The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Friday morning all. Currently -6°C and overcast. It was a chilly dog walk this morning!
    Yes Toni, my son in laws family is very hands on - all of them! Not to mention that they live a lot closer to them, and when they build their new house they will just be down the street from them. I am going to have to figure out a way to get some quality time with baby!
    As for what I am going to be called ... I wanted to stick with my German heritage but MY mother is OMA, so I may go with what I called my grandmother - OMI. I'm sure baby will come up with his own name for me. My niece was the one who came up with the name 'Netty' ... I was always referred to as Auntie Annette until she learned to talk then I became 'Aunt Netty' which has stuck to this day (she is now 26!)
    Have a great day all :)

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all, we had a hard freeze overnight, first one since early January. Some of the annuals are sagging but the perennials are still standing tall.

Netty, I called my grandmother Gumba-Gumba, no one in the family ever figured out where I got that but as I got older I tried to change it to something a little less goofy sounding and she informed me that was her name and I was not to change it. And none of the other grandkids could ever call her that, I did shorten it down to just one Gumba when I was older.

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It is cold here but no snow yet. It may snow tonight or tomorrow. Texas, where we lived before moving back to Wisconsin, already has two or three inches of snow. Some friends posted pictures on facebook for us to see. dooley

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Only southern Texas, from San Antonio down to along the Gulf Coast got snow. We got cold air but not a drop of wetness.

Advertisement
  5. dooley

We did get about half an inch of snow last night. You can still see the grass through it. But, it was cloudy and a little windy today and nothing melted. We didn't go out at all. The parking lots here in the complex were not cleared. Probably the city streets are clear but we didn't go and check them. I think we may stay in tomorrow, too. I didn't sew today but I have lots of shopping bags for children cut out so I may do those tomorrow. Some have a Christmas pattern on them. dooley

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It would be nice to see those patterns, Dooley.
    Hope you and DR are staying warm there.

7. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -5°C and snowing. I'm having trouble getting into the spirit of Christmas this year, maybe this snow will help.
    I have some housework to do and then I'm heading to the arena to help celebrate Canada Skate 150 Day, a nation wide skating party!
    It should be a fun day!

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Well, I guess winter is here. The latest storm dumped 5-6 inches of white stuff. Snowplows make scraping noises in the night to build mounds of snow at the end of your driveway. The snowblower, well rested by its summer vacation, repositioned the snow to a more desirable location. The Juncos are now doing their winter dance below the bird feeder. The squirrels are taking several days off to relearn walking in the snow. Humans are installing trees on top of their cars and lighting up their houses with strings of colored lights. All signs that winter is here.

Jerry

9. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

Aw you sent the snow up to us. We got about the same here!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Say Netty---did you get to see any of the skating at Calgary this past weekend? I didn't get to see much of it because we here got live coverage, and that was a bit late for me during this past weekend. It is great that you guys had a nation-wide "holiday". Stay warm, you.

11. Netty

I wasn't aware of any skating events in Calgary this weekend Sjoerd! I know a few of our Canadian skaters won some medals in Nagoya, Japan this weekend, including one of our favourites Kaetlyn Osmond. We look forward to watching the winter Olympics!
    Good Monday morning all. Currently -14°C (BRRRRR!!) and sunny. It was a chilly dog walk this morning, thankfully no winds. There is a special weather statement in effect for later today ... heavy snow. I just hope it waits until after daughters skating classes tonight or I'm going to have to listen to her whine all night haha
    A mountain of laundry to fold today, and some gifts to wrap. I might even put the tree up if I have enough ambition!

12. dooley

A little snow overnight but no more today. The streets were cleared when we went to our 8 am appointment. It went quick and we were home by 8:30 am. I sewed another child size shopping bag this morning. It is cold here so I think I need to go use the oven to help warm it up. Cookies? dooley

Frank likes this.
  13. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Mild and raining here.

14. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -8°C and snowing. My daughter was hoping for a snow day, but there just wasn't enough to make it happen. I told her she still had hope for tomorrow as it is supposed to snow all day and then start blowing. We have about 3" of snow so far and its coming down fast.
    I got some gift wrapping done yesterday, and today I need to make up a final list of things to buy.

15. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Started off mild and raining this morning. Turned cold and snowing this afternoon.