The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

TGIF! Currently 17°C and clear. Sky is so clear and there are so many stars!
    Working for Friday all week, and I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow.
    Its going to be a long, hot day with lots of watering.
    Have a great day all :)

2. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 19°C and sunny. We are under a heat warning, which is just crazy for this time of year here in southern Ontario! Today the humidex will reach 40°C!
    I will be taking it easy today, and trying not to let the heat into the house. I'm so glad we kept the pool open!

3. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently 20°C and clear. I survived yesterday, but today I have to actually WORK in this heat!
    Should be a day full of watering. 2 more days of this heat and then we should get back to normal.
    Yesterday actually broke some heat records!

4. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 15°C and clear. It's going to be another scorcher today.
    And that means another day of water, water, watering! Heat is supposed to break Thursday.
    Treating myself to a chiropractic appointment this afternoon!

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good afternoon all. Another week starting out weird....quick trip to the doctor for Randy and a diagnosis of Bells Palsy. Strong doses of a steroid and an antibiotic and he should be back to normal in 3-6 months.
    Then a quick (1.5 hours each way) down to his Mom's to get late arriving pension papers filled out and in the mail. Home to find a notice from the city that the trees in the backyard are hanging too low to the pavement....most are at least 6 feet off the ground but they require 12 foot clearance. That comes from at least 30 years ago when the weekly trash pickup was done down the alley by BIG trucks...now they pick it up at the curb but the code hasn't changed.
    Last week was sooooo quiet, calm and friendly, I just knew some time there would be a change and life would gobsmac us upside the back of the head again.

6. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 10°C and windy from the north.
    The heat wave is over and now I am back to wearing pants to work. It was nice while it lasted!
    Off to work, to trim and water. Tomorrow MAY bring rain, but I'm not going to count on that.

7. toni

Good morning all. We got rain overnight, only .86 of an inch but it is the first 'rain' we have gotten since August 14th. In that between time we have gotten a couple of .03 and a .12 but those didn't even wet the ground. And it still sprinkling, just hope this is only the beginning of actual rainy fall weather..

8. Netty

Yay Toni, so happy for your rain! I'm hoping weatherman isn't lying to me and rain will fall here today too! It's been 19 days since we had any.
    Good morning all. Currently 5°C and clear, but I can see the giant cloud looming in the distance.
    Off to work, to finish gathering decorating props and do some deadheading and weeding. I am counting on the rain, so it had better not let me down!
    DD returns from her school trip today, we sure have missed her!

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty, I missed that your dd was going on a trip. where did she go? hope she comes back with having had an awesome experience. One of my sons just got back from Fla... he absolutely loved it. said he would like to live there. well.... no laws are keeping him here. I wouldn't want to live there but each to his own.
    Baking bread today for my last markets. 2 of them tomorrow. I did 28dz cookies and 14 loaves of quick bread yesterday. today I will do about 25 loaves of yeast bread. done for the year then.

10. toni

Good morning all. Got another .10 inch of rain overnight and it is sorta spitting out there still. My plants are all doing a dance of joy. After 45 days with nothing they think they have died and gone to heaven....actually some have died during that 45 days and gone to plant heaven and many will be getting pulled up this weekend and joining the compost barrel of fun in the backyard.

I lived in south Florida for 7 years, lots of roaches the size of a dollar bill, snakes that live up in Palm trees, mildew covering leather boots in just 6 months....nope not again. Not to mention the snowbirds who move down in the fall and complain about everything.

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We received a half-inch of rain last evening and overnight--not a downpour, but a nice soak-in rain that is so good for our plants! I had put the last lettuce seeds in the day before, so the rain came at the right time!
    Today is overcast, and we've had a few spits and spurts, like Toni has had. I'm going to enjoy having the house open (temps in the high 60's) and sitting on the patio tonight with a glass of wine and a big smile on my face!

12. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 2°C and clear. We had RAIN yesterday! I was thankful for an early day at work. I was able to get a lot of my errands done, as well as get my daughters skates sharpened for the opening day of skating tomorrow, and visit my other daughter and her husband and doggies. It was a good day, despite the rain and high winds.
    Today, Lots of housework and paperwork to do. Have a great day all :)

carolyn likes this.
  13. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It was sunny here today but cool. Temps were in low 60's. I wore my fall coat to go to the Farmer's Market downtown on Main Street. It goes for 6 or 8 blocks on both sides of the street. Street is blocked off on both ends and at each block. We wanted to buy some apples and found some great looking Cortland apples. Bought some vegetables, too. We might go to the Tuesday market, too. It's just a few blocks from us. dooley

carolyn likes this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

That market sounds wonderful! Cortland apples are one of the few apples that don't turn brown after peeling or cutting. I always used them for salads.
    Do go to the Tuesday market and tell us what you found!

15. Netty

Cortland apples are my favourite!! I love this time of year for fresh apples ... bought some amazing 'Honeycrisp' apples the other day. I ate them ALL!
    Good Sunday morning all. Currently just 3°C and sunny. There was a heavy frost on the ground this morning, first one this year. I guess garden cleanup begins.
    Off to the arena today, to help prepare for the first day of skating tomorrow. I have one excited daughter!