The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good afternoon, our temp hit 83 yesterday. Islandlife I will trade with you anytime you want. Today is more reasonable/seasonable at 53 and next week we should get some real winter temps.

cajuncappy likes this.
  2. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@toni - Anytime you want a Canadian experience just head on up :) Got lots of room and, if you don't mind non-stop rain + snow, there is lots to see and do here :) :) (Although summer time is much better time to visit :) )

cajuncappy likes this.
  3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I agree ... those are temperatures I can only dream about until summer arrives! It is currently -7°C (19°F) and windy feeling more like -15°C (5°F). Snow blowing all around and covering the ice of yesterday ... makes for a tricky dog walk. Just 2 more days in 2016, boy did this year go quickly!!
    Not sure of todays plans, other than 2 hours of ice time for my daughter to practice. It may be a lazy day!

cajuncappy likes this.
  4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

The count down had started ... A Very Happy New Year to all!!! :)

cajuncappy likes this.

Advertisement
  5. toni

Islandlife, rainy is my second favorite weather....snow being the first. As far as I concerned you can have all of my summer and "summer like" weather you want.
    I have lived in Texas for all but about 6 years of my 70 years on this earth and I can definitely say that I HATE summer here. I really believe that in a previous life I lived somewhere like Vermont and to this day I really miss the cold and snow.

6. Netty

Happy New Year everyone!! Currently -1°C and overcast. We had a lot of fluffy snow fall yesterday, and everything has a nice, fresh coat for the new year.
    Made it up to midnight, but just barely. Today, I'm canning beans and some cranberry sauce. Used the last jar of cranberry sauce for Christmas dinner.
    I will probably start taking down the Christmas decorations today, but will leave the tree for a few more days.
    Have a great day all :)

cajuncappy and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello.
    I am just sort of lounging-about here....pretty sleepy. We stayed out until 04.00 hours last night, so I got up really late and still did not sleep eight hours. Yawn....
    Our decs will go down on the day we call, "3-Kings". I am always sorry to remove the colourful lights all around the house.
    Hope you guys all had a really good "Season".

cajuncappy likes this.
  8. toni

Good morning all. Woke up on January 1st to a drizzly day. My Mom used to say that the weather on New Years Day will indicate what the weather will be like all year....she also said that what you do on New Years Day is what you will be doing all year long too. That's probably why she tried to get me to clean my room on New Years Day, hoping it would be an event that happened regularly throughout the year (or at least more often than in past years).
    We didn't make it to the changing of the year last night, just couldn't stay awake that long. Plus since many of our immigrant neighbors have brought from their homeland the habit of shooting off guns to celebrate certain events, we figured being at the back of our house in bed would be safer than sitting in the living room at the front of the house when the drinking and shooting started.

9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@toni - I love the summers and, in particular, the SUN! ;) and summers here are wonderful however fall, winter and spring with incessant rain and no sign at all of sun can be downright depressing.

As a tidbit of trivia to living where there isn't much sun - There is also an interesting sideline here that many of us who live here are very deficient in Vitamin D (me included requiring I take a daily suppliment). Research and studies are on-going however there is a suspected link to MS. I'm probably the only one of my group of same age female cousins on my fathers side who hasn't been diagnosed with this.

10. toni

From my point of view, the 232 days a year of sun that we have are depressing....but that's just me. :)

11. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently -6°C and sunny. Yesterday was a lovely day, with temperatures near the freezing mark and lots of sunshine. I made sure to get out and soak up some vitamin D. Today looks to be the same sort of day. I took down most of the decorations and all that is left is the tree and the garland and lights on the banister. I'm not ready to take those down yet. Have a great day all :)

12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@toni - I think we all lust after and want what we don't have ;) and that is probably what makes the world go 'round. Today it is cold here but we do have sun so 'soon' I'm gotta be out there soaking up a few rays :)

13. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

2017 started off soggy and today there are warnings out for tornadoes and such it is very wet out so we are in watching tv playing board games ad hoping for a dry out so we can continue playing in the yard. Hope ya all ahd great starts to your new year. We ahve company who decided to stay with us today cause the weather aint good for driving and das a good thing!! if ya gonna be hot and clammy on a rainy day ya might as well have company

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We had a power outage at 5 a.m. on the second day of the New Year--sure hope Toni's mother's prognostication doesn't hold true for us!
    When the power came on three hours later, I got busy doing laundry and cleaning the kitchen. Again, I hope Toni's mother was wrong!
    All the decorations are down and stored away for next year, and I'm thinking of perusing the seed catalogs we've received so far, marking what I want to order.

15. Netty

Good Tuesday evening all. Currently 2°C and raining. It has been raining all day. The snow is melting and there are puddles everywhere. Hopefully all this water will fill up our well, which has been very low since early fall. Spent the day with my girls and son in law today, shopping at Costco and the mall. Fun day it was!
    All the decorations and the tree have been put away now. Time to get back to reality!
    Have a good night all!

cajuncappy, Frank and carolyn like this.