The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday morning all. Currently 12°C and clear. We did get about 10 minutes of light rain yesterday. Not enough to water the gardens, but it's better than nothing.
    I guess it will be another day of dragging hoses at work today. I do hope my assistant is able to come to work today!
    Have a great day all :)

2. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It's almost evening now but it doesn't look much different than it has all day. It's been cloudy and gray and windy but the rain hasn't reached us yet. Maybe it will just come overnight. It was just in the low 70's. I sat at the sewing table and cut out shopping bags. I have filled my basket to the top so will have to work on sewing them tomorrow. I did manage to cut some child size ones so will have some to give kids when we see them. I always carry several with me and sometimes we go ride the bus around and talk to people and kids and I give some of them shopping bags. You all have a good evening and stay dry. dooley

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Dooley, so good to hear from you! Today I was wearing my "harvest apron" that you gave me--I had tomatoes in it, as well as the soft ties for the stray tomato limbs. It's so handy (I'll have to launder it when I can spare it for a day!).
    We had 3/4" of rain yesterday--most welcome. We don't really want to stay dry, but your thought is kind. First cutting of hay during the past two weeks, so there are large round bales all over. Our garden is down to squash, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Everything else has been harvested and done.

4. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 10°C and overcast. Weatherman says we are getting rain today, 20-30mm and I do hope that is true. We need rain badly!
    Off to work, where I may finally get to all those jobs I put off until 'the next rainy day'.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently 15°C and clear. This is the first day of a heatwave that is being predicted for the next 2 weeks and perhaps beyond.
    It's going to be a day of lots of watering!

6. Netty

Good Sunday morning all, and Happy Canada Day to all the Canadians out there!
    Its day 3 of our heatwave, and at 9:30 am it is already 28°C (82°F) feeling like 38°C (100°F). Us Canadians aren't really used to this kind of heat!
    I've walked the dog, watered the garden and done some weeding/deadheading in the flower beds. I am going inside now until this evening when it cools off. I may have a few dips in the pool in between.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Netty don't ever visit Texas in Summer, 85 deg in summer is a cold front. Our highs are running in the 100's and will continue for a few days then it drops down in the mid-90s for a few days then back up to 100. This heat started very early for us....back in April... and is trying to rival the summer of 1980. Bad news for plants and people.

We have spent the past two days helping our oldest daughter and her family move from a cramped apartment to a nice rent house. The mover didn't show up on Friday as promised so we started loading cars and our truck and making trips to the new place. The mover called Friday night to beg forgiveness and his crew showed up before 8 Saturday morning and had most everything moved by 10, there was still some things like fridge contents that we did later. Now they are moved, old apartment is cleaned, keys turned in and a life in a new place has started.
    Then we picked up our youngest daughter for her annual birthday dinner at her favorite Chinese restaurant...at least they had scallops and veggies that I love, she had a steam pot of what I call 'squidly bits'. Then some shopping at Half-Price Books, Barns and Noble and then to Paciugo for some of the best gelato around.

8. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Already 30°C at 11:20 am, its going to be another hot one!
    I did some watering, but now I'm inside for the day. When it cools down later I'll go outside.
    I'm crafting today ... making a sign for a friends porch. I don't usually have time for crafting this time of year, so I guess being stuck inside in this heat isn't ALL bad.

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It's been in the 80's and 90's here in Wisconsin with a few days over 100 degrees. 80's is usually our summer weather here so we are feeling the heat and humidity that's high also. But, does it keep us inside where it's cool. Nope! Out we go here and there. I always carry one or more shopping bags that I manage to sew most days. I love to see the smiles on people's faces when I give them a shopping bag, especially the kids. They always seem to find things to fill them up before they get off of the bus or out of where ever they are when I give them a bag. I get material ends and pieces from the St. Vincent DePaul store and the first Monday of the month is half price day so I got quite a few smallish pieces today for a pretty good price. This room is still stacked with material so I'm not going to run out any time soon. dooley

10. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 17°C and clear. 17°C feels cool after the temperatures we have been having! Off to work, to try to get things watered before it gets too hot again. It's not going to be as bad as yesterday or tomorrow. Have a great day all :)

11. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 15°C and clear.
    The coolness of the morning is just a tease, as the heat wave continues today. With humidex it will feel like 40°C again, making it brutal for those of us that work outside.
    Lots of water and shade breaks are what get me through the day.
    Have a great day all and stay cool :)

12. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 18°C and clear. Well today the heat is going to break, or so they say. Cold front is to move through later today and bring with it some much needed rain, hopefully not in the form of severe weather. But first, I need to get through a day of heat breaking records again!
    It couldn't come at a better time ... I really can't take much more of this heat!

13. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently 19°C and clear. The heat broke with a few thunderstorms yesterday, and glorious RAIN!
    Today should be much better to be working outside.
    Lots to do ... weeds, deadheading and picking of thousands of Japanese beetles that seem to have arrived with the hot weather. They were literally swarming yesterday!
    One more day to get through and then the weekend!

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Before the heat hit, I harvested herbs to freeze and dry, watered the tomatoes and peppers, and tried to convince the cats that sitting down in the herb baskets was not one of their best ideas!
    I'll be making some foccacia bread this afternoon. Somehow I ran out of it and it's a favorite bread of several friends.

15. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Would giving the cats their own bed of catnip to recline in keep them out of the herb baskets? Or perhaps a catnip mouse on a hanging string?

Jerry