The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We didn't get rain last night. The sun is shining today and it is in 70's. It was only 53 at 8 am this morning though. Maybe rain will come tonight into tomorrow. I don't know what to believe that those weather people say. It could be us, it could be north of us by Green Bay. The trees are starting to leaf out and some bushes and trees are flowering. I am thinking it won't go below 50 degrees again. I'm ready for it to stay in the 70's. I want to unpack the summer clothes. dooley

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Very few weather people actually do their own forecasting, most rely on one or more of the world-wide weather services who use the data they have to make forecasts. But most of them do not even agree with each other so each weather person looks at them and picks the one that is closest to what sounds right for their location.
    If you are lucky you have a local weather person who has actually studied weather patterns for their area and are right more often than not.

We have temps in the 88 to 92 degree range coming up next week. But then that's what we normally have in mid-to-late May.
    I now have two weeks to get plants in the ground, then we go on our anniversary vacation and summer sets in for real then I hibernate and watch the garden from the air conditioned inside of our house. That lasts until sometime in October when the temps drop to livable for me.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 13°C and sunny. Had a lovely dog walk this morning and now home to do some inside chores before heading outside.
    Daughter is nagging for me to put up the trampoline today, so I told her she had to bring all the pieces outside and I would help her put it together. It should be interesting to see if she does it and if she finds all the pieces haha
    I want to get the peas planted today, I hope I have enough time as we are also getting a visit from the kids and my grandbaby today!
    Have a great day all :)

4. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently 9°C and clear.
    Ah the start of a new work week ... would rather stay home and play in my own gardens but no one will pay me to do that.
    At least I got my peas in yesterday.
    A new skating session starts tonight for my daughter so I'll be busy today.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 7°c and clear. Its going to be another beautiful day!
    Off to work where spring cleanup continues, but at least I have a helper now.

carolyn likes this.
  6. toni

Good morning all. I have to start getting up earlier in the mornings now. Our temps will be hovering in the 90's every afternoon this week, warmer than normal but not unexpected.

7. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 7°C and clear.
    I'm very tired this morning, I was up late with my daughter after her skating class helping with homework.
    I'll be dragging my feet today! Spring cleanup at work continues. I wonder how many acres I have raked so far?

8. toni

Temp here reached 92 yesterday and should be around the same for the rest of this week and next week does not look any cooler. I hate summer.

9. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 8°C and rainy.
    Busy day at work yesterday, then 2 hours at a clients, and then home to make lunches, dinner, wash dishes, walk the dog and vaccuum. Must have been exhausted ... I slept like a baby last night! 10pm until my alarm went off at 5am and I didn't hear a thing between!
    Off to work, and then to do some shopping later.

10. Netty

Good Friday morning all and TGIF!!
    What a busy week! One more day of work and clients and then I will be able to sleep in. I have SO much to do around my home and gardens this weekend and I can't wait to get to it!
    I hope I can wrangle up some help from the kids.

11. toni

Good morning all. At 8:30 a.m. already 73 deg, humidity at 76% with a light breeze from the south bringing even more humidity into my life. No rain in the forecast for at least the next week.

12. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We had rain all day today. It wasn't warm either. It was only 41 when we were out after lunch today. It is expected to start getting warm tomorrow and be 70 again on Sunday. We are setting up at a Mother's Day flea market at the Antique Mall so I hope it gets warm early. It opens at 7 am. dooley

marlingardener likes this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I hope you are offering your wonderful bags and aprons at the market--I use mine so often, and think kindly of you and your sewing skills!
    I picked lettuce, sugar peas, green beans from the seasonal garden, and weeded the second planting of the green beans.
    I cut young grape leaves for dolmas for dinner. We only have dolmas once or twice a year, but they are delicious!
    Wish we had some of your rain--I'll be hauling rain water from the big cubes to water the vegetables tomorrow.

14. Netty

What are Dolmas?
    Good Saturday morning all. Currently 7°C and overcast with showers in the forecast.
    I'm headed out for a quick trip to town and then I am grounding myself to home for the weekend. I have so much to do!!

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, dolmas are stuffed grape leaves, Greek style. After blanching the leaves a tablespoon of the stuffing (raw ground beef, raw rice, olive oil, chopped dill, chopped parsley, and a grinding or two of white pepper) is put in the middle of the leaf which is shiny side down, and then the two sides are lapped over, then the bottom, and then the package is rolled to the point at the top of the leaf. The package should be loose since the rice will expand. In a heavy skillet pour beef stock until the packets are covered, weigh down with a plate, and simmer on low for about 1 1/2 hours. Dolmas should be served chilled or at room temperature.
    Today I'm recovering from making dolmas!