The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good morning! Like Netty, we had a lot of watering to do today, but we were able to get it done before 9 a.m. The cats helped me in the garden, picking (they find the produce, I pick) cucumbers and squash. I am not kidding--Timi pokes her little pink nose into the vines and points out anything she thinks is pickable. Being in the garden takes longer, but is so much more enjoyable with my "helpers."

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

The thought of a helper reminded me of something that used to happen several years ago. We've always had squirrels in our garden, usally no more than one a year.
    One was particularly friendly. If there were no nuts in the feeder on the patio, she'd come to the French windows and put her front paws up on the glass and look in. When my wife noticed her she'd go to the doors with some nutrs and open a door slowly, so as not to hit, or frighten the squirrel. As she was very slowly opening the door the squirrel would put a paw on the edge of the door to help her open it a bit quicker.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday morning all. Currently 21°C and clear. I've lost track of how many days we are into this heatwave now, but I do know it will be an all day watering day at work today!
    Thankful I get to start early and beat the heat a little bit, but today is also grocery day and I dread the lineup outside the store in the heat. (Covid restrictions only allow a certain number of people in at once) With any luck there won't be many out shopping today, but I will have to go as I am out of everything.
    Have a great day all :)

4. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 22°C and clear. Today is going to be the hottest day yet! We do have a chance of an afternoon thunderstrorm, I do hope we get some rain, without violent storms. My shopping trip worked out well ... no lineup. Nice to have food in the house again today lol
    Off to work, another day of dragging hose.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 18°C and clear. I survived yesterday but following the shade, but boy was it HOT!
    A little cooler today, but more watering ahead. Still waiting for that rain storm!

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sojerd, I love that! I may print it out and frame it for the kitchen!
    I went into town today to do grocery shopping (and get rid of excess cucumbers and squash). Our state is under mandatory mask wearing in public, and the grocery public address system said to maintain social distancing and instead of hand shaking or hugging, just give a big smile. Who can tell when everyone is wearing masks? I promptly pulled out my pen and drew a big smile on my mask. Lots of giggles in the aisles!

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wow-- That would be way cool, Jane.
    I like the mask decoration....was the mask white and that smile red and sort of messy?

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The beginning of a heat wave here..our high temperatures should be hovering around 101f to 105f the next week or so and the overnight temps will be in the 80f range. I'll trade temps with Netty any day.... and yes that does include any time in winter too.
    Right now the temp is 91 deg f (33c)and rising....that is the outside temp. Inside it is a comfy 78 deg f with the central AC unit really working for us.

I don't wear a mask...those things mean I have to re-breathe used warm air and that causes me to have a panic attack. I have a shield instead...with pretty butterfly stickers all over it. When all this started I got funny looks from people ....then more and more people started asking me where they could get one and now I see quite a few people wearing them.

10. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 22°C and clear. Our chance of thunderstorms turned into nothing here, but parts of Toronto had torrential rain and flooding. There just seems to be no happy medium for anything this year! Keeping my fingers crossed for some rain, but not holding my breath until Saturday.
    Our town has a mandatory mask order too, and I always have one in my pocket. I don't like them, and will avoid any place where I need to wear one. The grocery store is just about the only place I go anymore, so I wear one inside the store. Our area has no cases of the virus, so I think it''s a little overkill. We do get a lot of tourists though, and I guess thats the reason for the order. I work outside and no mask needed in the garden.

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Today I picked cucumbers and squash. Tomorrow I'll be baking zucchini bread. I just hope I can find someone 1) who likes zucchini bread and 2) that doesn't have any!
    Timi helped me find cucumbers, and Cali supervised from the small table I have near the seasonal garden. I love gardening with fur babies!

Netty likes this.
  12. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 17°C and overcast. We did get a little bit of rain overnight, but not nearly the amount weatherman promised me. Chance of rain all day today, so hopefully we get enough to water the gardens. I picked a basket full of peas this morning, as well as the first 2 zucchini. Theres lots of basil out there ready to harvest too. I might make stuffed zucchini later. My plan today is to make blueberry jam. Sounds like I'm going to be busy!

13. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 20°C and partly cloudy. It's very humid and so it feels quite hot already at 8am.
    I had a lazy day yesterday, so today there is lots to do! Grass to gut, gardens to weed, laundry etc
    Not sure how much I'll get done, but my energy level is low so I'll just do my best.

14. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently 17°C and clear. Off to work, and today I won't have to spend all day watering thanks to the rain!
    Maybe I'll be able to catch up on some weeding and pruning.

Frank likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's a very good morning today! Our ginger tom Buddy had been missing for two days. He got spooked by a large trailer parked in the barn lot while a tire was changed, and then husband mowed the back yard, which Buddy hates because of the noise. He left on Saturday and was nowhere to be seen Sunday. This morning he casually showed up, thirsty but no worse for his exile. We were so happy to see that darned cat!
    Hot today, so I'm staying inside when possible and cleaning. When the weather is extremely cold or hot, we end up with a clean house!