The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all. We are having weird weather for August, lows in the mid-70s and highs in the mid-90s. But never fear I have all the confidence in the world that H****** temps will return in the very near future. We have already had a few days of 100+ and with August being our usual hottest month I know it won't disappoint us by being pleasant and comfy.

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Love this weird August weather! It was 73 when I got up and so pleasant outside. I watered the peppers, fed and watered the hens, dodged kittens (yes, we still have the full contingent. Anyone want a cute kitten?), and picked tomatoes. As long as this cool spell lasts, I intend to enjoy it!

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 13°C and clear. Yesterday was a scorcher and I worked 2 jobs in that heat. I came home VERY grumpy and hot. Took the dog for a walk and the skies turned black and we ran home. Winds got very strong and the clouds rolled past, but not a single rain drop fell here. Wind did seem to blow away some of the humidity, but it was still quite hot. Looks like I'll have another watering day today. Have a great day all :)

4. toni

Good morning all. Watching the rain forecast for last night and early today the weather guy's map kept showing cloudless spaces over where I live and by golly he was pretty much right....we got a whopping .09 in the rain gauge...9 one-hundredths of an inch. Might be more of this drizzle all day so maybe by the end of the 'storms' my yard will have gotten a full 1/10 th of an inch.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thankfully we got the rain cover over the sun-drying tomatoes before the rain came. We've had 1/4" so far, and it is still drizzling. This is so much better than a downpour that mostly runs off and doesn't soak into the soil.
    Since outside activities are limited today, I'm making a pot of ham and beans, and baking pumpkin/pecan bread. Since Mother Nature gave us a pumpkin vine in the compost pile, and a lovely big pumpkin, I feel obligated to put the pumpkin to good use!

6. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 13°C and clear. Lots of thunderstorms around me again yesterday, but not a drop of rain fell here. I gave the veggie garden a good watering so it should rain today lol I'm off to work ... another day of hot temperatures and dragging hoses. Have a great day all :)

7. toni

Good warming up and muggy Morning all. The rain yesterday was a 'wash-out' (pun intended) for my yard, less than a tenth of an inch which just barely got plant leaves wet and never had a chance of actually reaching any roots.
    I have started on another sweater for me, one I have had the pattern and yarn to make for a while. I have movies picked out and plenty of coffee so I should be able to get a good start on it.

8. Netty

Good Friday morning all, and TGIF! Currently 17°C and overcast. We finally got hit with some rain last night, not a lot, but enough that I shouldn't have to water anything today. There is still a chance of rain today, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an early start to my weekend. Have a great day all :)

9. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently just 12°C and cloudy with a north wind. Rather cool for August, but I'll take it.
    Had my morning walk through the garden and discovered that I have a LOT of work to do!! Will do my inside chores quickly and then get to it!
    Have a great day all :)

10. toni

Good morning all. We are having some wet and coolish weather for August too. Not much rain but that is normal for August down here.
    If I took a walk through the garden, saw work that needs to be done I couldn't get to it before October so I have stopped looking at the garden at all. Too depressing.

11. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 17°C and sunny. Yesterday only reached 16°C and so we are already ahead haha
    Got the big garden edged, weeded and deadheaded yesterday, and a start on the back garden. Hopefully I can get it done today, but I also have grass to cut, zucchini relish to finish, laundry to fold and the pool to vaccuum. We shall see how the day goes.

12. toni

Good afternoon all. Started out 83 and muggy and going up from there today. There is fairly good chance of thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow but in the mean time the temp today will reach 99+ so with heat like that the thunderstorms could be pretty severe. Oh, whoopie, it's feast or famine in our weather this week.

13. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It was cloudy here all morning. Now, it's raining with a lot of thunder. No lightning that I've seen yet. It may be 1/2 to an inch before midnight. We are in for the day so let it rain. I've got to clean off my sewing table. We went to an estate sale yesterday and everything I bought seems to have been stacked on the sewing table. What dr bought went onto a shelf in the garage. Have a good evening. dooley

14. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently 13°C and cloudy. It's dark when I walk the dog now, on the weekday mornings before work.
    Off to work, but I'm not happy about it. Its a civic holiday, and everyone seems to get the holiday except for me! I could have used an extra day this weekend!

15. toni

Good morning all. Got another smidgen of rain last night....some thunder storm that turned out to be....NOT. Keep getting this much rain and my garden will have gotten a whole inch by the end of the month.

Netty the only way I can tell that the days are getting shorter is that about 7 weeks after the Summer Solstice the sun is shining directly into our east facing bathroom window. And 7 weeks after that is the Autumnal Equinox.