The Dove Games

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sjoerd, Sep 28, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Since last year, there was only Lonesome Larry and a married dove couple on the lottie. Now there are seven doves. Sometimes they all come at once and then it is very noisy and busy with all their flapping ad messy table manners.

We call these animals, “Turkish Turtles”(translated)

For a joke I picked up the feeding container to see if they would be interested; and surprisingly enough, some actually came to eat. The first one in was skeptical; however, the greed was stronger than it’s good sense.
    B0C0DF3C-3A9A-494B-93E4-C7F8597CB435.jpeg

When it overcame the feelings of danger a little bit, a second came.
    A280009A-1E79-4445-B1D4-C231D110D965.jpeg

The second one wanted to land on something other than the feeding dish, so it landed on its sibling. I am assuming they are siblings because they are smaller than the others, and it is not the time of year for mating. It was so funny to see that when the second dove came in and landed on the other’s back the eating dove just kept on eating and never missed a peck. It was not to be deterred.
    30006383-4C82-4C85-818B-3D758BAB3664.jpeg

I mean, the rudeness at the eating table would have never been tolerated when I was a child. Eventually, it went to its own sitting place. I could tell that it was not as comfortable as its friend, but eventually they both settled down and feasted furiously.
    C14B1019-00D4-4617-9717-C080EDE062ED.jpeg

I do not know if it is actually wise to let them be so accustomed me. But when we go to the lottie at this time of year there is a lot of work to do, so I won’t have time for these dove games.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't know what happened to our doves but I haven't seen them this year at all. That's why I'm so pleased to see your photographs. Thanks for posting them for us.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am happy to show them. I wonder what happened to yours…jackdaws or magpies maybe? It is sad for you.

Melody Mc. and eileen like this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You are probably right Sjoerd as we have way too many magpies and jackdaws around here.

Melody Mc. likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

White-winged Dove 6.jpg we have white winged doves, also Incas. Our doves are not migratory--they stick around all year, eating at the feeders and cooing early in the morning and in the evening.
    Inca Dove 3.jpg first photo is a white wing, the second is an Inca.
    We appreciate our doves!

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We have Mourning Doves here too. It started with a couple and a nest in my wisteria vine, there were 3 different broods this year. Now there are lots!
    They don't come and feed like that, and I won't have seed out until the snow files (bears). One likes to sleep in the greenhouse at night.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jane, those are lovely doves. That white-winged one is special, isn’t it.
    Our doves are with us year round as well. It keeps me going to the lottie during the winter.

Netty…do you mean one bear or one dove sleeps in the greenhouse?
    Your doves have been active.
    I like those doves although they can be monotonus in the spring.

eileen, Melody Mc. and marlingardener like this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ah Netty, you know mourning doves are not "morning" doves. When I edited a local newspaper, I had to constantly correct submissions about "morning" doves. At least the writers knew the birds were doves!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jane—I can see how some folks who had no natural experience or interest would make the mistake. Luckily there are smart cookies like you to keep up literary and scientific standards.

eileen and Melody Mc. like this.
  11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Haha No, its a Dove that sleeps in the greenhouse! Gosh, I hope the bears never find it!

12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

These are really splendid photos Sjoerd. :) I really love the one with the Dove sitting on it's sibling. ( nudge nudge Frank...that's a beaut!);)

Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much Mel. Haha yes, the one sitting on the other— it did that several times. It would eat, fly away, and come back. Every time if returned to eat, it always first landed on the other dove before easing down to the eating tray. I have seen it doing the same thing when that feeding container was located on the ground. The one that gets landed on shown no reaction to the antics and simply continues eating.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Haha… well Netty, I thought so, but the wording confused me— I am easily confused.
    I hope he never finds it too. Do you often have a bear on your property?