The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

My goodness Lady J. You sure are going through a challenging time right now. Hopefully this far into it, the light at the end of the tunnel will show it's way soon. I was reading about the ice storm you had, and the history of them in Central Texas. Some of you had over 3/4 on an inch of ice buildup in this storm....that's insane. Is it melting now? Stay safe friend.

(and I'm in line with Sjoed...move here instead of Bangladesh. You could drive here :p It would take 38 hours of non stop driving.......but it could be done. [perhaps it would be easier to fly to Sjoerd's house.....] :D

Pacnorwest and marlingardener like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Wow Sjoerd what a special person you are to care for a garden friend with weather storms wreaking havoc for their lives. Your very kind appreciate those qualities and good character.

Droopy, marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -2°C and overcast. Quite a change from the last 2 mornings of -25°C plus windchill!
    I knew something was up yesterday when the cold arctic winds switched to south winds! Temperature is going to reach +3°C today!
    I'm off to drop off 7 pairs of skates for sharpening and have a visit with my sister today. We have paperwork to go through as we are still trying to settle my mothers estate - she passed in 2020. Toronto is brutal for required papers!
    Have a great day all :)

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Say Netty, how come you guys do not sharpen your own skates? Is that common there?

Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

It was 0 this morning and snowing. By 9 am it was +2 and raining. I went for my hike down the road anyhow - very strange getting rained on in Feb. Hubby came by in the truck about fourty minutes later, and we carried on to the landfill. From there to a neighbour's to drop her off a loaf of banana bread. It is one of her favourites so she was quite excited. The moose are beginning to come down from the highlands. There was lots of tracks today, so next time I will be sure to take my air horn and have a bell on my walking poles.

Netty, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently -4°C and overcast.
    Not much going on today, so I think I'm going to start my deep kitchen cleaning. I'll be starting with the drawers - dumping out all the cutlery/utensils and wiping drawers and sorting. With 3 people here that put away the dishes, things are getting lost haha Might as well get all the deep cleaning done before gardening season!
    Yes, its very common here, especially for figure skates. A figure skaters accuracy is directly related to the condition of the blades, the position of the rocker, and the sharpness of the inside and outside edges. If one of those things is off, even just slightly, it will affect the skaters balance. We have a sharpener that specializes in high performance skates, and he's worth every penny! Just recently one of our skaters decided to get their skates sharpened somewhere else and their skates ended up with the rocker pushed forward and the heel ground down. When you are paying between $300 and $900 for blades alone you want to protect your investment!

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mondays for some of us are very good days, and I hope you all are among the "some of us". enjoying Monday. Things are back to normal here (as normal as they ever are!). Our new neighbors came to thank us for our concern about their welfare during the power outage. Nice gesture, but hardly needed.
    Husband is in town to find out if our bank, which has recently been sold, will have to be changed. I am cleaning, not deeply like Netty, just hitting the high spots!

Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for the answer, Netty. I asked because our skaters frequently sharpen and adjust their own.

You sure do make neighbours feel welcome.

Pacnorwest, Netty and Melody Mc. like this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today is plus 4 and breezy, so I took a chance and put the bedding out of the clothes line. It will be nice to have some fresh bedding tonight. Angus had a care day. Nails were trimmed, a good brushing outside ( his mixed malamute blood has him molting three times a year) and his ears were cleaned ( he hates this more than a bath). Then a big vaccuum and dusting ( aka Angus hair removal) ensued. Now we will be good...until tomorrow. :) Thank goodness for a swiffer.

Pacnorwest, marlingardener and Netty like this.
  10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Good Tuesday morning! We have 94°C, wind and rain with promise of drier weather later. I'm planning to cut more Helleborus foliage if I get home before dusk. Still haven't found my headlamp but will keep on looking.

@Netty Thanks for explaining about your very expensive metal. I understand the need for precision when figure skating. One small slip-up and you're out, right?

@marlingardener You're a good person!

@Melody Mc. Hair removal is a big thing here too, but mostly from my clothes when I get home.

Hope you all have a good Tuesday!

11. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -3°C and overcast. It's only -3°C yet for some reason our sump pump hose is frozen this morning.
    I got my kitchen drawers all cleaned out yesterday, and the cupboard under the sink. Then I make a huge batch of BBQ pulled pork and canned it up for my pantry shelf. Pork is on sale this week so I wanted to take advantage!
    I have some bookwork to do today, and lots of laundry.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Netty I really love hearing about everything that you pressure can. It's not something I've done a lot of, other than green beans, salmon and trout. You have me wanting to venture out further. I do love my pressure canner. My Auntie was much like you and pressure canned meats when available, beans, soups, stews etc. Can I ask, with the heat of the pressure canning - do you find the taste and texture changes?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  13. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I WAS rolling along today! I have been making my own corned beef and was in the kitchen with my over salted second effort (Thanks Tender Quick!) using it like a salt pork with onions, turnips, brussel sprouts, carrots and yellow squash. When I turned off the heat I picked up my phone and saw this in my feed. I had to sit down.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/sci...-creator-worlds-first-gene-edited-humans-says

Pacnorwest likes this.
  14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday morning! Currently 9°C, scattered clouds and stormy weather. At least we're not living near Stadt where there's a hurricane in action. I'm going to buy some building material and try to make a hatch for the hay loft today. It's pretty drafty with winds coming in from the south. I'm also going to plan how to close the gap to the north to stop even more draft. I'm not going to do any gardening even though it's dry. I don't like strong winds.

Hope you'll all have a nice day!

I've read about made-to-order-babies before. It made me shiver. Couldn't read your article since it's for subscribers.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  15. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 1°C and overcast.
    I'm up bright and early, I've walked the dog and I've already got (gluten, soy and dairy free) birthday cupcakes in the oven. Today our granddaughter turns 1! I'll get then frosted and then take them over to the birthday girl. I can't believe she is already a year old!
    Meat becomes incredibly moist and delicious! My boys love their canned bbq pulled pork! So easy to make too, and always shelf stable 'fast food' ready on the shelf!

Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.