The feeders have been full with the young Orioles...

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sherry8, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I love watching young birds playing in the yard...I have a hummingbird swing (which the hummingbird hasn't used) and the Orioles like to sit on it . I haven't had a camera in hand when it happens ... They are visiting the nectar and jam quite often and if I don't have enough containers out, they can get a little nasty with one another...

[​IMG]
    Young Oriole... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Young Orioles... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Young Oriole... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You know I could swear that the Oriole in the last shot has a smug look on its face!! I think that one, at least, is going to have no problems thriving in the wild.
    Thanks again for your photographs - they're always a real pleasure to look at.

Frank likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

And then there was one. I'm with Eils, there is a bit of a "get off my lawn" face in the last photo. Thanks for sharing these photos Sherry.

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Eileen and Frank...you could be right...the strongest will survive. Most of the time I have 4 cups of jam out so they don't peck at one another...thank you

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow sherry. I haven't hardly seen any of our earlier orioles. Once in a great while I will have one check out our hummer feeder. You sure have a bumper crop of young ones there. We also have way to many wasps around to put out jelly any more. What fun that is to watch all of their antics.

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

The wasps have been leaving the jam/jelly alone so far...I know they will find it and then I will have to quit feeding them. I will keep up with the sugar water, they seem to be drinking more than ever this summer. I am just happy they are still here...
    .....I am having trouble with the wasps eating the Monarch eggs. I doubt if I will see another caterpillar unless I can get rid of the wasps. The wasps are really large this year.

8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sherry yes they are. I had some trying to make a nest inside our soffit by our front door. So I got out the vinegar and was able to spray them as they tried to land and crawl in their new home. At one time there was about 6 wasps coming and going and bringing stuff in their mouths to feed whatever was up inside the soffit. :mad: I think I have gotten rid of them all. I have been mixing peppermint oil in with my vinegar and am still spraying the soffit area. I HATE those crummy buggers.
    I didn't know that wasps ate Monarch eggs. Now I really hate those critters. We have been seeing quite a few Monarchs this year and have a lot of milkweed growing in our field and woods. I still have hummers but like I said I have not seen any orioles for quite a few weeks. Glad you get to enjoy them.

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am still getting orioles 8/19 but I haven't had the time to take photos with my small dog recovering from surgery... I just can't believe how large our wasps are...now they are coming in supersize. Have a great day everyone..