The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday morning all. Currently 7°C and clear.
    Off to work to start what could be the final week of gardening for the year. Planting bulbs and cleaning out gardens is on the list today.
    Have a great day all :)

2. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 5°C and overcast.
    Weatherman says that rain will move in later and it will rain for 40 hours.
    I'm off to work to try and beat the rain and get the Roses mounded up.

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cold! Well, it's cold for us--45 when I got up, and is to only climb to mid-50's later. I'm off to the grocery store, then home to make chicken stock and a vat of chili (no need to make a small pot of chili!). I'm bring pots of plants to the barn with every trip out to check on the hens and planning on watching the last game of the World Series while sipping a glass of port. Winter isn't all bad!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our temps tomorrow and Friday mornings are to be in the low 30's. Have a few not yet in the ground plants to bring into the back room but then I will sit back wearing my favorite black long dress with the snowflakes on it, enjoying every second of it.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 5°C and overcast. We are having a break in our 40 hours of rain, but by the looks of the radar it won't be long and it will start raining again.
    I worked through some rain yesterday, getting the Rose garden all mounded up for the winter, and some greens cut for the planters that will get switched over tomorrow.
    Today, I am home getting some housework done.

6. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 7°C and overcast. This is our expected high temperature today, it's just going down hill from here. And the weather is looking cold for at least the next 14 days, so I think anything I want to do in the gardens needs to be done today!
    Lots of plants to cut down, and some ornaments to put away, Roses to mound up and hoses to put away. Then I should be in good shape for the spring.
    Oh and of course, some time at the rink later.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 1°C and overcast. Mother Nature left us a layer of pure white snow this morning, just enough to cover everything.
    I guess I should dig out my snow tires and have them put on this week.
    Off to do my errands and shopping.

8. toni

When I woke up about 6:30 this morning I looked at the temperature being displayed on our ceiling ...it was 70 deg. Rolled over and left a wake up call with Mother Nature for when the temp had dropped to at least 50. She missed by a few degrees, when I woke up again it as 54 at 9:00. I'll take it and since it is continuing to drop I think I will be very happy with today's weather. And it's raining too, did not want to push my luck with the old Gal so I had not put that in my morning requirements.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's raining today--and predicted to be off-and-on all day so I baked gingersnaps after seeing to the hens. I'm getting a good start on my Christmas baking. Glad I picked lettuce yesterday because I'd get pretty wet doing it today!
    Netty, snow tires! I remember those . . . .

Cayuga Morning and Netty like this.
  10. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently -12°C windchill and it's COLD! I am not ready for this yet!!
    Guess I'll stay inside today, and get my 2 Cinderella pumpkins cooked and packaged for the freezer.
    My snow tires have to wait until next Thursday ... the shop is busy getting peoples snow tires on since we already had a snow.
    I'm in no rush ... I don't plan on going outside unless I have to! :chuckle:

11. toni

Good morning all. Rain appears to be done with us, darn it. But it left some cold and breezy weather behind.

Even I remember snow tires, I lived in the Rockies, Evergreen, Colo., for 3 years in my 2nd life,. First year there we got 4 inches of snow around the 1st of September.
    Even used to get good amounts of snow down here many years ago, even had to use them a couple of times...but those days of snow in Texas ended several years ago.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We are having a bright, sunny day with current noontime temperatures in the low 50's. My dear husband took down the fans in the chicken coops and put up the heat lamps. According to our local weather gurus, Monday night is to be in the 20's, and we don't want the ladies to be chilly.
    I baked Cuban bread this morning for bread bowls to contain our beef stew Gaston for dinner, then stripped some dried herbs to jar up, and now I'm out to cut more herbs.

13. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 3°C and sunny. Looks like it's going to be a nice-ish day, so I'm going to try to get some work done outside. I still have 2 gardens to finish cleaning up and a bunch of firewood to cut. There is also a big pile of branches that need burning.
    I also want to make some home made lasagna, and some chicken salad for sandwiches for the boys lunches this week.
    Sounds like it's going to be a busy day!

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We too are having a "nice-ish" day with sunshine and temps in the high 50's. I got motivated and cleaned the chickens' coops, which they observed from their outside coop, and then picked lettuce. The fun never ends around here!
    This afternoon we may spend a happy hour at the garden table, shelling almonds. This should be the last of the almonds (my husband assures me this is the very last of the almonds!).

15. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Tomorrow brings rain followed by 23f and highs of 40f with wind so I am using this sunny day to police up the leaves and gather in various hoses and hard freeze sensitive items