few pics of different ways to use clematis vines in the garden. Clematis are a little bit of a diva but a plant well worth planting.

Everyone …PLZ… feel free to add your favorite vines or clematis pics here.

Clematis rambling over a camilla shrub.
    IMG_3885.jpeg

Clematis growing up climbing rose.
    IMG_7178.jpeg

Another clematis growing up a rambling rose
    IMG_7244.jpeg

Clematis growing up holly tree

IMG_7471.jpeg

Ground cover IMG_7526.jpeg IMG_7525.jpeg

Clematis flowering same time as wisteria IMG_2388.jpeg

Clematis early spring bloom on arbor, IMG_5868.jpeg

2. Loading...