The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Today turned out windier and cooler than I expected so to prevent a migraine headache I stayed inside out of the cold wind. Nice warmish forecast for tomorrow, just hope weather prognosticator knows what they are talking about.

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 4°C and sunny. Finally a nice day to go outside!
    I don't know about everyone else, but I am getting very crabby with all this self isolation. My hubby managed to hit my every last nerve yesterday.
    Hopefully some time out in the garden will improve my mood today.
    Have a great day all :)

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I know how you feel, I'm flitting between doing a bit in the garden, messing with my jukebox wall boxes, my leccy piano, my tenor sax and doing a bit more spring cleaning. But I'm beginning to annoy my wife as there are usually three days a week when I'm out of the house for the morning and part of the afternoon, playing golf.
    Having watched what few TV programmes I record and save, (some go straight from record to delete) I might get my boxed set of "Justified" out and start watching it from the beginning (again) I find it quite addictive) It includes 18 DVDs. IOr maybe all the recordings I have of every Jesse Stone epiosode, whicvh should keep me in one place for some of the time.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, I can't imagine you being cranky! Getting outside will help, and of course Sargeant is available to console you. With three cats, we are so consoled we are practically comatose.
    Went grocery shopping this morning. Stocked shelves, except for toilet paper. I saw the manager and told him that April Fools' Day had been cancelled. All the available fools were at the grocery, getting toilet paper to hoard. He liked that . . . .
    I'll go out and pick sugar peas and cut some asparagus. We will have fresh leaf lettuce in a few days, but the fall planting is still producing. Poor husband is stuffed full of "greenies"--first broccoli and now peas and lettuces.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 5°C and sunny. I love this nice weather, and extended my dog walk this morning to enjoy it.
    I made myself a little cold frame yesterday, and today I'm going to plant some radish and spinach in it. We shall see how it works out, it's really just an experiment.
    I keep hearing how delicious roasted and sauteed radishes are and now I'm curious.
    I called a few places for triple mix but no one is delivering for another 2 weeks. I don't get it? I did get one of the patio sets out yesterday.
    May clean out the garden shed today and put out my garden ornaments.
    I'm sure we will get another blast of snow at some point this month, but I don't care.

6. Doghouse Riley

Did the grocery shopping this morning. Things are calming down now, got most of what I wanted, even some almond croissants, which my wife had added to the list.

So I was able to attend to the problem she sprung on me at midnight last night.

"That wall light won't turn off."

She was right, so I removed the bulb and we went to bed.

We've two on this wall either side of the chimney breast, they work on pull switches.

[​IMG]

They match the other four I put in the front room, operated by a couple of switches on the wall.

[​IMG]

Well no they don't, they look the same, we bought them in Homebase a decade ago, but a few years between, they were at the time a "running line." But the new ones were made of a much thinner pot material (there's progress for you} and I had to convert them to a pull switch switch operation as in the lounge, that was the type they were replacing. This required me buying pull switches and drilling a holes in the back of the porcelain to attach them and one at the bottom for the cord to pass through a very delicate process.
    As they are fed from the ground floor ring main via in-line fuses, I had to turn off that circuit while I worked on it.

It was a struggle to get it off the wall without breaking it, dismantle it, repair the switch and replace it. Then put it back again.
    Having got it working perfectly, I turned the mains on again.

Surveying my handiwork and feeling quite pleased with myself, I heard my wife in the background say,

"I hope my telly comes back on again."

Can't win can you?

But I had to smile.

7. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently 1°C and sunny. A little colder today ... the breeze made me wish I had brought some gloves on my dog walk.
    I had to ask my husband what day it was today. All the days are the same so they just seem to be blending together. Apparently it is Friday.
    I hope to get the last 2 gardens cleaned out today. I can't seem to find anyone to deliver me soil so I might just attack my compost pile and see if I can get anything out of it.
    Once I clean out my shed and find my edger I hope to edge up the back beds.
    When it rains this weekend, I hope to get my windows done :)

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, "all the days are the same"--now you know how it feels to be retired (good, good!). We have drizzle this morning, so I am house cleaning. If the rain keeps coming, we may end up with a semi-livable house!
    I do think the virus restrictions have gone a bit far. Mexico is no longer brewing Corona beer, deeming it non-essential. What? And Heineken is suspending operations in Mexico for the same reason. This, folks, is getting way too serious!
    I may end up being a hoarder with cases and cases of Corona in the pantry.
    May you all have a good day, and stay safe and healthy. You are all too important to the Stew!

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

We are under stay at home restriction ! No big deal to me,, thats all I do anyway ! Have no idea why they say everyone is getting mentally stressed ! Just go anywhere and you see people sitting and playing with their phones or laptops,, they can do the same at home in their pajamas ! Where is the stress ?
    Can`t drink beer much because of the added calories,,(type 1 diabetic) so I bought a large bottle of bourbon and plenty of sugar free mixer ! This virus thing may not be too bad after all !
    Good thing is,, I think people may have to re-learn how to actually cook ! You would be surprised at what the stores are sold out of here that have always been plentiful ! Keep those chickens happy MG !

marlingardener likes this.
  10. Doghouse Riley

On the subject of "what day is it?"

My wife says she's sometimes confused, as my regular golf days are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, now with me being home all the time then it's difficult for her to work out which day it is as each seems the same.

On the same subject, (I may have mentiomed before), in the film "Jewel of the Nile," at the beginning Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner are lazing on his yacht in a marina, when she says to him.

"Don't forget we have that reception to go to tonight."

"That's not 'til next Thursday."

"This is next Thursday!"

Going through the telly mag, this morning looking for something worth recording, I'm constantly finding things which might interest me, but often, when I see the name of the presenter, I'm completely put off. ( 'cept by Attenborough,) It's the same old faces, their "qualification" for doing the job is just being who they are and they constantly play to the camera. So I give them a miss. Sadly, it's all about ratings, not quality.
    Mind you, National Geographic isn't too bad.
    Weather has been mostly dry for days.

May give the pots a water later on, but that's all that's needed.

11. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 3°C and foggy. It rained most of the night, and I was also kept up most of the night by a squawking Killdeer outside my window. Not sure what it's problem was, but I'm quite convinced it was a raccoon. They are everywhere this spring!!
    I'm still so sad for my daughter not being able to skate. A years worth of hard work down the tubes and she can't even practice anywhere to keep up her conditioning. She's been working out and I bought her a 'spinner' to spin on, but the jumps just cant be replicated on the ground. Looks like this lockdown is going to last at least another few weeks, if not months. Such difficult times. Online schooling starts on Monday, at least that will keep her mind busy. I have the garden to play in as long as the weather cooperates.
    Have a great day all, and stay safe :)

12. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 4°C and overcast.
    My son announced that he is moving in with his girlfriend, so I have been busy in the basement going through the boxes of things that came home from College with him.
    I am happy that this stuff is finally going away, but I am sad that hes moving out. But he is almost 24 so I guess it is time. That leaves one little bird in our nest.
    Time to declutter!

13. Doghouse Riley

It's always a bit of an event when "one leaves the nest." However this can be temporary. Our youngest son left home at 21 .... and then came back,,, twice!
    He left home for the third time fifteen years ago. Fortunately he found the right "girl" a divorcee as was he and they're very happy.

CIMG5912.JPG

Frank and Netty like this.
  14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The stress is from not having a paycheck but you still have to pay bills,buy food for the family, medicine for a sick family member. Our youngest works at Pet Smart and store hours are cut way back which means the employees, who are mainly part time and have 2 or 3 other part time jobs to make ends meet are having a really hard time making those ends even wave at each other much less meet. A 'mindless' computer game is a really great stress re-leaver and gives your mind and body a little rest from the real world.

It took over a week but my yard has finally gotten an inch of rain. Lots of rain in the area just not over my yard. Rain predicted for all of next week but since the area involved is so large and we have been left off the rainmakers schedule so much lately, I should have no problem getting out front to get some new bulbs and plants in the ground.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Frank likes this.
  15. mart

mart Strong Ash

Toni I would love to send you some of this rain we have had ! Thats about all we have had ! I forget what sunshine looks like !

marlingardener likes this.