The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently just 6°C and overcast. I've been for my dog walk and now I'm home having a coffee and making a plan of attack for all the things I want to get done today! I managed to get most of the garden cleaned out yesterday, but there is still some kale, cabbage and swiss chard doing well. I'm trying to figure out what to do with all the eggplant I harvested ... I'm not a huge fan and had a bumper crop this year. I like to slice and grill, but not sure if I can freeze eggplant so some research is required. Anyone have ideas?
    It's going to be another busy day! Have a great day all :)

Jewell, Sjoerd and Dirtmechanic like this.
  2. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Look into a reduction. They have a certain unique flavor in all that pith. Across a year I bet those moments when you want to try something new in th kitchen might work out well since it is freezable. You can recycle the remnants with no salt added.

My Wife: Honey what is that you are mixing with the Parmesan?

Me: Essential Eggplant!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    Jewell, Netty, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Another beautiful fall morning with the sun shining on the remaining leaves. Such a pretty contrast to the frost on the ground. -2 this am, with a high of 20 expected. Like many it is unusally warm and very dry. It looks like that pattern that has been stuck may end for us next weekend. They've extended the open burning and large fire bans until the end of October ( not including campfires). That's a first for us. Usually the loggers are getting ready to burn their slash piles about now.

Pacnorwest, Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Ditto

Pacnorwest likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Monday afternoon all. Currently 9°C and overcast, with rain expected. It feels really cold out there with the wind blowing!
    Off to the rink shortly, where I will spend 4 hours dreaming about laying in my bed haha I'm so tired!
    Have a great night all :)

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    First morning with temps in the 30s (39F-4C). Foggy and feels like fall for the first time this year. There is even rain in the forecast. Transplanted the last of the perennials for this season yesterday evening. Looking forward to next year to see what nature does with my efforts.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Still in the 80’s here across the Columbia …next week it’s gonna cool off. Usually Halloween we have a snow storm…

Jewell likes this.
  8. Netty

Good Wednesday afternoon all. Currently 6°C and overcast. I had a rain day off work today, only it didn't rain all day like the weatherman said it would. Not one drop!
    It was fine with me, as I got a lot of work done around the house today! I also made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting with my freshly harvested carrots. YUM!
    Have a great day all :)

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

My mum used to make those, Netty !
    Boy, when I read that I got this huge flashback. Thanks for that.
    Now I have to visit the coolerator and see if something appeals. :setf_004:

Netty likes this.
  10. Netty

Good Thursday evening all. Currently just 5°C and overcast.
    It was a very busy day at work today, and it was all I could do to muster my late dog walk. I'm exhausted!
    Had a lovely dinner and then a piece of carrot cake and a glass of milk YUM
    Now I just have to coast until its late enough to go to bed :chuckle:
    Have a great evening all :)

Jewell, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Netty

Good Tuesday afternoon all. Currently 16°C and overcast. It was a lovely day and I got a lot of work done today!
    So glad to see the Stew up an running today!
    Came home and enjoyed a sliced tomato on toasted rye with some pepper. I am going to be so sad when my home grown tomatoes are gone!
    I've already picked out what kinds I am going to grow next year :)

Jewell likes this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

It has cooled way down temps in the 4o’s nite, 50’s day, and the rainy season has started. Not much left to do except wait for the leaves to fall.

Jewell likes this.
  13. Netty

Good Thursday evening all. Currently 10°C and sunny. It was a great day for working outside! And I actually had a helper today and I'm sure he will sleep good tonight!
    Stopped at the grocery store on my way home and I'm really noticing the price increases lately. Gas is up in price again too, and I'm not sure how young families are coping.
    We filled our (heating) oil tank and it costs over double what it cost last year - $2158 and that should last until mid January. I guess I should be happy that I was able to get any heating oil at all as I know Europe is in a crisis. This world has gone haywire and I think we need to reboot

Jewell, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Netty … exact same issues here from groceries to oil tank. I almost fainted when I read the bill for heating oil. Also several states Calif and in Canada are talking about cars all electric by 2035 and will discontinue production lines for gasoline vehicles.

And talking about heat in homes all must be all elec and convert homes from natural gas and oil.

Last summer the governor of Calif said that during the last heat wave, Calif came very close to not having enough electricity in their power grids for the city to cool all the homes in LA during the heat wave. So what’s gonna happen after 2035 when only elec cars are made /gas autos discontinued, and elec autos on the roads when Calif has a their annual summer heat wave with homes to cool, plus thousands of elec cars to recharge with their toxic batteries?
    Will the elec power grids be able to accommodate thousands of cars and cool all the homes during a heat wave?

Jewell likes this.
  15. Netty

Yes, they are really pushing the electric cars here too, but I won't do that until I have to ... I just bought a new car in December!
    Good Friday afternoon all. Currently 10°C and sunny. What a great day for working outside!
    I got lots done today and now I'm home, have walked the dog and now we are getting ready to head to the rink. The weekend looks good so I'll get lots done at home :)
    Have a great night all :)

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.