The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 1°C and rainy. I had hoped to get some yard work done today, but that's going to have to wait. I did get some tomato seeds planted yesterday.
    My daughter has challenged me to a '3 week workout' challenge, today being day 2. Thought I would wake up sore from yesterdays workout, but the only thing that hurts is my ankle.
    It made for a very slow dog walk this morning. Cant wait to see what workout shes picked out for today :rolleyes:
    Have a great day :)

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 1°C and sunny. Slow dog walk today due to my sore ankle, but I did get the entire 2km today. Thought I would have sore abs today, but surprisingly I don't. It's my turn to pick the workout today, not sure what it will be. If I was smart, it would be the 60 minute gardening clean out challenge :chuckle:
    Its going to be a beautiful day, so gardening might be an option.
    Have a great day all :)

Logan, Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 3°C and overcast. My ankle feels a little better today.
    Well it's Thursday, so that means I'm headed out for groceries. This is my first time leaving the house in a week. I have a roll of Lysol wipes with me, and I'm not afraid to use them.
    Curious to see how much is left in the grocery store. My list is short and mosty fruits and veggies so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Logan likes this.
  4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I dunno about a "Good All Day."

But today I had to say goodbye to an old friend...well...I'd had it for two years, it replaced one I'd had for fifteen years.

My Powakaddy leccy trolley.

P1010019.JPG

Playing golf on Wednesday, I'd left it by the side of a green whilst I putted out (in the final of our winter competition!). Unfortunately, I'd not noticed it was on a slight slope and it slowly rolled unnoticed into one of the lateral streams. There's lots of streams on the sides of fairways on our course and such an occurance isn't unusual. I know several members with similar experiences. As they are quite heavy, the usual trick is to let it go down one of the slopes on the fairways, as hanging on to it to slow it down can make you slip on wet ground. But it's easy for one to hit a patch of uneven ground and it veer off to the side and find a stream.

At the moment the streams are quite deep. It was almost completely submerged.
    That obviously was the end of my round.
    We're all matter of fact about such things, I said to my two partners to carry on without me. One of them said "Err, can I have my card?" The procedure is that we each mark another partner's card. "Sure," I said" but you'll have to get it, it's in my bag!" The surface of the stream was about four feet below the level of the fairway.
    This had me and the other partner in fits of laughter. It wasn't really a problem, he'd be able to fill in another card as we put both scores down on the cards. So off they went to the next tee.
    A call to the pro shop triggered the assistance of a couple of the greenkeepers and they came down quite quickly in a couple of buggies and dragged it out and gave me and the trolley a lift back to the car park.

I took it home and cleaned it up. Everything in my golf bag was wet with muddy stream water so it needed a hose down then a wash with soapy water, then hung upside down in the garage to dry out and all the clothes had to go in the washing machine.
    I feared the worst for the trolley, they have lithium batteries now, weighing no more than a bag of sugar and are very expensive.

Yesterday I took the trolley down to the village "trolley shop." We fortunately have one, but not even every town does.
    Today I got the verdict. Fifteen minutes submerged had done it no good. The battery was U/S as expected, so was the motor and so was the digital display. To repair it would have cost nearly as much as new trolley. So that's what I'll be getting on Monday, it's been ordered. A later model, plus a new brolly holder which got broke when the old one went in.

The bag was no worse for the dunking, nor were my clubs, any of the graphite shafts of the irons or woods could have been snapped by the fall.
    So I'll be all ready to go on Wednesday next week.
    I checked with my house and contents insurance provider. Apparently, it's not insured, as "possessions insured away from the house," as having a motor, they class it as a "motor vehicle."
    I'd have still had to pay the £250 excess even if it were, but that would have been nearly half the price of the new trolley.
    I'm not really that bothered. It was more an inconvenience than anything else.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Jewell and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

So sorry about your Powakaddy Doghouse Riley.
    Good Saturday morning all. Currently -10°C and sunny. Sure is cold, but not quite cold enough to freeze the giant puddle on the lawn for dear daughter to skate on. This will be day 7 for her without skating, not normal and not good. I'm trying to keep her active by working out with her, but it's killing me haha
    Not sure what today holds yet, maybe my coffee will inspire me.

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Saturday morning and it's overcast and misty out. I still have to dispose of the fruit tree trimmings--sure hope all this moisture doesn't make them root!
    Three days of wet weather, and I've done about all I can in the kitchen. Then late yesterday a friend called and said they had a steer butchered, and did I want bones to roast and make broth. Do I? Does a bear live in the woods? She will drop them off this morning, and I can roast and simmer to my heart's content.

Netty likes this.
  7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    After 2 days of glorious weather, it is an overcast day. Not feeling motivated so will play on the web a bit longer and sip my tea.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have had clouds, clear sky and plenty of sunshine then more clouds and now it is back to sunshine....still too chilly to be outside very long. But the forecast for the next week is sunny and 60-80 degrees. I think we will see if Lowe's will be open tomorrow and I can go plant shopping.
    We have a grocery order to pickup at 4...Kroger has been taking orders on line and today is our day to pick it up.

9. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -7°C and sunny.
    I actually had to check to see what day it was today ... , day 7 of isolation and they are all starting to blend together!
    My morning dog walk has become the highlight of my day. The rest of the day is spent inside trying to find things to keep me busy. I can't wait for the weather to improve so I can at least get out into my gardens!

carolyn likes this.
  10. Jewell

Currently warm and high overcast. Taking a break from working in the yard. Lots of weeds to be tamed. Feels great to be outdoors.

Netty and Logan like this.
  11. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently -2°c and snowing. It is very wet snow and starting to 'stick'.
    I just had my 2 km dog walk, and for the first time in a week there was traffic on my road. It made me kind of mad that people aren't staying home! Don't they know that the longer people don't stay home, the longer we will have to do this? Today's plans are to do some baking, my daughter wants to make maybe some cinnamon rolls or cookies. Just what I need to eat when I have been working out and watching what I eat :rolleyes:
    Have a great day all, and stay at home :)

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good morning from foggy, foggy Texas! It's warm, but so wet out and foggy that the cats are in their shelter and the hens didn't care to go into the outside coop. I'll stay in and get some small chores done and if it clears and dries a bit, I'll go mess about in the garden. Weeds wait for no man (or woman.)

13. Jewell

What the heck! My rain turned into sunshine. So I did my minuscule amount of momentary weeding, divided a few snowdrops, moved a few crocus and will st down with my elderberry tea and roasted pecans. It’s a good day so maybe I will get my rain yet. :fingerscrossed:

14. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 1°C and overcast. Managed to get the garbage out just on time this morning ... would be bad to hang on to it for another 2 weeks.
    Had my dog walk and now I'm home planning my day. I'm going to try online grocery shopping ... order what I need and then pick it up at the store. Minimal contact.
    My seed order arrived yesterday, and so today I'll be planting my tomatoes. I got a free gift of 'Henderson's Winsall' tomatoes that I will try as well. I'm always looking for another tomato favourite!

marlingardener likes this.
  15. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently -1°C and sunny. I took a couple of bags on my dog walk this morning so that I could pick up the garbage in the ditch. I easily filled both bags, and made $1.20 in returns haha
    I hope to spend some time outside today, hopefully getting manure for my raised beds from the barnyard next door.