The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Beautiful sunny but cool day here today at 14 C. I can make tomato concentrate indoors for the first time, which is a treat. It means that other tasks can be done at the same time. False Peanut Butter cookies ( Wow Butter) are in the oven for Hubby ( because of son's peanut allergy I don't have PB in the house) Two loaves of Banana Bread just came out, as well as a loaf of GF sandwich bread. Dinner is being prepped ( Lady J's Picatta chicken, last of the green beans and broccoli).

Quilts will go on the squash and remaining Toms in the greenhouse tonight. Then I hope time to sit on the deck with my own quilt and a mug of tea, to watch the sun set. Big town day tomorrow, so early bed tonight.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 15°C and mostly cloudy. I was up bright and early, have the dog walked and have showered. Now its time for a cuppa and some computer time!
    I have a webinar to attend at 10am and then it will be out to harvest the potatoes and onions. The garden is slowing down now, time to plant some fall lettuces etc
    Have a great day all :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently just 13°C and overcast. Weatherman says the sun will come out later and a high of 26 is expected.
    Another busy week at work done and today my daughter and I are helping daughter and SIL move to their rental house. They are building a house and have sold their present house so into a rental they go for a few months. We may actually be babysitters and not movers, but that is fine with me!

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Netty—Babysitters…well, you’ve got skills don’tcha.
    I hope all goes well with the building project.
    BTW, approximately how many more weeks of work do you have at your job?
    Is your garden at home winding down quickly or are you slowly slipping into fall?

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 19°C and raining. Thankfully the rain waited until I was back from my dog walk!
    A productive moving day yesterday. My youngest daughter was an excellent distraction to the kids while my SIL and I were busy moving big items. Mom was still busy packing boxes and we did get lots moved to the rental. We will move the rest next weekend.

I've probably got at least 6-8 weeks yet. I was solo most of this year so there is lots to do!
    My garden at home is slowing winding down ... I've harvested the potatoes, most of the tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. I still have lots of beans and cabbage and some onions to harvest. Fall crops are sprouting so I'll have lots of spinach and kale soon. I try to keep the garden going as long as I can!

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Netty, I get the picture. The season is long not over there yet then. That is good. It sounds like your gardening at home is going well too. I’m with you when it comes to keeping the garden going as long as possible. We know our limits here, so we do not fool around when it is time to begin with winterising.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Cool crisp -4 this am, but a beautiful clear morning. They seem to go hand in hand this time of year. My son just left after a few days and it was wonderful to see him. I spoiled him in the kitchen,and he spoiled us with helping with some gravel for ballast in the plough truck and bringing home a big green Fir for firewood for next year. That took the three of us to wrestle but it is up curing by the wood shed now.

All of the hard work for getting two years of wood in has paid off and the house is warm. Today I start the cedar kindling.

DSCN9401.JPG

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

If I don’t stop taking my hat off to you for your accomplishments, I shall go bald.
    Great work you two. I recall from my Alaskan days that the locating and collecting enough wood for a year or two was a must-do chore. If there was one thing I learned living there, was that one always had to think ahead and act. Alaska was swift to punish the lax personality.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  9. Netty

Good Wednesday afternoon all. Currently 30°C and sunny. It wasn't hot like this all day ... it just started the last hour of my work day, when I was W A Y out on the property with the weedeater and a big sweater on. By the time I had worked my way back it was hot, I still had my sweater on and I was pouring sweat and my face was very red. Girl at the front desk asked my why I didn't take my sweater off, and I just shrugged haha Now I'm home having a cold drink and resting my feet and there is a severe thunderstorm warning in effect. Expected high is only 11°C tomorrow!
    Have a good evening all :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Loved the anecdote, Netty.
    You’d better be careful with that heat, you could feel really bad. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.;)

11. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 10°C and raining.
    A busy day yesterday as it was moving day for my daughters family. We were there bright and early and didn't get home until bed time!
    She'll be busy today unpacking and trying to get her (much smaller rental) house set up. I sure hope their new home build is finished quickly- but then I'll have to help move again haha
    I'll be busy today at my own house, getting this house cleaned up. Did I mention that our hot water tank quit on Friday afternoon? It was 25 years old so it wasn't really a surprise, but I'm determined to replace it with another oil fired unit and those are getting harder to find.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Netty

Good Monday afternoon all. Currently 15°C and raining. It was actually a nice day until after work on my dog walk when it decided to pour rain. Mother Nature says its going to pour tomorrow too.
    I have just sliced in half, cored and stuffed (with creamcheese) the Nadapeno peppers from my garden. Will now top with bacon and bake ... YUM!
    Have a great night all :)

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh my— that sounds VERY tasty.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Baking today—awkk, where are you Jane?!

Melody Mc. likes this.
  15. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you for the kindness SJoerd...probably best to leave your hat on Friend. ;) I think your appreciation for the need to get firewood when you lived in Alaska would be far greater than mine. Alaska is it's own beautiful entity. :) Getting firewood in is a huge part of living here. Last year we had a fire from mid Sept to middle of May. As our primary heat, in a long year we can go through 14 cords We are very conservative with propane heat to supplement.
    Last year I had the funniest display in the memory of my digital thermometer. + 42 summer and -40 winter- sadly it was lost when the batteries needed replacing.