The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's overcast with temps in the 60's, so I decided it was the ideal day to wash windows. Wrong! I got the patio doors cleaned and it started to drizzle. I decided to take my bucket and equipment inside for the wet to stop. It didn't. The rest of the windows and doors will have to wait.
    I hope all the rest of you are having a more productive and drier day!

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, we are having rain today and it's chilly. My clean patio doors are now speckled with raindrops, and everything outside is wet (except the cats). The bright spot is that with the rain, we gave the kitties breakfast inside (all three, since Timi is not fond of coming in) and put their flea/tick repellent on them. Getting hold of two gingers who do NOT want the flea liquid between their shoulder blades, and one calico who just doesn't care as along as she gets attention, is quite an early morning exercise!
    I have ham stock on the stove, planning Louisiana red beans and rice with andouille sausage for dinner tonight. The beans get cooked in the stock, more stock is added if needed, and then the rice is cooked with the beans. This is comfort food.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Played golf this morning, it started to rain half-way round. It isn't too big a problem as you have rain gear and your golf brolly fits into a bracket on your leccy trolley, so you don't have to hold it. In fact as you walk down the fairways, you can keep your hands warm in your pockets after setting the speed of your trolley and just giving the handle a nudge every now and again to keep it going in the right direction.

But it's a pain taking all your wet gear off afterwards and getting everything into the boot of your car.

I'm trying to resist planting out our new clematis, which are quite happy for now in the shed next to the window. We still might get some frost in the next few weeks.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Goood Thursday morning all. Currently -15°C and sunny. It's actually quite nice out despite what the thermometer says. Sun is shining and it's going to be a beautiful day!
    It's Thursday, so I'm off to do some errands and shopping.
    Have a great day all :)

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We still have rain, and it's cold out there! I compensated by having a hot cup of coffee after seeing to the hens, then baking ginger snap cookies. Nothing warms the soul like the smell of ginger cookies baking. My husband has a warm soul and tummy now.
    If this weather keeps up we'll never get our spring planting done. The soil is soggy, the wind is high, and the cats refuse to come out of their shelter and supervise. On the bright side our house is clean, I've done the laundry, and we are warm and dry and cozy.

6. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently -11°C and sunny.
    Another beautiful sunny day that makes the cold temperatures bearable. Had a nice long dog walk and how I'm enjoying a hot cup of tea.
    Daughter is home today due to rotating teachers strikes. Actually, that is not entirely true ... every single teacher in Ontario is striking today. The unions have been trying to reach an agreement for a long time and today 200,000 teachers are protesting at Queens Park. My daughter is just happy to have a day off school haha
    I'm going to sort seeds today and plan my veggie garden!

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all. Just a tad below freezing early this morning...31 deg. but already into the upper 30's and dry and sunny.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Happy Mardi Gras everybody! Mardi Gras means "fat Tuesday", which pretty well describes every Tuesday around here.
    It's chilly but not raining, so I'll grit my teeth and do some much needed yard work.

9. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 1°C and overcast. Weatherman says we are going to get a "significant snow event" tomorrow afternoon, so I'll be bringing in a ton of firewood. I'll also have to look for the other snow shovel as my good one broke last snowfall. I am done with winter, I just wanna play in the dirt!!

10. toni

I am a happy gardener stuck inside today because of the weather. We bought me a record player last night and I am happily sitting here listening to the Ed Ames albums that I have not been able to play in what seems like ages.

11. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

A record player?

Good for you! "Nostalgia" is coming back.

So records are coming back too, well in a small way.
    For me and many of my age they never went away.

I've had this turntable since 1972. Still in perfect working order, (I changed the belt) as is the similar age cassette recorder tuner amp and big Goodmans wall speakers.

[​IMG]

I've two 45rpm record playing jukeboxes in our tea-house at the bottom of the garden. This one will be fifty-one years old this year, I've had it for about ten.

They get used more in the summer.
    It has two 12" speakers and two 8" ones. So you get good frequency separation even at low volume. I turned the volume down on this in case it was too much for the camera.
    You'll hear the bass more on this even through my little Lumix camera.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  12. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently -3°C and starting to snow. This is the beginning of our 'significant snow event I guess.
    Hoping to get an oil change this morning before the roads get bad, and hopefully they don't cancel skating classes tonight or it might get ugly around here haha

13. toni

Cold and windy...would not feel as cold without the wind but since our high temp today is to be 48 about 5 pm I don't think the wind can take all the credit for the low temps. But the coming weekend looks hopeful for getting some clean up done in both the front and back gardens.

I have quite a few LPs that my Dad bought in the early 60's/late 50's and almost all of the ones I bought in the 50's - 70's.
    Most Half Price Books stores have had a pretty large section of LPs and a few 45' for several years.
    My parents gave me my first record player in 1956 with a 45 of Elvis' Love me Tender and I have had record players ever since....until my the last one died a few years ago and replacing it just wasn't high on our need to do list at the time.

14. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently -5°C and snow and strong winds. There are no school busses running today, and the road hasn't been plowed yet. Looks like my regular Thursday outing is going to be postponed.

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, you are having a good effect on me. Your cheerful way of coping with weather is a model more of us should follow. As I was driving home from grocery/hardware store shopping it was 33 degrees out and I didn't complain! The roads were clear (as if I expected snow!) and the sun is shining. Wish I could share our weather with you.
    It's cold, so I'll resort to my usual cold weather activity--baking!

Netty and Sjoerd like this.