The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Wow early for anywhere in the states… we generally get the first frost in late night-Dec.
    But usually all the leaves have fallen from the deciduous tree and shrubs. If we get hit with a frost first the leaves become glued to their branches. Really ugly…:sulk:

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Last year my first hard frost came the third week in August. I lost the squash, zucchini, beans and artichokes that were in the lower gardens. The pole beans that were two feet above and higher didn't get it. May, June, July and August are intense to try and get as much veg garden in as possible. Last year, also,when I planted in May it snowed for five days. Everything was covered and made it through - but it is very much a crap shoot every year. Gotta love it :)

Frank and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today is a little warmer at 8 c this morning. It is pretty, clear fall day. Today is a bit of laundry, doing the dishes from yesterday's harvest day, and then working on the foundation of the old workshop. Feta rice with olives,peppers and zucchini, souvlaki and caesar salad for supper - rice and caesar dressing are made so an easy supper will bode well with the busy day.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gosh Mel, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: you face a unique set of gardening challenges up there. It could be worse though— you could have lived above the Arctic Circle.

Melody Mc. likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I imagine I would be heavy on the indoor garden with grow lights, and a ridiculously expensive fuel bill for my generator. :) My neighbours would hate me because of the noise of the generator and the bright lights keeping them awake, but perhaps would forgive me when I offered them greens hahahaha ( I would however be missing every root vegetable, squash and brassica known to man). I'm quite grateful for what I have. :) And very curious about how and what others can grow.

Shop renos are on hold until tomorrow, then we rip off the bandaid in the early morn.

Side cute note today. A baby bear was stuck on this side of the creek this morning as Momma was trying to teach him to cross, and maybe cool off. We could hear him crying up a fussy storm for about five minutes, running back and forth, then "splash splash splash " and silence. I'm happy the apples came in early. That may have been hard for them to pass up.

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You say that about a noisy generator but, there are generators available now that are almost noiseless. They employ “anti-noise” technology. They work a treat. So, should you ever move up north, there is a solution. ;)

Melody Mc. likes this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I did not know this....hmmmmm. We have a propane generator that runs our home when the power goes out, which is often and sometimes for days. Everything runs except the oven and dryer, but I have a toaster oven and hot plate, as well as an indoor clothes line in the loft for winter. But it is obnoxiously loud. We need ear plugs to sleep because it is just under our bedroom. I shall look into the "anti noise technology". That would be lovely.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  8. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Those are small inverter style generators. For more than 10,000 watts they will be a larger machine.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today is a cool overcast day with a high of 12. Hubby needs an inside day, so I have assigned myself a few necessary but boring tasks. First was to clean out the bathroom closet, which includes the annual checking of medications, expiry dates and first aid kit update. ( yawn). I have my list for when we go to the city in a couple of weeks. I keep a variety of over the counters that we only need when we need them, and we would not drive to town for when we need them. It will be a little bigger purchase than normal when I look at the list, but soon we will not be going to town for a month at a time if possible.

Next will be to perhaps clean out the tupperware cupboard, find missing lids and play "match or toss". I'm avoiding that one on the Stew right now, but the door is open and staring at me so it will be difficult to avoid. :suspicious:

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

You guys have the wheels squeaking to motion in my brain now. I was thinking on building something like a baffle box? to defect the noise. But I just searched for muffler silencer kits..... It's a little out of my scope,so I think I'll call my generator guy that installed it and see if there is something I can add onto it to help.

Sjoerd and Dirtmechanic like this.
  11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Run the wire and put it on the other end of the house.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That's a great suggestion, but it's pretty much fixed where it is. It is close to the new panel that it's been converted to. The geni comes on autimatically, and shuts off without an interruption in power. The gas line is all installed from the main large propane tank. It's on a concrete pad with a roof over it. It's a big Generac.

After years of our kids doing their homework, and hair etc in the AM by lantern before school...we got the geni the year after everyone moved out. We grew weary of running extentions cords through windows, and through the snow at -32 C to the chicken coop for the ladies to stay warm. The kids weren't very impressed with our timing- they would have prefered it when they lived here hahahaha. It's been great for us though. ;). Just loud. It never occured to me that there may be a mechanical solution to the problem. Looks like others on Dr. Google are not happy with the noise level on some.

I'm on the search! And very open to suggestions. :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

We have what is called a hot spot for iPhone and iPad & computer service. The iPhone can connect to it when the power is out so we can use our electronic devices. A notice from the power company will be turning off our power tomorrow . This is due to extreme dry conditions and high winds which are expected . It’s preventive measures to prevent wildfires , trees that blow down on wires cause many wildfires. We have 5 wildfires around us at this point many out of control . The eastern warm winds expected to blow towards the west from wildfires already burning makes an already dangerous dry conditions even worse.
    Will keep in touch..

Melody Mc., Dirtmechanic and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Pacnorwest - that is very smart prevention they are doing. That's unheard of here, and you're right - trees down on lines is a serious fire risk. Stay safe and hopefully the wind goes away and cooler weather prevails soon

15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Friday afternoon all. Currently 29°C and sunny. It is HOT!
    I worked extra hard to get all my work done on time and now I'm home waiting for it to cool down a bit so I can walk my dog.
    I look forward to sleeping in tomorrow haha
    Have a great night all :)

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.