The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 14°C and overcast. We had some more glorious rain yesterday, and now I can finally say that the gardens have had a good watering!
    Off to work, and a weeding day. We have also put out some Japanese Beetle traps as the beetles were extremely bad. It is extremely satisfying emptying those traps into a bucket of soapy water!
    Have a great day all :)

2. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 16°C and clear.
    My alarm woke me up with a jump again. I went to bed early but still feel very tired. You can tell the weekend is getting near because I am always worn out by then.
    Another day with rain in the forecast, I do hope we get some more rain. The gardens are all looking so refreshed since the rain came!

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Today was my day to go into town. I visited with folks at the local hardware store and picked up an order, then went to the feed store and chatted while they loaded chicken feed into the truck, then went to the hair salon to give the ladies eggs and pesto bread.
    The best part was talking to one of the hairdressers, who was given a hummingbird feeder and has been keeping it filled with nectar and attracting a family of hummingbirds. She is thrilled! She just got a bird bath and put it in a shady part of her yard, and was very happy to have birds coming in to drink within a couple of hours. I have been encouraging her with a recipe for the nectar and giving other birds a reason to come to her yard--she is such an apt pupil! Isn't it wonderful when someone takes the time and interest to help out wildlife?

Netty likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Afternoon all. When someone asks Randy if I feed the birds, he says birds, butterflies and squirrels and actually anything in our yard that is hungry.

101 at this time and since the humidity is pretty low it also feels like 101... a small favor from the weather gods....but I will take it!!
    I am cleaning out stuff and listening to music, at this point it is the 5th Dimension - Greatest Hits on Earth...all the ones I really like. Had Stevie Nicks on earlier, then Carol King but started the afternoon off with Bonnie Raitt. Will probably play Loreena McKennitt and end the afternoons entertainment with some Tom Jones at full volume.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Friday morning all and TGIF!
    Nothing is better than an overnight rain on a Thursday night, other than a Friday rain! My work day just got a lot lighter!
    Thankful its Friday, and that tomorrow I can sleep in!

6. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 14°C and cloudy.
    I'm off to another garden tour today! I've got my lunch packed, camera ready, and am picking up a friend shortly. We will be seeing 9 lovely gardens today :)

7. toni

Morning all. I have a sty, 72 yrs old and I have never had one, first time for everything. My eye doctor said yesterday that he has had 6 so far this year. I remember seeing kids at school when I was young who would show up with a patch over one eye because of a sty.

Still in the 100's around here but there is a minor cool down coming next week...only in the mid 90s for a few days. Just with that cool down would include rain. But the forecast mentions a very wet fall for us...just have to wait another 3 months and see if it actually happens.

8. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 12°C and sunny. High is only expected to reach 21°C today so it will be a very comfortable day to cut grass and work outside.
    Garden Tour was wonderful yesterday, despite the rain that seemed to start every time we reached another stop. We did also stop at a greenhouse and picked up a few plants and I managed to get mine in the ground as soon as I got home. I always come home with so many fresh ideas after a garden tour!
    Today, I have some house work to do before heading outside.

9. toni

Morning all. Starting out a little less like a furnace outside, the furnace will be in full glow by later this afternoon when 100+ arrives. But the forecast looks like under 100 for at least the next 10 days afterward. 98 is almost 100 so the heat will still be here. Chance of rain tomorrow, in the area anyway, it's one of those I will believe it when I see it type of rain events.

10. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently 16°C and clear.
    I woke at 2:45am this morning, and had just fallen back to sleep when my alarm went off at 4am. I feel worse now, and should have just stayed awake!
    Off to work, not sure what I'll find today. One never knows what kind of chaos happens during the weekend when I'm not there. Especially when there are weekend weddings and people wandering around with drinks in hand lol

11. toni

Netty, drinks in hand may not be nearly as bad as drinks in belly. Hope there was nothing major wrong when you arrived this morning.

Overcast and a chance of rain in the area. Fed the birds and squirrels just a bit ago and there were fine spits of wet stuff hitting my arm every once in a while....either that is the rain we are going to get or a flock of birds really high up passed over and you know what on me.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Went out early to water the squash plants and pick a nice zucchini, also got two tomatoes before the mockingbirds "sampled" them.
    When I got back in, my husband asked if I wanted to pick some almonds. The outer coverings are beginning to split, which means we need to pick and put the almonds to dry. We use the tomato dryer in the off season to dry almonds, works a treat!
    Spent the rest of the morning making pasta salad, tuna salad, and chopped tomato/onion/pepper salad for a friend to deliver to her Meals on Wheels clients. We've checked with the dietician and her clients can have at least one of the salads. We pack a large cooler with serving size portions, and she picks up the empty containers the next trip. With the heat we've been having a cold lunch is appreciated!

13. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 12°C and clear. It is still dark now, when I walk the dog in the mornings, and so we don't go too far.
    Another busy day, and then a meeting with the skating club board tonight. I sure hope the meeting doesn't run too late ... 4am alarm comes quick!

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Darn, the predicted rain missed us, so I'm still hauling water buckets. The "cold front" didn't arrive either, so our local meteorologists are batting 1000, if you count mistakes!
    Today is bread baking day. More parmesan herb bread and some poppy seed rolls. I love baking day!

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Baking day for me again too. I have potato bread rising and choc chip cookies mixed and ready to bake.. but first off to the pharmacy for the mysteriously missing heart medicine... well, golly gee... it wouldn't be missing if it was being taken properly. One day you all may see me disappear from my head exploding from the stress of this... no not really, but it is getting worse. dementia, mac degeneration and memory issues from age... and they are doing well. just ask them. can't empty the dehumidifier... no---- its hooked up with a hose to drain to the sump crock... no need to empty that. don't know where the new canulas are for the oxygen condenser... no... right in the bag hanging on its handle... can't find the "wrench" for the oxygen tanks. great! now I need to use pliers to turn on and off the tank when we leave home. "do we have soup?" no, I don't see any.. per my fil.. so we go get some only to find 12 cans of it in the cupboard. on and on and on. other than that life is great!