The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Good Friday morn to you too..have fun at the rink.
    Good Friday to all.. have a nice day;;;mspring will be here before we know it ..:)

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

The last cold night (28F) has gone by and I can turn the irrigation back on not that we need it. Storms and rain are coming every week. As it heats up the Tornado season arrives. I was thinking we have had a few tornadoes near us that seems to be in a certain area or alley so I looked up tornados in Alabama since 1950. I really should not have done that.

Screenshot_20230127-190022.png

Daniel W and Droopy like this.
  3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It feels wrong to "like" your post, @Dirtmechanic, but it was very informative.

Good morning! We've got 4°C, a bit of rain and wind, and no hope of seeing the sun for a few days. Storm will hit this afternoon and dump a lot of rain on us tomorrow and Monday. Middle wind is gale force, so I'm not going to wear a hat. Maybe a sou'wester is in order. Two of the grandkids are here to be with their father. They want to come for a quick visit and I am so looking forward to hugging them! Haven't seen them since the beginning of October. I need to spend time at the stables too, trying to make some alterations to a couple of rugs I got from one of the women there. Skuld is a lot slimmer than her Icelandic, but needs must! Skuld's rugs will be arriving some time next week but he needs something to wear now.

Have a lovely day all!

Pacnorwest likes this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Droopy Good morning … it’s a good thing you’re familiar with weather and the needs of Skuld. A blanket is essential in cold weather. Getting something to fit him properly until his new warm blanket arrives is a great idea. Those long curved needles ..with think safety thread will do well for a temp warm blanket.:):setc_005:

Dirt. Tornados - Your history pic doesn’t miss a spot in your area. We have had a few cyclones this year near the northwest northern coast . The sea sloshes up and covers everything in its path on the way inland with seafoam.
    Even wales have turned up beached on the coast. So the big debate now is how to remove the carcass . Last time a whale was beached the brainstorm idea was to blow the carcass up. That ended up working out badly as huge chunks actually smashed cars nearby and a greater mess.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Good Sunday morning! We've got 7°C, the wind is howling around the corners, and it's pouring down outside. Today and tomorrow will be rough weather-wise. I have to be outside in this, but just for a short while two-three times. I hope the thunder storm they're threatening us with won't hit here but stay out at sea. Enjoy the day, people!

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -4°C and snowing. It's a nice, gentle snow and its so peaceful outside. Beautiful!
    I have no plans today, so I'm going to 'wing it'!
    Have a great day all :)

Pacnorwest and Droopy like this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, how nice that you have a gentle snowfall, and a day to "wing it." I have the feeling your winging it would exhaust most people!
    We have rain and fog. I put some rub on pork ribs for dinner and got some laundry started. That's about it for my day, except for watching bull riding on the TV this afternoon. I'm "slothing it"!

8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

The marine layer still has us in the Twilight Zone , misting lightly. Weather conditions for this evening winds coming from the east cold 50-70 mph. So batten down your hatches Ladies… it’s tornado winds a common…UGH.
    At least it will blow out the foggy marine layer…

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently -12°C and gently snowing. We've had more snow in the last week than we have all winter so far!
    Hoping to get together a crew of volunteers to help catalog the skating clubs costumes. That should take most of the day today!

Pacnorwest, Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Good morn Netty and Good Day All….it’s 20’ today marine layer lifted and a huge cold front has arrived. Wind chill down to -10’ by evening. I hope that too many garden plants are not effected. The rhodies have shriveled up so tight to protect the plants from freezing , they have very shallow roots and very hardy to -37-35 degrees.

Droop and Curl in Rhododendrons
    Some rhododendron leaves begin to droop when temperatures drop to around 35°F(2°C). Around 32°F(0°C) the leaves cup and curl at the edges. Around 25°F(-4°C), the leaves will be curled very tight. This problem is not caused by insects or disease but is a way the plant protects its leaves during cold, dry, windy weather. Plants should return to normal when the weather warms again.

In cold weather, high light exposure to rhododendron leaves is detrimental. It damages chloroplasts that are responsible for photosynthesis. However, the rhododendrons that have the ability to droop and or roll their leaves can reduce exposure to light. Such temperature related behavior is called thermonastic leaf movement. The drooping occurs in the petiole (leaf stem). The leaf curl occurs in the leaf itself. So, the temperatures at which these phenomena occur is different. The protection of the photosynthesis producing chloroplasts is important because most photosynthesis in rhododendrons occurs in early spring before the leaves on deciduous trees come out. Some rhododendrons such as R. ponticum don't exhibit thermoplastic leaf movements. For rhododendrons that are cold hardy such as R. catawbiense, a typical response is:

• Above 40°F(4°C): Leaves are open and horizontal to catch the sun's rays
    • 40 – 34°F(4 – 1°C): Leaves start to droop, but don't really start to curl yet
    • 33 – 25°F(1 – -4°C): Leaves droop all the way down and begin to curl
    • Below 25°F(-4°C): Leaves curl up into tight rolls

• for more info…http://rhodyman.net/Winter.html

Netty likes this.
  11. Droopy

Good Tuesday morning! We've got 2°C, overcast, promise of some snow later but just a little. Hope they're right about that. I need to get some housework done, but stables first. Then maybe I'll get to do some genealogy afterwards.

Hope you have a nice day.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  12. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -12°C and cloudy. We might see some sunshine today!
    Spent a total of 7 hours unboxing, sorting, counting and photographing skating show costumes yesterday, only to pack them back up and stack away again. We will be making a photo journal inventory of all our costumes, and that should save time when planning our ice show. My feet and back were sore at the end, but I ended up with 23,000 steps in the end!
    Today, more skating club projects ... today we print and put together raffle ticket books! Oh the fun never stops haha

Droopy, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Droopy

Gosh, @Netty! I admire your energy. Good luck with the raffle and photo journal.

Good morning! -1°C, ice everywhere, but we migth also see some sun today. The horses could have their breakfast outside, and it was light enough to see at 08.30. Skuld is getting his dental treatment and a vaccine today. We're also heading out to the saw mill to see if we can bring home some bedding for the horses. Hard, dusty work, but we sorely need some. There's a country-wide shortage of planing shavings and sawdust for some reason. Hope I'll be home in time for dinner today.

Enjoy the Wednesday all.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  14. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently -12°C and overcast.
    Well, I got 600 raffle tickets printed and ready to go, and also most of the costume photo inventory ready to print. Today, I'm working on the computer, updating the clubs playlists and also designing a banner for the wall. I think I should get the volunteer of the year award haha
    Making a chicken teriyaki stir fry for dinner with some rice, and then it will be time to head to the rink.
    Another full day :)

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We still have ice, but today, Wednesday, is supposed to be the last of our winter storm. We, the cat, and the hens have all "weathered" the cold and ice well. We and the cat are hunkering down inside, and the hens have heat lamps and plenty of food and water.
    When the storm was predicted I took several meals covered in foil to our neighbor who gets Meals on Wheels. I feared the Wheels would not go out on icy roads. She could remove the foil and then nuke the meals to have something hot for dinner.
    Netty, you definitely deserve the Volunteer of the Year award, and maybe a banquet, too!