The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

It feels cold here this morning with 40 degree temp and 15 mph winds and to be colder tomorrow with freeze warnings.

2. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It was just 37 degrees here this morning when I watched the news. It didn't feel like it got much warmer. Only 4 days left in October so maybe it's time for it to be colder. I'd like it to stay in the 60's. I sure miss living in Arizona or Texas. dooley

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good evening all. I did something not fun and relatively painful to my left knee yesterday working on a slope in the front north bed so I am not moving very gracefully today.....sorta feel like peg-leg Pete when I walk. (Not that I am old enough to remember that 1925 character first hand but I do remember seeing some cartoons on TV back in the '50s)
    A cold front moved through late last night and left some 50 deg temps in it's wake. Supposed to hit the low 30's tonight with a slight chance of frost in the morning....but back into the 80s next week.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Dooley, we miss you, too!
    It was 55 when I got up at 7 a.m., and that was pretty much where it stayed all day. The wind was howling with gusts up to 30 mph so it felt colder than the mid-50's. I went out to pick lettuce and had trouble keeping the lettuce leaves from being blown out of the basket!
    A pot of potato soup and some crusty bread warmed us up, and we gave scratch to the hens tonight. The four cats are tucked into a temporary cat shelter that is out of the wind and has an old sheet in it, so we'll probably all survive.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Hi everyone, as we slide gently towards winter, the garden is living on borrowed time and soon the abundance of beans, aubergines and peppers will end with the frosts. It seems we may still have 1 more week of grace.

carolyn likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I miss seeing you on here regularly. I miss your man as well. I do still have and use those wonderful bags and harvesting aprons....and we think of you every time we put them on, or wash them.
    I hope that all is well with you and that that you two are warm and comfortable. Please stay in touch.

7. dooley

It was 35 degrees here this morning and no sun today. Just sort of a dull gray color. Plenty of wind though. I sorted through the spare closet today and have the winter stuff fore front in case we need them. I did wear a down coat when we went to lunch today. I sewed two shopping bags this morning and may go do another one in a bit. I made 39 of them for the employees of a local restaurant during this past month. Now, I'm making six or eight for my son who still lives in Arizona. A store opened near him that requires him to have his own shopping bags. Now he is using bags from other stores but soon I will be mailing this reusable ones to him.
    It will be down near freezing temps tonight. I don't have an outside place for plants. Today was the last day for the Farmer's Market downtown. There will be an inside one at a middle school gym starting soon. dooley

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Odif

Odif Young Pine

0 degrees c out there. White magic crystals glistening in the early morning light.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds interesting Dooley--those markets. You ought to take some pics for us to see on here.That is a lot of people that will be enjoying and using your wonderful bags.

carolyn likes this.
  10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I think of Dooley eveytime I wear my apron :)
    Good Sunday morning all. Currently just 1°C and overcast. My morning dog walk was cut short because of some loose cows, so we will go out again later.
    Lots to do around the house today, but I may sneak off and finish a clients gardens this morning. I'll have time to do my own gardens someday.
    Have a great day all :)

11. dooley

I sewed this morning and almost had all of Daniel's shopping bags finished. I just had to zigzag around the interior so there's no chance of it coming apart if he puts too much into it. I double seam all of the bags and X the top of the handles where they join the bag. The handles also go clear down and are sewn into the bottom of the bag. I made a pocket on each side of the bag to hold flat things or wallets or keys. It takes about an hour to sew one. I am going to start and make some smaller bags for children. They like shopping bags, too. I gave one to a pre-school girl on the bus one day and she examined it all around and then turned to her mom and said, "Mom we can't go home yet. We have to go shopping so I can use my shopping bag. Everyone who was close laughed and cheered when mom told her they could stop at the store before they went home. I like sewing, I have lots of material and there are always people needing a shopping bag. I have all kinds of designs and colors, too. dooley

carolyn and Chrisle like this.
  12. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently just 3°C and breezy. I'm a little worried about the recycling boxes I put out for collection this morning. I hope the box isn't blown over and papers blown about! Off to work, where today I will put the Rose garden to bed. It should take a good part of the day.
    I also need to make an appointment for my daughter to see a Dr. I have a feeling she has an ear infection.

13. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 5°C and clear.
    It was a cold day working outside yesterday, so I hope today is better.
    Daughter has strep and so she will not be coming to work with me today on "Take your kid to work" day.

14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all. We had a bit of chilly weather yesterday with a piddlin' .05 of an inch of rain. Today is supposed to be in the upper 80 degree range with tomorrow hovering around 90. Last winter was three days in January and I hate to think that those three days have to serve as all the winter weather we get for the entire year. But the weather service is forecasting a very warm fall and winter for us again. You don't know how much I hope they are wrong!!!

15. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 10°C and pouring rain. It was a soggy dog walk to say the least!
    Off to work, only a half day today, to start taking down the fall decorations to make way for the Christmas decorators in a week or so.
    Only 1.5 days of work left for me, and I just can't wait to be home and start my fall cleaning! It was a very busy season and my house is a mess!