The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently -2°C and cloudy.
    I have lots I could do today but I'm just not sure where to start. I'm not feeling ambitious at all.
    Maybe I should head out to my local Michael's store and get some craft supplies ... now THAT sounds good!
    Have a great day all :)

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Netty, shopping therapy is always a good start!!!
    Good morning all. I am heading out into the front yard....or back yard....or side yard ...in a few minutes. The weather turned cold on us over the weekend and the chill lingered around a couple of days longer but I think with the sun out and no wind I just might be able to spend a few hours in the one of the garden areas...hopefully successful hours and not just wandering around shaking my head and moaning about not being able to get much done before the summer weather sets in soon. We have low to upper 80 deg days coming and not long after those will be 90-100 deg days and my gardening will come to an end for most of the rest of the year.

3. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently -1°C and overcast. Weatherman says freezing rain today, I hope he's wrong. It's my day for shopping and errands!
    I didn't go shopping yesterday ... I behaved and stayed home and puttered around the house. I did get my tomatoes and cucamelons sowed, and seeds sorted.

4. toni

Good afternoon all. Nothing in the garden today, letting my back rest but I think I will be back out tomorrow. Today I am cleaning my craft/work room and listening to Styx, Kansas, Journey and probably some Highway Men!!

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently 1°C and cloudy. We are in for a wild weather ride this weekend!
    Starting later we will get rain. Tomorrow temperature drops and we will get a prolonged period of freezing rain, with ice accumulations of 20mm and strong winds.
    As if that wasn't bad enough, Sunday it will warm up slightly and bring heavy rain! So there has been a special weather statement issued for my area advising of possible power outages and flooding and asking people not to travel. How much fun is that?? :setf_050:
    I'm off this morning to fill up the car with gas and get a can for the generator. Better safe than sorry!

6. toni

Good morning all. Netty hopefully all the nasty weather will be lighter than they think and not cause problems for you all.

We have very warm temps (low 70s heading to around 90 by afternoon) this morning with a cool front moving through later. When a cool front meets temps as warm as this it usually creates hail, chance of isolated tornadoes and heavy rain. Oh, well, plants do need the rain.

Tomorrow should be cool and dryish. We are taking our oldest daughter and her sweetheart with us on one of our favorite junque paths. Benbrook to Granbury, 4 really cool junque/antique shops along the way and a really, really good Tex-mex restaurant at the end of the trail then back home.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  7. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 0°C and there are light ice pellets falling.
    The first round of the storm brought rain yesterday ... It rained steady ALL DAY. My sump pump is running steady and there is a lake in my front yard.
    Today, weatherman calls for freezing rain, which could accumulate as thick as 1.5 inches. So far its been ice pellets here, and that is much better than freezing rain. It may change to snow if the temperature stays cold. South of us is getting freezing rain right now. Later the winds will pick up.
    Tomorrow is our pot luck lunch and awards banquet for skating and I do hope the weather co-operates! I will be busy doing up some deviled eggs and banana bread today.

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

There was a lot of snow and ice to the north of us toward Green Bay. We didn't have snow but maybe rain because everything is covered with ice. The branches on the bushes are hanging down, covered with thick ice. I hope they don't break. The trees have ice, too. Some were just beginning to get leaf buds, too. It was snowing briefly this morning but it's quit. Weather report said it would start again this afternoon and go through early Monday morning. To the north they've had 12 inches and expect another 12 inches. Our report calls for 4 to 8 inches. dooley

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I've been reading about the wildfires in the panhandle of Texas and in Oklahoma, and the ice and snow and dire predictions across the midwest and upper plains. I have now stopped complaining about our high winds that are keeping me inside and out of the gardens.
    I do hope all our members who have bad weather don't have damage to plants or homes.

carolyn likes this.
  10. Odif

Odif Young Pine

We had a mild winter this year, A lot of snowfalls though. I am happy, even though our last frost date is mid may, I think it is over for this year. I wont plant outside my fragile plants before mid May though. I hope you people with ice fields soon get warmer too.

carolyn likes this.
  11. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -4°C with strong winds and overcast skies. Today will be day 3 of our winter storm ... and supposed to be the worst. Freezing rain will be most of the afternoon and evening and the winds will blow up to 90 km/hour. I just hope this all waits until after our awards presentation at the skating club today!
    I hate this weather and my anxiety will get the best of me today I am sure.
    Have a safe day all :)

12. dooley

Cold and blowing snow here. It started on Friday and will continue through Monday. It said we had 5 to 6 inches this morning but it looks like more here in the apartment complex. Everyone has been told to stay off the roads unless it's an emergency. You sure can't see where you are going. I can't see too much out our windows. I heard that there were trees down all over town. It sure is windy out there. They said on the weather wind gusts to 35/50 mph could happen in areas near Lake Winnebago. Sure glad we don't have to go out. The Sunday paper isn't worth it and the store is probably closed. dooley

It's snowed all day and the wind blew and we have a lot of snow, maybe 8 to 10 inches by morning. But, it's piled up very deep in some areas due to the wind. We didn't go out, just to the door to look at the snow. Streets were closed to most traffic and you could get a ticket if you if you went out and got stuck. No tow trucks were working today. I did see some snow plows by the hospital across the block by the hospital. I guess that's one place they try to keep clear. I hope tomorrow is better. The snow is supposed to stop before midnight. That doesn't mean the streets will be plowed tomorrow. dooley

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  13. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently 0°C and windy with overcast skies.
    We are on day 3 of the nasty ice storm here in southern Ontario. I have it better than many here ... I still have power and only about 1/2 inch layer of ice. All the schools are closed, the roads are impassable and there is still some rain in the forecast. I had a text from my daughter that has been without power since 3am. She is home alone with the (7 week old) baby and her husband has been trapped at work since Friday. She's getting a little panicked - her roof just started leaking and a large tree just came down in her backyard. I am not yet able to get to her, but I will as soon as I am able.
    Just let the dog out and the sound of the icy trees moving in the strong winds is creepy. I hate this weather.
    Hope everyone is warm and safe this morning

14. dooley

It's still snowing some and they said it will quit by 3 pm. There is almost 19 inches out there. I think that is a little more than 8 to 10 inches. But some friends to the north about an hours drive have 26 inches and it's still snowing there, too. Lots of drifts piled up from wind 35/50 mph. May just have cloudy skies on Tuesday and more snow on Wednesday and then cloudy the rest of the week. It could melt some because temperatures will be up to 47 degrees by Friday. Could cause some flooding with all that snow. dooley

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

oyvey! we feel for you. all of us seem to have something of a burden. we had 5" of rain yesterday.