The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Have fun, Netty.
    My Bride is like you and when we do take a little rest one day, she always says that she sorta feels like she wasted the day a bit. Ha ha. —even if it was rainy.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hi all! We've been on trips and outings, had some visitors, and tried to keep the garden tidy-ish in between. The sun is still shining at 22.30. I should go to bed but don't feel like it just yet. We've yet to have any summer temps. It's been a cold spring and it's still chilly out there. There are two hedgehog visitors in our garden, and I'm happy! Our house guest isn't leaving until the end of June so we'll keep going on trips and outings until then, and the garden will probably be neglected. Again. This year too. Poor garden. Hope the rest of you are able to make plans and see them through. I've given up on being organized for the time being and just concentrate on having fun with our guest.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 17°C and raining. It has been raining all night and will rain all day. There is a special weather statement for my area for 'significant rainfall and flood watch'. Needless to say, I have the day off work and I am home enjoying the sound of the rain and having a nice cup of coffee. Didn't go out, or relax on Sunday as I'd hoped (grandkids were out for the day) and I worked yesterday so guess today is the day to relax!
    Have a great day all :)

Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, you are actually going to take it easy, it's a miracle! I guess if you take a day off every couple of years, it's okay:rolleyes:.
    I picked tomatoes, then watered them, the peppers, and the cucumber. Later this morning we are taking Buddy the cat to the vet for his annual shots and check-up. Getting him into the carrier is "interesting" but getting him out is really, really easy.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Thursday evening all. Currently 18°C and sunny. It was a raining morning and afternoon, but its nice out now and all the gardens are well watered.
    Well MG, I didn't end up actually relaxing. I did a bunch of odds and ends that I have been meaning to get to, but I didn't do anything strenuous. That counts, right?
    I'm looking forward to the weekend, but first I have Friday to get through.

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Still cold rainy day. The weeds are so outta control never have a minute to spray …too much rain. Not complaining. Have in the other day during a few hour break from the rain and just weed whacked the weeds before they set flower…

7. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 13°C and mostly cloudy.
    I was trying to sleep in this morning, but the barking dogs across the street work me up at 6am again. UGH!
    Now I'm up, have walked my dog and I'm enjoying a cup of coffee. There is grass to cut today and some weeding to do. I'm going to save the inside jobs for tomorrow when it is supposed to rain. Would like to go to a garden center today, found a new one not far from my house!

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Droopy

Hi all! Been nice and warm for a few days. Our American guest told us she's developing the Scandinavian feeling of guilt we get if we're not outside when the weather's nice. I've been outside working hard to get things organized because we're going to get a week or more of rain and probably wind too. Got plenty of inside work to do now. I just sweep over the rooms with a glance before going outside. We've gone on more sightseeing trips. Had to cancel one due to avalanche/landslide danger. Hope we'll get to go before the guest leaves. The Cypripedium are blooming. The rain will ruin them. I didn't like the thought of that so I put a tent over them so I can enjoy their blooms a bit longer. Yep, I'm a silly gardener.

9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Still rainy cold. And cut down another tree swooning to one side from the winter ice storm.

Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Droopy

Good Sunday all. Temperatures are down to 12°C. It's raining hard at times, but will be heavier rain tomorrow. At least I don't have to water. I'm going to sort old photos today. Old like in between 60 and 110 years old photos, and I'm going to sit here, admire their clothes, landscape, houses and whatever else is on the photo. I'm also going to wonder who the people are. I might never know, but they were somebody my grandmother knew and probably loved, so I'll dive in and see what's what. Enjoy your day!

Melody Mc. likes this.
  11. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 12°C and raining. Like Droopy, it is raining hard at times and I ham happy I don't have to water today.
    I went to a new to me garden center yesterday and they actually had a peach tree! I've been looking for a peach tree for years! I also bought myself a yellow Baptisia, which I have also been looking for, so the trip was a success! Both plants are getting watered in by the rain today!
    Im not sure what I'm going to do today, I guess it all depends on how long it rains.

Melody Mc., Droopy and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tuesday, and we went to the vegetable gardens to harvest. Husband dug some potatoes and I picked tomatoes. A lot more tomatoes than I had expected. I made marinara sauce yesterday, and it looks like Thursday will be another marinara day. The house will smell great!
    I also cleaned the garlic that was hanging in the barn and brought it in. Timi the cat helped me water the pepper plants. She is big on watering anything. Do cats cross pollinate with fish?
    The rest of the day is relaxing and perhaps a nap. All that cat petting tires a person out!
    Have a good day, all.

Droopy and Melody Mc. like this.
  13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Do you can your marinara for the pantry MG? Or is it a fresh feast? I have only ever canned my tomatoes whole, but dare to dream that I get enough this year I was wondering about repurposing and then preserving.

14. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today is cool from overnight thunderstorms. I had frost two nights ago in the lower garden, but everyone survived with some remay help. I have stink-eye on the forecast for tonight with the hope of a frost risk not happening as predicited.

Shortly it will be up to the woodshed to split some more wood before a neighbour comes to pick some lettuce and spinach. The dry wood is done, now working on getting next years in the bay curing. I split and he stacks ( because he is WAY better at it)
    IMG_2076.JPG
    After this hubby goes to town for an appointment, and I am going to tackle cleaning up all of my pots and gardening debris off of the porch. I hope to have reclaimed the covered porch by the time he comes home. :) He's very patient with the tornados of debris that I cause, so it will be a nice surprise for him to have it all gone.

Droopy, Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Melody, I freeze the marinara sauce in pint containers. I have limited pantry space, so I freeze most things, and can the rest. I have found that blanching and then freezing most vegetables (not talking marinara sauce) preserves more of their flavor and texture.
    Canning is great, and I do can some things.

Melody Mc. likes this.