The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Happy Thursday morning. Yesterday was a 5 am rise to drive to town. The truck required some warranty work on the transmission and the shop needed it for three and a half hours. It was -6, so the artichokes had to stay in their house until we returned at 1 pm. They seemed to fair okay.

Today and tomorrow they will have to go into their cool cave :cool:. Then I will perhaps need to pack them up to the guest cabin to get through the artic front that we will have for a week. The spinach is up in the greenhouse, so hopefully with multiple layers of row cover fabric it will make it. Spinach is pretty hardy so fingers crossed.

A grocery shop allowed for some veggies and luxeries. Today I'm making Chile Rellanos and jalepeno poppers - two of hubbies faves. Chilies are cooling after being blackened, and jalepenos are drying - now off to get mucky with cheese and breadings. :D

IMG_1665.JPG

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Thursday afternoon all. Currently 9°C and switching between sun and rain. Right now I have sunshine.
    Been to town to do my groceries and errands. Went and bought new work pants, and some hardware for the garden gate. The weather was lovely all morning.
    When I got home I was digging out some stray asparagus roots for a friend and got caught in a rain storm. As soon as I came inside and got dried off the sun came out!
    I think I'll work on stuff inside until we leave for the rink.
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's Friday, and we still have blustery winds. Since everything got watered yesterday, I decided today was a day for the kitchen. I made bread sticks, and a mustard-based salad dressing. We have fresh leaf lettuce and spinach from the garden, and the heavier salad dressings (ranch, bleu cheese, etc.) are just too much for the delicate leaves.
    Tonight is dinner in front of the TV so we can watch PBS Newshour, and then another round of the San Angelo rodeo. What a great start to a weekend!
    Hoping you all have a great start to the weekend, too.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It sounds wonderful to me. We will do the sam tonight, but our menu and telly choices will be different.

Melody Mc. and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Happy Saturday. -4 C this AM, but it looks to be clear and sunny, all be it cool. Today will be cleaning out the cold frame greenhouse. My dad's bench and some tool items spend the winter in there. It heats up quickly so today will be a good day to work in there. I have to remove the dirt and reline the beds with plastic, before adding new soil. This will be the third time in three years I've had to replace the soil due to accidental herbicide contamination. Tough lessons and a steep learining curve. The third time is apparently the charm.

Droopy likes this.
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Palm Sunday, 3°C but rising, rain, a bit of wind, and I'm still sorting old things. This time a century old things. We're having dinner guests later so I need to do house work. I'd rather be gardening! Wish you all a peaceful day.

marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all! Currently -6°C and overcast. We had light snow overnight.
    Its been a busy few days! Friday was skating test day, and DD passed all 5 of her tests. Saturday morning was spent at the rink as well, then home to make a turkey dinner. It was delicious, and today the carcass is in the stew pot. Lots of laundry to do and some cleaning, and then this afternoon its off to the rink again. It used to be that spring time was when skating slowed down a little, but we are currently on day 7 of an 11 day stretch of skating. Thankfully the weather hasn't been great or I'd feel guilty that I haven't been getting the garden cleanup done!
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc., Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It is so windy today, but warm with temperatures in the low 80's. If anyone needs some wind, I'll direct it your way, gladly!
    We examined the flower beds, and found a rose that we thought was dead from the winter catastrophe in 2021 is actually putting up new shoots from the roots. Let's hear it for own-root roses :setc_083:!
    Not nearly as active as Netty (who is?) so after watching Formula One race this morning and seeing Ferrari team win, I'll nap through the Masters golf tournament that my husband likes to watch. Golf, or watching paint dry? Which is more interesting?

Melody Mc., Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chuckle. I’m with you, Jane.

10. Droopy

It's still snowing here, even though the temp has risen to 5°C. The north wind is bitterly cold. It bites through several layers of clothes and the garden is still covered in snow. I was hoping for warmer weather come Wednesday, but it seems we'll have to wait a bit longer. Gives me time to sort more stuff, so I shan't complain. You can all have a nice Monday because I think I've got the Monday blues for everybody here and then some.

11. Droopy

Morning! Currently 5°C, partly cloudy, no wind to speak of, but there's still snow in my garden so not much for me to do out there yet. Might prepare to move some Clematis that I was going to move a month ago but then the weather turned cold. I'm minding a horse today, and am looking forward to being dry while riding. Have a nice Tuesday!

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Snow in yer garden?!! Why don’t you pull out that snow plough and remove it then. C,mon don’t be such a softie. You can always pull the pick ax out of the boat shed and get those furrows going. C’mon pull yer big-girl shoes on. Hup, hup, hup!

Melody Mc. likes this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Went into town today to get staples at the grocery and chicken feed at the hens' grocery, aka feed store. Since Easter is on the horizon, I took each of the guys at the feed store a loaf of home-made bread. Doubt if the bread will last until Easter!
    At home, we watered the vegetable gardens while hoping the predicted rain arrives this evening. If not, it will be another day of hauling water to the gardens.
    My dear husband fixed the handle on my favorite mid-size pot. He can fix most anything, and I rely on his expertise heavily!

Sjoerd, Melody Mc. and Droopy like this.
  14. Droopy

Ha, @Sjoerd, be thankful you live far away or your ear lobes would probably reach your knees!

Morning all, we have 6°C, cloudy, but the sun's working hard to get through. The snow is melting out there, and I need to go haul some bags of soil and continue where I left off before this cold weather spell arrived. I'm working hard to convince my family we need to go on an outing tomorrow or Friday. It's Easter after all, I don't want to work in the garden because our very religious neighbours will mind, and I need a change of scenery. Today is my husband's birthday. He's wearing sunglasses indoors because of some eye infection, and we haven't invited guests because a lot have taken off somewhere to chase the last snow and go skiing. Norwegians like skiing. They like cabins up in the mountains too. There are probably long lines at every ski resort up and down Norway. Glad I'm not one of them. We'll celebrate anyway. Birthday is birthday. Enjoy the Wednesday!

Melody Mc. likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chortle. You know that I always give measured comments to Vikings.

Congratulations on your man’s birthday. How old is he now, 34 or sommink? Wish him all the best from us.

Droopy likes this.