The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Bonjour! Yesterday afternoon it rained and today it has rained heavily.

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good late afternoon all. Got some cleaning up done out back, watered the newly in the ground plants. Only 89 today, 2 degrees less than the weather people thought it would be, which means this just might be the coolest day we have until sometime in late October.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday morning all. Currently 7°C and clear.
    It was a busy weekend around the house, but back to work today. Have an insurance adjuster coming over this afternoon to have a look at our woodstove and new furnace and oil tank.
    Skating tonight with my daughter.
    Have a great day all :)

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane what do the grape leave add to the dish? I have had the neighbor stop for grape leaves for their pickles? but I have never used them for cooking. just curious.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Grape leaves impart a dill flavor. I've used them in pickling also when my dill ran out.

6. toni

Good morning all.
    Our home central air conditioner went out on Saturday, repair man will be here today to assess the situation and let us know if it is worth repairing....probably not since I found the papers from the purchase of the system in 1997 so 21 years old probably means he will be installing a new one when he can. So there goes our anniversary vacation trip, but since hubby is still off next week we will make a couple of short day trips to find new junque shops in places not yet visited or not visited in many years. We do have small window units that we are running for the time being.
    We all like to sleep cold so each bedroom has one, Randy's office has one and my craft room has one....for those summers we have had where the central unit just could not keep up as it got older.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good morning! We have a cool breeze so I've been out weeding, dibbling for potatoes (fun!) and picking lettuce. I'm sending small bags of washed and spun lettuce with a friend who drives for Meals on Wheels. Fresh anything is so appreciated!
    I know I mention this every year, and y'all are probably tired of hearing it, but here I go!
    If you have the space, please plant a little extra for those who are too old, too infirm, or just don't have any dirt to dig in. The Center for Disease Control describes a "food desert" as an “area that lacks access to affordable fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low fat milk,” so their diet is limited, and their health can be affected. Food pantries are heavy on canned foods and pastas. Some can't accept fresh vegetables and fruits, and some don't have any offered to the pantry. If you can help, please do. Find someone to give fresh produce to, or contact your local food pantry or local churches, or hunt down someone who delivers meals for the home-bound and see if they can take a little something to brighten a day.

carolyn likes this.
  8. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 10°C and raining. Rain ... yay! This was an unexpected surprise and it started right in the middle of my dog walk. I just moved my seedlings outside to enjoy the rainy, overcast day. I hope I don't regret that.
    Off to work and a trip to the greenhouse

9. toni

Good cloudy albeit muggy morning all. First chance of rain in 10 days and today is the day our new AC system will be installed, rain means they will be back another day.

We had to change our anniversary trip from all next week along the Texas Gulf Coast to two days and one night in north, central Texas. Going to check out Nocona, Texas and haunt some good junque stores in Weatherford with a night in Bowie, Texas.
    Nocona was named for Comanche Chief Peta Nocona. Weatherford was named for a State Senator from there in the 1800's and is known for being the birthplace and childhood home of Mary Martin (some may remember her as Peter Pan on Broadway in the 50's). Bowie (the city and the county) were named after the knife fighter James Bowie who died at the Alamo (Richard Widmark played him in the only good movie version of The Alamo released in 1960)
    Hint for future....if you don't want to learn Texas history then be wary of reading some of my posts!!!;)

daisybeans likes this.
  10. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 8°C and clear. Yesterdays rain lasted a good part of the day and I can hear the gardens rejoicing! I managed to get the back garden weeded about 1/4 of the way after work, and will try another 1/4 tonight. It was so weedy I felt overwhelmed! Also stopped at the greenhouse and bought myself a new Hosta :)

11. toni

Good morning all. AC/furnace install crew was here from about 2 p.m. until almost 8 p.m. But it's all installed and cooling the house down so nice and it will be nice to not have to light the furnace by hand if we need it next winter.
    We got absolutely NO rain yesterday or last night, once again it went around us. Summer is here, or I should say pre-summer is here, we have a forecast of temps almost reaching 100 degrees for the rest of May.

12. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 10°C and sunny.
    Off to work for another busy day, and then to a friends to help with their garden.
    Maybe tomorrow I'll get to work in my own garden!

daisybeans likes this.
  13. Netty

Good Friday morning all and TGIF!!
    I had a horrible day yesterday so I can only hope today is better. I also have black fly bites all over my face and neck from working at a clients house last night. I am not used to Black Flies as there are none at my house or at work, but they sure are nasty little things!!
    One more day to get through and then on to the long weekend. It couldn't come at a better time.

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It's been raining for 6 days and I'm not complaining. Except that, prior to last night, NONE of my gutters was flowing freely -- ALL overflowing. I dislike heights, but, with four more days of rain predicted, I had to tie my shoes on tight and get up on the extension ladder and clear them out. Which I did. I got two large rocks and placed one on each leg at the base on the ground for stability. I thought that was a pretty ingenious solution to not having a person to hold the ladder! It went very well. I felt pretty happy after I finished. All but one cleared fully -- that last one will need a little more work. I also made note of the gutter and downspout repairs that need to be done in each area.

Netty likes this.
  15. Netty

Way to go daisybeans!
    Good Saturday morning all. Currently 10°C and raining. Glorious rain! We needed it so badly, and with this being the big 'planting weekend' for my area the timing couldn't be better.
    Today I will let mother nature water while I get my house work done. Tomorrow I plant!

daisybeans likes this.