The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We don’t see that much over here, although it is grown by some. Great vid, Daniel.
    you do so many interesting things.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday morning all. Currently -2°C and sunny.
    Not much going on today, just some fall cleaning in the kitchen, and the rink later this afternoon.
    Haven't found many deals online for cyber Monday, has anyone else had luck?
    Have a great day everyone :)

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Dirtmechanic like this.
  3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Not a deal kinda year with supply chain shortfalls. Target had too much inventory but if it is not what you want it does not matter.

Melody Mc. and Netty like this.
  4. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 0°C and overcast. Looks like rain too.
    I might try to do a little clean up in the greenhouse today. I kinda abandoned it when the snow came, and left a mess on the shelves when I carried the plants into the house.
    Plus I have mouse traps to check, and organizing to do out there. Its a fun kind of cleaning haha I already have my seeds for next years garden so it will be nice to be clean and ready.
    Then later, or maybe tomorrow, I'll be dragging out the totes for Christmas decorating. DD has been nagging me for weeks!
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc. likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 4°C and raining. We also have strong winds, which are supposed to increase throughout the day, according to the special weather statement in effect. I went out to clean the greenhouse yesterday, and found some bulbs that I forgot to plant! I got them in the ground, cleaned off all the counters/shelves and swept the floor. I'm ready for spring now! Today, I'm hoping to get some wrapping done while DD is out of the house, and later its off to the rink.

Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Ditto @Daniel W ! I am moving my horseradish this spring and hoping to start processing it. That was a great post - thank you :)

Daniel W likes this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Happy Wednesday morning. Today is making spaghetti sauce from the canned and frozen garden tomatoes. It is the first time using the reduced tomatoes, so it is very exciting business simmering the day away. We are bracing for the first cold snap tonight of -30 C. Currently -8 and snowing like a heavy blanket. Cedar boughs were made for the entrance ways and one more small wreath to make for the deer antlers above the door before the cold comes tonight.

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

That's exciting! I like the home made (reduced tomato) sauce a lot! It's the main reason I set aside a raised bed each year, just for sauce tomatoes,

Year ago, I remember someone telling me they grew tomatoes for making sauce and I thought, why do that? You can buy it. But then I tried. Oh yes, so so good!

Somewhere I picked up a virus. I guess. I've had the covid vax X 2 plus four boosters, plus a monoclonal antibody treatment - Im a guinea pig for that one due to chemo. Plus the old person double dose flu vaccine. But it's still possible to get sick. So staying in with electric blanket and nonelectric dog. Plus it's pouring rain anyway.

Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thanks Daniel :) I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sorry you are under the weather. I bumped into my uncle last week, and he was coming back from a vaccination appointment. When I asked him how he was doing he made a funny comment that made me think of your description. "I'm good for a fella with more vaccine than blood in his veins.". ;):D

Here is hoping that the virus you caught doesn't hang around and your boosted immune system helps it hit the road. Doggy heaters are the best.

Tetters and Daniel W like this.
  10. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Mel, I had a bit of bother with my tomato based sauces when I started making them, and learned that a half teaspoon of bicarb in the pot sweetens the tomatoes up much better than sugar would - but then I expect you already knew about that :rolleyes:
    Your temperatures are seriously cold there. It would probably do me in. How do you manage to stay alive when it's that bad??

Melody Mc. likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sorry that you are feeling bad, Daniel.
    Take good care.

Melody Mc. and Daniel W like this.
  12. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently -2°C and snow with high winds. It blew all night and was shaking the house!
    Radar shows it stopping soon, so I'm going to continue on with my regular shopping and errands, however I'll take the vehicle with the good snow tires.
    Hoping to pick up a few Christmas gifts as well.

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I had never heard of adding baking soda Tetters. I just read about it and the science makes sense. :) Thanks for that.
    It didn't get as cold as expected last night, only -24. I think it is just what you get used to. When it gets this cold we don't do a whole lot of outside stuff, inside by the fire and relaxing is more the order of the day. People who have to work in it or ranch in the cold have my full respect. My friends and family up north brave the cold a lot more. I still have my parka from my days up there and by huge winter boots. They will get broken out of storage today and live inside for the rest of the winter. Angus has winter booties that he patiently lays down and sticks his legs in the air to have put on. ( he looks very silly doing this, but it's how he has decided he wants it done).

Tetters likes this.
  14. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently -2°C and overcast. Its very gloomy out there today.
    DD insists we decorate for Christmas today, so that is what we're doing. Not the tree, but the rest of the decorations. We'll do the tree on Sunday.

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -2°C and sunny. The wild winds that have been blowing for days are finally gone. Yesterday we had rain.
    Today is the 1st annual National Ice Skating Day, so lace up those skates and do some skating!
    DD and I put up all our decorations on Friday, and we did the tree yesterday. The only think left is to put a wreath up on the door. Lots of gifts under the tree already, it almost looks like Santa has already been here! I've had so much fun shopping for toys for the grandkids this year, I've missed that.
    Not a lot on the list to do today, so it might be a quiet one.

Sjoerd likes this.