The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Nothing as ambitious as Netty's canning adventures, but I do have a large pot of chicken broth simmering on the stove. Husband is at the dentist getting a filling replaced, so we will be having a "soft" lunch of soup. He asked what we would be having for lunch today and I told him beef jerky. Cruel, I know, but you should have seen his face!

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cackle…..what’r you like, Jane.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently -5°C and overcast.
    I've had my dog walk and I'm having my coffee, then its down to the basement to re-organize and put up my new shelf. Then I can sort through and inspect all of my canned goods and fill the new shelf. Then I can make an inventory and try to keep it organized. That should keep my busy a good part of today!
    Tonight its off to the rink.
    Have a great day all :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Busy day yesterday. Did my usual volunteer morning at the free clinic (reception and make coffee). Then went to my own healthcare system for blood tests. Then a check at the thrift store in the same shopping plaza, for fabric / shirts, didn't find anything that met my standards. Amazon cancelled my order for burgundy batik, to researched on line and found some I liked better, for less, yay!. Then a trip to local (not big box) hardware store for brackets, for a shelf I've been wanting to add in my home office / den / nap room, for a long time. Then I had the first Spanish class at the community college. I liked that a lot - he started right off using Spanish, instead of using English first. My old Pimmsleur lessons have helped a bit - I understood more than expected. It was fun.

Today is time for making another batch of dog food, which will keep me busy. Then set up sone more seed trays, and some studying.

Melody Mc., marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

[QUOTE="

I don't have a favorite thing to can. I do prefer to pressure can over water bath or steam can, but I can do all three. I put up a lot of my garden produce, but also do dry beans, BBQ pork, meats, soups and stews and what every I get a good deal on at the stores. Its just something I enjoy doing and I like that I know exactly what is in my food. Its also very convenient to have ready meals in jars for those busy skating days. The next thing I want to try canning is chili.
    Have a great day all :)[/QUOTE]
    Your system is a lot safer and Tastier than food in the stores .

Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 0°C and freezing ice pellets. It is also very dark outside!
    Thursday once again so I'm off to do my regular errands and shopping. We need groceries and I must find a new dishwasher drain hose as mine sprung a leak. Home and then off to babysit the grandkids while their Mom takes their dog to the vet.
    Another busy day!

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Today, deliver meals and then a doctor's appointment. The doctor's office is not far from "that store" that sells the special cadmium flavored chocolate. Might go there because they sometimes have nice orchids, and that might make up for the unpleasantness of seeing the doctor.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Happy but chilly Friday to you all! The cat is not pleased with temperatures in the high 30's this morning, so she is inside letting us know she needs attention, LOTS of attention. Husband fed the wild birds, who are enjoying their breakfast, tiffin, brunch. We may have no seed in the feeders by mid-afternoon. Hoovers!
    I have beans soaking to make cassoulet tomorrow, and made tuna salad for my husband (personally I don't see the attraction, but if he likes it, we have it!)
    Laundry to do--how do two people dirty so many clothes? Fortunately the cat cleans her own fur. I cannot imagine doing laundry for a family.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Here, here Jane. It isn’t something I want to know either. Chuckle.

10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

We've had very unusually mild temperatures for January. Highs of 7 C, lows of 0 or 3, and lot's of melt. It is a very sketchy skating rink out there. I have special boots that hubby bought me years ago that go over top of my hiking shoes. they are a step up from my usual grippers. They're made for mountaineering. Not the most comfy but very safe. Poor Angus has a hard time crossing the yard to his favourite poop places.

This morning was cleaning out the ash boxes and laying safe trails for Hubby. Then cooking some soaked overnight beans, and making pizza shells. Yesterday I made mozzarella cheese for the first time, so it should be a lovely pizza. Firewood is in for the day, and dishes and laundry are done.

I've been wanting to do seeds for three days now but haven't had a chance. Hopefully tomorrow. :)

It feels so much like Spring, I have to remind myself it is January. In a week I'm back into -20...so I'm sure enjoying it while I can. I'm off to make two mugs of tea, grab a blanket, and put our chairs on the deck with a heating bag for Hubby.

Sjoerd, marlingardener and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Melody ..fingers crossed you continue to have a mild winter…here on the west coast it’s been a bit chaotic.
    One day winds that blow the trees and branches all over and roads blocked , power outages ,rivers out of their banks.
    The worst issues other than the snow and ice on the roads are puttin up with the usual idiots on the roads. Every day I have at least one serious close call drivers are crazy even in this weather. I ordered a dash cam to get pics …
    The hills here are treacherous. I need a tank.

Was up on the roof had a leak and patched with wet patch… it was windy and rainy in the dark last night but got it done..the inside drywall is another story.

I see how busy you too, it’s always a busy winter with so much to manage on our own. You have some super cooking skills too. Where do you get all the energy. It’s funny when we are on our own.. how things get done.

The past few mornings the deer have been camped out in the garden, yesterday emptied my pellet gun -no pellets just the cartridge is emptied …the noise scares them . I need to get out and put down Planyskyyd. Keeps all critters away .I took out a couple bales of alfalfa to the wooded area this am. Usually that keeps them busy for a few days. Poor things, lil babies and so hungary. I’m sure the horses don’t mind sharing a few bales.
    And…
    On to the next….

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Netty - I wanted to thank you for this idea. You used one of these for your seeds and I had not seen one before. Santa brought me one for my recipe cards, and multiple books. I appreciate the idea. :) I'm sorry I was confused over who suggested it until I saw your post again. :)

DSCN9795.JPG

Pacnorwest likes this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

F8221BA5-73E7-4B72-9D90-C0630738B1D4.jpeg Mel… nicely organized… great idea from Netty…. My left over seeds and seeds collected are in zip lock baggies and any other handy container I could find at the moment.. all stuffed in a box..or two not very useful , at some point I hope to start some from seed this spring.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Looks similar to my seed box, Pac.

15. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -14°C and sunny. The price we pay for sunshine is the COLD! Thats ok, we all need a good boost of vitamin D!
    Up bright and early to walk the dog and make a lasagna. DD has a couple of skaters in their very first competition so she needs to be there to represent. It should be a fun day watching all the new skaters experience their first Club event.
    Thanks @Melody Mc. You are going to love your seed organizer! It keeps seeds so much more organized and managable.I made another one for my eldest daughter and grandsons for Christmas - personalized it with my cricut and filled it with lots of vegetable seeds for their new garden. They are building a house and are starting from scratch this spring. They loved it!
    Have a great day all :)

Droopy, Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.