The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Happy Tuesday to you all! Just catching up on inside chores, and am putting off tying up tomatoes until Thursday. Rain, wind, and possibly hail is predicted for tomorrow, so I'd rather not have my tomatoes exposed. Perhaps some foliage cover will protect them.
    The apples and pears may get damage if we get hail. There is really nothing we can do to protect them since the trees are mature and too big to tarp. I've been a good girl--why is Mother Nature doing this to me?:crying:

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Rain here today. We are doing a big house clean.
    Like Jane, I have an apple to peel with her. This very rainy weather; whilst good for the garden, means that we have to do housecleaning.
    When I complained, Mother Nature just quipped, “ We don’t do, having it both ways”.

Melody Mc. and marlingardener like this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Wish I could say this is a happy Wednesday, but in light of yesterday's slaughter at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, I haven't been able to get over the thought of all those grieving parents, grandparents, relatives of the children and the two adults. I do wish that the USA would join the rest of the civilized world and ban assault weapons for the general public, and have rigorous background checks. I have contacted our representatives and senators, but I'm sure that it will fall on deaf ears.
    I'll be more content tomorrow, after I tie up tomatoes and pet cats. Pet cats a lot! Cats are very comforting (or at least distracting.)

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

There are just no words.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@marlingardener, It's absolutely heartbreaking and frightening too. For what it's worth (probably not much), I try to occupy my mind as much as I can with purposeful activity - garden work, projects, cooking adventures. Today I made lentil loaf, something I've been wanting to make for a while. Yesterday I made bread. Usually it's cookies or bread. Or pies. And all of the gardening. I refer to that as "Puttering Meditation".

I used to volunteer for some places where I thought I made a difference, but being immune compromised that isn't an option now, So it's puttering.

Melody Mc., marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, Daniel, thank you both for your replies. Keeping occupied with purposeful activity--good advice and generally I can do it. Today I'll be in the vegetable garden, then cook an Italian dinner. That is comfort food for us.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 14°C and overcast. The sun should come out soon.
    Another busy week! Every week I tell myself that once I get through this busy week, things will get better. But then the next week is just as busy, if not busier!!
    Today, after I finish my report for the skating club annual general meeting on Monday night, I will head outside and attempt to plant the rest of my veggie garden, and the annual flowers in the back garden. Of course there is also grass to cut, laundry to wash, and cleaning to do. Never a dull moment!
    Have a great day all :)

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Just got in from the garden. Weeded out where the spinach was, picked lettuce, and checked tomatoes to see if they needed water. Husband is watching the third round of qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix. Qualifying isn't all that interesting to me, but I do enjoy seeing those huge yachts in the harbor, and there was a five mast square rigged yacht near but not in the harbor. Parking that boat must be very, very tricky!

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 12°C and mostly cloudy.
    I've got a batch of eggs on the stove cooking as I've been asked to make some egg salad. I could use some more egg shells for the garden so I agreed.
    I got most of the canning tomatoes planted yesterday, as well as the zucchini, basil and cucamelons. I'll get the rest of the tomatoes and the potatoes planted today. I got the grass cut, however I realized on my walk this morning that I missed around the end of the driveway. I'll finish that off today. I'd like to finally get the annuals planted in the back flower beds too, but I may hold off a few days.
    Always so busy this time of year, but its a good busy :)

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

June has started off well for us--rain! We didn't expect it, rain wasn't predicted until tomorrow, but we got 1/4" of much appreciated moisture (well, the cats weren't too happy but they get most things their way so they can put up with a bit of rain).
    After making my run to the grocery and getting home to put things away, it started to rain. Sure was glad I wasn't on the road--Texans are not familiar with driving on wet roads, and I think that windshield wipers are an option when you buy a vehicle.

11. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently just 9°C and sunny. There is also a strong north west breeze.
    Another crazy work week is over and I am stiff and sore all over! Yesterday, I went to a clients after work and then I went home and worked in my own veggie garden for a few more hours. I was weeding the raised beds that got away from me this week and I pulled out an entire wheelbarrow full of bindweed! UGH That stuff is the reason I put in raised beds in the first place! I have lots to do today ... grass to cut, annuals to plant, oh and theres housework to do. No wonder I am always stiff, sore and tired!

Melody Mc. likes this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Happy Saturday! We had 1/2" of rain overnight, so I won't be hauling water this morning. I'll check the tomatoes to see if any are pickable, and then perhaps harvest some herbs to freeze. A lady I had given fresh herbs gave me 10 little lidded containers for freezing chopped herbs. How kind of her, especially since she doesn't want them back, filled!

Melody Mc. likes this.
  13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Beautiful and sunny today after two days of rain. Everything grew, especially the weeds. Once things dry out a bit it will be a busy day. Everything needs a mow. Hubby runs the lawn tractor with a big collector, and I push mow. It takes about 5 hours to do it all with both of us mowing.( The horses used to do a much better job). Lots of lawn clippings for the rows in the gardens. The slugs will be happy.

14. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@marlingardener - congratulations on the rain. That must be wonderful for you. :)

marlingardener likes this.
  15. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 12°C and sunny.
    I was a busy gal yesterday, trying to get things done so I could try and relax a little bit today. (I say TRY because anyone that knows me knows that I don't know HOW to relax haha)
    I'm going to go out and do some watering this morning, and then I think I'm going to go see the grandkids - that will force me to relax!

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.