The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I was going to make a run to the grocery and feed stores this morning, but we had fog, so I stayed home and am making crescent rolls for Christmas.
    The lady who gets Meals on Wheels is getting her Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve, since the volunteer drivers need to be with their families. I'm supplementing her dinner with rolls and pecan pie. We invited her to our home for dinner, but she said no, she tires easily and would prefer to be home.
    My darling husband is polishing silver (again!) and feeding the birds. We are SO prepared for Christmas!
    I hope you all are as busy and happy getting ready for the holiday as we are.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hoi Jane. What are crescent rolls? Are they like croissants, just breadi-er?
    I find what you do for others such an important and decent thing. The Bride and I have said it before—“Wish you folks were our neighbours”. Chuckle.
    Your posting was going oké today until he red that you were making pecan pie. Oh dear. You should have seen and heard her. She lurves pecan pie. We can sometimes get it here.

Anyway— have a god one, you two.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Today we are processing those peppers. We have done two strings so far. We wore plastic cleaning gloves and good covid masks. It worked good, but then off came the masks and gloves and we did a little clean up and it must be in the air— I can feel a bit in my eyes throat and the point of my tongue. It is a bit irritating, but so far, I can live with it.
    We are taking a break now, and will continue in a moment. First we will pour the blended flakes into a herb jar.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently -4°C and overcast. There is a strong west wind as well, making it feel a lot colder.
    Another busy day ahead, we still have some baking to do and a few cookie plates to make up for gifting tomorrow.
    Tonight we have final night at the rink and we have some fundraising raffles etc to do
    Thursday is errand and shopping day and then Friday is my family Christmas dinner.
    Its almost here!
    Have a great day all :)

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, crescent rolls are shaped like crescents. I roll out a 9" round of yeast dough, cut it into six pieces. The video says eight, but I like to make them larger.
    Roll up the pieces, starting with the wide end and tucking the little "nose" under, then shape into a crescent. upload_2021-12-22_10-8-1.jpeg
    Not like a croissant at all!
    Sorry about mentioning pecan pie but after shelling and picking out 10 pounds of pecans, I better do something with some of them!

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ach Jane, just mentioning p. pies made my Bride’s day.

I see what they are like. You are right, they do not look like croissants, just the shape, but the type of dough is very different. I might like yours too, especially with blueberry jam..

Thanks for the pics and info.
    BTW— I’m with you Re: size.

marlingardener likes this.
  7. Netty

Yum! Crescent roll!
    Good Thursday morning all. Currently -8°C and overcast.
    Off to do my errands and shopping this morning, then home to do the last of the wrapping.
    Dinner plans for Christmas may have changed, so I need to be ready!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently -4°C and overcast.
    Well our Christmas Eve plans have changed last minute. The plan was to go to my sisters for dinner have our traditional Christmas Eve dinner of schnitzle, rotkohl, kale, and fried potatoes, which is what we grew up having on Christmas Eve. Last year we didn't get a Christmas so we were excited to have it this year. Unfortunately, my niece had lunch with someone this week that ended up being Covid positive and so plans have changed. My daughter is 30 weeks pregnant and unvaxed and we just can't take the chance, so Turkey dinner here it is! A whirr of cleaning, wrapping and preparing but I'm excited to have my clan together. We will have our Christmas dinner at another time with my sisters family once things settle down. As it turns out, our medical experts suggest we keep our gatherings to 10 people or less and my group alone is 9.
    Anyway, wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas!

Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

We had a long day. In addition to garden work and winterizing outdoor faucets, I made a week supply of dog meals and five days supply of human (me) lunches. Started a refrigerator bread roll dough for tomorrow. Squash pie will have to wait for morning LOL.

I think we will have potato pancakes tomorrow, as well as the other stuff.

10. Netty

Good Saturday morning all, and Merry Christmas!
    Its raining outside, and 4°C.
    I thought that without small kids in the house that I would be able to sleep in this morning, but Sargent had other plans. He woke me up bright and early for his walk (in the rain).
    He is now staring at his stocking under the tree! I told him he couldn't peek until my daughter came downstairs ... I'm surprised he didn't run upstairs and wake her up!
    Have a fantastic day everyone!

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ach, what’s a girl to do.
    Enjoy your day, Netty.

12. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -2°C and overcast.
    I already had a lovely, yet slippery, walk with the dog. Now he is enjoying a bone and I am enjoying a coffee.
    I was spoiled for Christmas this year, getting a lot of things I wanted for my gardens. Now I just cant wait for spring!
    Today we are having a short visit with our niece and her husband and baby. And it will most likely be the second day of turkey leftovers for us, which I love.

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, so happy to hear you were "spoiled" with gifts for your gardens. Nobody deserves it more than you!
    Today, and I never thought I'd say this, I'm just cooked out. We are having stashed leftovers for lunch and dinner. Tomorrow it is more Christmas dinner--leftovers.
    I hope everyone is recuperating well from the joy of the holiday. We have naps planned for the afternoon.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Do you see where excesses get you Netty? Cackling.
    We can pick up our seeds next month. We ordered them through our gardening club, and that always takes a bit of toime. By the time they get here my nails are all bitten off.

Your turkey leftovers sound wonderful to me. We didn't have a bird, so there are no leftovers. :(

Today we are watching speed skating all-round contests to see who gets to go to the olympics, so I am glued to the telly. Before the olympics will be the european championships in a fortnight’s time.

p.s.— What Jane said.

15. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently -8°C and overcast.
    I'm trying to get back into routine today. I tried to do some laundry and the washing machine went 'poof' and made some smoke and stopped working. Looks like I'm going shopping for a new washer today ...sigh. The washer has fared us well ... it was here when we moved in almost 19 years ago and was already sort of old. We had discussed getting a new stove, so maybe we can get a multi appliance discount?
    DH isn't a huge fan of turkey, nevermind leftover turkey dinners, so I made him a steak yesterday while I ate the turkey, which I love! I'll eat it again tonight too!