The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, I'm sorry you experienced the worst power outage in Texas' history, and had to ration your food. Three days at that temperature is not fun! We were without power for three days and ate slightly warm food that I put in cast iron and heated somewhat on the embers of the wood stove.
    Texans need to fix this power grid problem, and "investigations" and "committees" aren't the way to do it.

2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday morning all. Currently -2°C and extreme winds are moving in. Temperature is to drop today as well so it should make for an interesting day. I have a feeling I'd better get some water ready, just in case the power goes out, and bring in more firewood. Perfect kind of day for sorting seeds and setting up my plant shelf!
    Have a great day all :)

3. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

currently 44* and raining

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, stay safe and warm and keep Sargeant by your side. Dogs are fur-covered heaters!
    This morning I passed my manual dexterity test--I folded fitted sheets! Since it is overcast and raining today, I decided to treat myself to a day in the kitchen. I have a pot of beef broth cooking down, and am making beef stew for tonight. I de-boned the half ham yesterday and made ham stock. This morning I skimmed the fat off and froze the stock in two cup containers. Am I beginning to sound like those folks on Facebook that think everyone is interested in what they had for breakfast?

Netty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -16°C and sunny. The winds have finally died back and the sun is going to warm us all the way up to 3°C today!
    We were lucky enough to not lose our power in yesterdays storm, but apparently all the people in town lost their power for about 5 hours. It's not often the rural areas keep power when town is out, but we tend to be more prepared. Yesterday, I cleaned out the pantry, fridge and freezer and chest freezer as well as checked all my home canned goods. I've come to the conclusion that I have inherited my mothers food hoarding gene. I guess there are worse things haha

Odif, Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

There are indeed worse things.
    Nothing wrong with having food on hand for any eventuality.
    You keep on doin you.

marlingardener likes this.
  7. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently -5°C and overcast.
    I don't really have a plan this morning, other than to go for my weekly Covid swab. (Retirement residence requires this if I want to get in to see Dad)
    I guess I'm 'winging it' today!

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently -7°C and sunny. The wind is from the north and that makes it feel mighty cold!
    Today is Thursday and I am off to do my errands and shopping. Paint is on sale this week and I finally picked a paint color for the back hallway so I'll pick that up today.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This is a late Thursday post, but this has been a pretty good day. Hope it has been for all of you!
    We got our Covid vaccination appointments at a local clinic. Their website registration is user-aggressive but my dear husband stuck to it and after several tries, got both of us appointments.
    We prepped the potato planting area in the garden, and tomorrow I'll be moving herb seedlings to larger cells.
    I feel a bread baking day coming on for tomorrow!

Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently -9°C and sunny. The wind makes it feel much colder.
    Today is the day! I'm finally going to get the back hall painted! I also bought paint for all the wainscoting in the house so I'll be working on that as well. With next weeks weather looking much warmer, I think my days of wanting to be inside are numbered.
    I'm also craving chilli, so I'll make a pot of that first.

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently -10°C and overcast. Or maybe the sun isn't up yet? haha not sure, but I'm up bright and early today.
    Heading down to Dads to move some furniture out as we have sold the house. Kind of bittersweet ... this is the house I spent my entire childhood in.
    Youngest daughter is coming to help me pack the car. Also good 'bonding' time for us.

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Congratulations on selling the home, it seemed to go quickly. It must indeed be painful for you...All that history. Well, it couldn’t be any other way though, could it. I have gone through the same with my parents, so I understand your feelings on this.
    Brighter days are to come.

marlingardener likes this.
  13. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

28*F and overcast this afternoon. Might start some more herbs and tomatoes after work.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, cling to the happy memories you have of your childhood home, and be confident the new owners will soon be making their own happy memories. You have been such a good caretaker, good daughter, and good person through all of this.
    Today I did some re-potting of perennial herbs and plotted out my vegetable garden planting plan on my calendar. I just hope the weather cooperates with my plan!

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -8°C and sunny.
    I could see 2 coyotes playing way back along the tree line this morning. I chuckled to myself and decided they must have spring fever too!
    Hoping for a nice day today, with no wind, so I can finally burn my brush pile. It would really be great if I could get that done before the snow melts.
    First, a visit with Dad.

Sjoerd likes this.