The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Happy Wednesday to y'all! I went to our local grocery and found everything on my list (flour!!!), plus a 71/4 lb. pork tenderloin on sale. We now have loin chops and four tenderloins in the freezer.
    Came home and found my dear husband mowing the barn lot. He just can't NOT be busy! Lovely weather today with sunshine, gentle breeze, and temperature in the high 60's soon to be 70's. Weeding this afternoon, and this evening putting squash and green bean seeds to soak for planting tomorrow.

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

As the virus thread is closed... Here's an update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one as I thought it really funny.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2020
    Jewell likes this.
  3. Doghouse Riley

It ain't gonna get better any time soon.

I went shopping this morning at 8.15am (I get up earlier for golf!). I usually park in Sainsbury’s and go there and M&S first. The "lemmings" were queuing round the car park to get in Sainsburys as the were only letting people in one at a time, so I went to Tesco’s 100 yards away and got most of what my wife likes me to buy in Sainsbury's. Tesco’s had girls on the door wiping down your trolley handle and giving you a squirt of thick hand sanitiser and a bit of paper towel.

Then I went to M&S and got the few things I wanted except fresh spaghetti, as usual they didn’t have any sort of spaghetti. Then a few other places like Quality Save, Wilko and Aldi. They had a sign on the door saying “maximum people in the store at any one time 80.” Didn’t have to wait more than a minute to get in. You could only buy one milk anywhere, but picked up enough in various shops. When I went back past Tesco there was a short queue of people waiting to get in.

All this took me two hours and when I went back to the car in Sainsbury’s car park they were still queuing round it.

Despite all the platitudes by numpty chief executives in “corporate spin e-mails” I know from experience as a retired superstore general manager, it ain’t going to get any better soon.

The big store chains are geared to daily deliveries, in that even with lines with volume sales, there’s only a need for enough room on the shelves for a day and a half’s normal sales. This means they can have a much wider range than they could in the seventies when they had weekly deliveries, much of it direct from the manufacturers or suppliers.There’s no big back warehouses to store much volume, as they only need enough space for the number of roll cages they get delivered each day. When was the last time you saw a pallet of anything in a store, except for sugar? The exception. locally is Aldi.

The regional delivery centres that send the stock to the stores, likewise, don’t have masses of space to store much of all the volume lines, if they can get them from the suppliers.
    Likewise the manufacturers won’t have a lot of back up stock of ingredients, labels and packaging. Then there’s the logistical nightmare with all the extra vehicles required and more shelf-filling staff required.

It’s all about money, chains run normally on as little stock with which they can manage.

Even in normal times, how often have you gone into a major multiple in the middle of an afternoon and wanted to purchase a line which has been reduced in price for the regular four-weekly promotions and found the shelf empty?

M&S are open until 9.00pm "and are usually sold out of what you want by 4.00pm."

For as long as people are buying just two of any of the most in demand lines, where they once only bought one, the problem will continue.

The stores are to blame as they didn’t stop the panic buying early enough, as they would have been more interested in increasing their sales.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 5°C and overcast. I picked up another bag full of garbage on my walk this morning.
    I was thinking how grateful I am that I live rurally and don't feel the stress of staying away from people.
    I hope to get the last back garden raked out today. It's the biggest of the backyard gardens and should take a good while.
    Still hoping to get next door for a few loads of manure when it dries up a bit.
    Have a great day all :)

Advertisement
  5. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

Good morning all. High temp is going to be around 89 degrees here today. A good day to work on getting the green house finished. Although, they are never completely finished , Are they?

6. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently -1°C and overcast. Keeping my fingers crossed the weather is nice today so I can work outside.
    I've got to admit, I am getting rather cranky being stuck inside all day and not being able to go anywhere else. I am really missing my time at the rink!
    If the weather co-operates I have gardens to rake out, manure to fetch, garden shed to clean out, pruning to do and lots more.
    But first, morning chores and my workout!

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good morning! I'm not nearly as ambitious as Netty--her list of garden work sounds more like a week of puttering about for me, but she is a real go-getter.
    Today is spreading composted steer manure then planting squash and cucumbers. If I have a burst of energy, I'll move the potted herbs from the barn to the herb garden area.

8. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 2°C and overcast. I took an extra long dog walk this morning and now I'm enjoying a cup of tea.
    I got lots done out in the yard yesterday, but I still have to go and get manure. Hopefully the weather will allow me to do that today.
    I would feel better if I could have the veggie garden ready to plant.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 3°C and raining. It was not a fun dog walk today.
    I finally got over to the manure pile yesterday. It was really, really wet, and I had to park my trailer quite a ways away and carry buckets to it.
    I did 2 full loads like this and then sifted it all and top dressed the veggie garden. I can honestly say that doing this hurt me way more than the 45 minute workouts my daughter has been making me do with her, and the 10 minute ab challenge as well. When I woke up today, I couldn't believe how many parts of my body HURT! :smt005
    I'm kind of glad its raining ... that limits how much hard work I can do today haha

10. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently 4°C and raining again. It's just a light rain today, and the birds are all out this morning.
    So all these workouts are doing good things to me! While the scale hasn't budged much yet, I did notice a jacket that I haven't worn in a few weeks is fitting better now!
    That made me very happy ... something good coming from all this :)

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh sure Netty, most of those sheltering in place are gaining weight (bored=eating!) and you are getting fighting fit and probably shedding a few pounds! You just can't keep a good woman down:setc_072:.
    The Ft. Worth classical radio station plays a march every morning and in the month of March listeners vote on their favorites and they are played in order of votes received. Number two on the hit list was Scotland the Brave and was played this morning. I love that march! I had no idea the listeners had such good taste.

Netty likes this.
  12. Doghouse Riley

I don't watch live commercial TV.
    With sport on any channel, I don't watch that live either.
    I record everything I want to watch, then watch it later, half an hour later being the minimum, so I can avoid irritating adverts on commercial TV and irritating sports pundits on any channel.
    Lately, when fast-forwarding through adverts, as well as the usual proliferation of familiar on-line gambling adverts, I've noticed glimpses of a few new ones.
    Is it because these on-line betting companies see the "self-isolation" of millions of people as an opportunity to cause even more financial misery for the most susceptible?

The government should get a grip of it.

13. Doghouse Riley

Did a bit of shopping this morning. the panic seems to be over though there are still shortages in the stores. No queues, as there were few shoppers. Got most of what I wanted.

14. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 3°C and drizzling. I sure hope we see some sunshine soon!
    I was disgusted to find a pair of used latex gloves on the road down the way from my (rural) home.
    While I usually pick up garbage on my dog walks, I was not prepared for that today, and so there they continue to lay.
    That put me in a bad mood to start my day, and I think it will take a while before my mood lightens.

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's overcast, chilly, and very windy, so I'm hunkering down in the kitchen and doing some recreational baking. We gave all the cats a good petting this morning, the hens got scratch for treat, and my dear husband is going to the workshop to finish repairing a park bench we have along the path. Not a particularly busy day, but a good one!