The First Purple Sprouting Harvest

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I got the planting all wrong last summer and planted the Purple Sprouting Broccoli way too late. I'd have to dig out my black book, but I think that was late July or early August (absurdly late,I know).

Oh well, so we didn't get to harvest them in January or February as we normally do, but I am here to tell you, the wonderful taste of these freshly cut broccolis was nothing less than sublime.
    We had them with spuds and cheese soufflé's this evening for supper.
    Here are a few pics of them on the plant and the first little harvest.

Here three plants producing decent main heads with very acceptable sideshoots in terms of size and numbers.
    The first foto shows the 'Rudolph'.
    [​IMG]
    The next foto shoews the 'Redhead" variety.
    [​IMG]
    The third type is 'Claret', I believe--as I said I don't have my little black book handy at the moment
    (I have a planting sketch in the book indicating what is planted where).
    [​IMG]
    Here is the first small harvest flopped unceremoniously on the patio table.
    [​IMG]

Of course taste is very personal, but for my palate, this broccoli is more flavourful than the green Calabrese that one can easily find in the super markets...and it is quite easy to grow.

I start them off in the green house and pot them on twice before planting them in the garden, making sure that they have a good root ball to help stem the infection of "club root" (caused by Plasmodiophora brassicae.
    Basically, if you keep the cabbage butterfly from laying eggs on the plants, you may have no other problems...it's just a question of waiting.
    I always use netting with smallish holes to keep butterflies and birds off the plants.

A couple of weeks before harvesting I side dress the plants with bloodmeal and scratch and water it in. A bit of extra water at this time is good if it hasn't been raining.

The central crown gets taken first and it's early removal will stimulate growth of the sideshoots, if they are not already present. I use a sharp knife and make one quick and clean cut.

I clip the sideshoots off, but some purists maintain high and low that they should be 'snapped-off'--why, I do not know.

I know that not everyone eats the stems of calabrese, but the stems of the PSB are tender and I take them with stems, leaves and all, then cook them that way. Just look in that last picture again, see the length of the sideshoots' w/stems? --That's exactly the way I cook them up.

These are worth a try if you have never grown them and want something to harvest during the winter.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looks great Sjoerd. I gave up growing Broccoli due to the amount of cabbage worms I would find on them...it really turned me off!! (Funny thing, they wouldn't touch my red cabbage)

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

ah sjoerd! such beautiful pics!

this is one of our favorites too! i have not seen so many varieties as you have grown? we only have grown one and it's just called Purple Sprouting Broccoli. i will have to look around for the varieties you mention. that Claret is a beauty!

we have a real problem with aphids in our broccoli. we might try covering them with some reemay cloth this year. have you had aphids in yours sjoerd, and if so, do you have a remedy?

5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I am in the same boat as you Sjoerd. Planted mine late, and in dappled shade, so mine are just thinking about sprouting! I need the ground for spuds so they need to get a move on!! I have more luck with purple sprouting than green, and it is harder to get, and so delicious! I love the slim florets steamed like asparagas and dunked in soft, salty butter. mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

NETTIE & BUNKIE: I use enviromesh to keep the aphids off the brassicas when they are bad. It is the only thing that IU have found that will work...but it works absolutely.
    I googled "enviromesh" and this is the first link that I found: http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acat ... cides.html
    If you do not know this product there is tons tpo read on the internet. I use it every year primarily for Calabrese, Kohl Rabi and Cauli's...If I am growing carrots it also protects from carrot fly.

My oh my EJ, you DO know what's good, don't you! :p

BTW Bunkie, that type that you grow--the "Purple Sprouting Broccoli" I have grown as well, but I find that other sorts seem to produce more to harvest. It is reliable though.
    I grew four types this year to see which ones did best. So far the PSB is lagging behind the others...but this is not a bad thing--when the others have finished producing, my harvest will be extended because the PSB will then be ready for cutting. ;)

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Ooh, yummy. I remember growing broccoli when I was a little girl -- and it was so delicious, couldn't even compare to grocery broccoli. mmm, mm mmm. I am so envious of your veggie garden... always excited to see a photo post from you.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It's so tasty-looking! :D I like broccoli but haven't had any luck with growing it. Hm. I might have to remedy that.

Do you still like to play with Rubik's Cube, Sjoerd, or is it one of your neighbours' toy?

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Pass me some butter and cheese ummmm
    Looks so very tasty.Good crop Sjored.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a very nice thing to say, Daisy.
    Well Droopy, that isn't actually a Rubik's Cube, it's a ash tray for my partner and guests that drop by.
    Butter and cheese coning up, Glenda.

11. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

sjoerd, thanks for the link on the enviromesh! i am googling it and all i can find is outlets in the UK that sell it. will have to see if there's something similar here in the states. i know i bought reemay cloth (agribon) from Johnny's last year, but not sure if it is light enough for summer growing. i wonder if it's the same?

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello Bunkie,
    Enviromesh is not the same as Reemay Cloth.
    I saw on e-bay that enviromesh was for sale in the U.S.

13. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

sjoerd, i checked ebay and it still is coming from the UK. i was looking for a source in the states. i just emailed the company you posted above to see if they will sell to the states.

i was also looking at Agribon, lightweight. is that the same as Enviromesh? i'm getting the feeling it isn't! it looks like the Environmesh is a lot sturdier than the rest.

will let you know the outcome! and thanks for the help...

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I had a look at the Agribon light weight...I do not believe that it is the same.
    Enviromesh is very sturdy and looks like screen door screening but the holes are smaller and it is made from a dureable u.v. stabilised polyethylene. You can even wash it at low temps.

I see that the original supplier is indeed in the U.K.
    You could also try Amazon. Their suppliers are also in the U.K., but I'll bet they will send it to you. it's light weight, so the shipping shopuldn't be too expensive.

Good luck, Bunkie.

15. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

whoa!honestly, never tasted a purple broccoli so i'm more then amazed to see one. :oops:

16. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

as well as beautiful looking, it's really tasty blackrose!

sjoerd, i'm just not having any luck. i wrote the company you posted and they don't ship to the US. i checked Amazon, and there's no listing of the material.

i see there are several producers in the UK, so guess i'll just go ahead and write them all. somebody must ship to the states?!

i can't believe it's been around for 15 years! you'd think it would've hit the states by now. maybe Agribon is the stateside competition???! :D