The fight goes on!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Capt Kirk, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Was out looking at my plants again this morning and the coons had dug up both of my cantalopes. They were both totally out of the ground. I replanted them but I doubt if they will survive. Almost all of the roots were ripped off. I think the coons are ticked off that they can't get to my maters that are 6 ft. in the air.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

So sorry to hear about your cantalopes Capt. I hope they pull through for you. It's so frustrating isn't it?

4. Beesplace

Beesplace New Seed

I feel so bad for you, I hope they do come back...
    I am worried about the same thing happening with my garden, lets hope the fence we are putting around it will distract them....Its 4 1/2 ft high picket and the bottome 25 inches has chicken wire on it....I guess it is just a matter of what and see.

5. aloes

aloes New Seed

Hi I am aloes from South Africa. Your heading caught my eye so I dropped in quickly. My husband and I were both amazed to read that the coons can be a nuisance. Those pretty little animals with the mask on? and busy little hands? You are talking of them or not.
    It would be really nice to experience the those animals in the wilds, reading on the www is better than nothing.
    I have sympathy for you too. Hope all end well.

Advertisement
  6. Chitweed

Chitweed In Flower

Goodness Capt. I hope your lopes are ok.
    Keep an eye on those 'maters!
    Darn racoons can be awful can't they?
    My friend had all her baby chicks taken, a duck killed (they tried to pull her thru the cage she slept in at night), and her Lovebirds (also caged) killed (just feathers left) all in one night.

7. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Coons are adorable, but they can wreak so much havoc! Chitweed, Im so sorry for your friend. That must have been awful! Capt, hope your plants do ok!

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I may not have 'coons but I have squirrels that are quite destructive enough for me. Racoons may look cute but with those dexterous little hands they can certainly destroy plants in your garden in no time at all. I hope your canalopes make it CK.

9. Capt Kirk

Well they didn't make it. I went out a while ago and they were all wilted down and starting to dry out. I had watered them in when I replanted them, but not enough roots left on them to survive. I have planted new seed and should still get some melons before frost time. I have them caged with fencing now and if need be I can run an extention cord out there ! Maybe a couple of zaps of electric would deter them!

10. Chitweed

Chitweed In Flower

ooooooh. Inventive and devious. I like! I bet you have time for some lopes from seed. They are fast!

11. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Howdy, CK;
    Allow me to suggest a string of blinking Christmas tree lights if you can safely run extension cords to the area where your plants are. Put a timer in the circuit and have them come on about dusk and stay on all night. The 'blinking' factor is necessary.
    Hank

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Sorry to hear about your cantalopes.I know how bad racoons can be as they messed up a big corn patch for my dad.They strip the shuck down ans eat the corn.They are so cute and so destructive.

13. arv

arv Seedling

I am having trouble with cats !! They don't intentionally dig out my plants but they like sitting on my plants and breaking them .

14. Capt Kirk

Well I think I may have given the coons a bad rap on the melons. I found out this morning that it is probably skunks. They are attracted by the damp earth from my watering, and then they dig, looking for grubs. The guy who told me this is having problems with them digging up his garden. He has seen them in it at night. You can bet I won't be shooting them that close to the house!

15. Spring_rain

Spring_rain New Seed

This is my first year trying canteloupes. I put them under hot hats to protect them, but there were already flea beetles in the soil. I've lost three canteloupe plants so far. Out of three.

Squirrels are the troublemakers in my garden. They've destroyed probably over a hundred unripe peaches on my tree. They take one bite, throw it on the ground, grab another....

16. pharmerphil

pharmerphil New Seed

the christmas lights may work, unfortunately, most "scare" devices only work for a time, then the "critters" get used to it.
    Had a coon problem once...gave them lead poisoning