The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 7°C and sunny. I've had my walk, carried my seedlings outside, and now I'm enjoying a cup of coffee. I have a lot to do today, starting with cutting grass and trimming, checking the garden for bunnies and a possible round up, weeding and finally some planting. I also want to head over the my daughters house under construction as they have finished grading the yard and she is finally starting to plan her gardens. So excited for her!!
    If I get all that done today, I'll sleep well tonight!
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, ain't spring wonderful? Hope the bunnies have vacated!
    The boil water notice has been rescinded, so we can drink tap water, for now . . . .
    Harvesting herbs, have a cassoulet going on the stove, and a baguette thawing. We are going continental today--pizza for lunch and cassoulet and a baguette for dinner. Not nearly as ambitious as Netty's plans, but it will do for me.
    Have a nice European day all!

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Will do, Jane. Cheers.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    @marlingardener sorry, don’t think I will ever feel good about having dirt under my nails since I can never seem to NOT have dirt under my nails.:oops:

The nighttime temps have been low 44F. In the cool 70s by 4 PM today. So far no noticeable rain for over a month but 80+ degrees often. Have grass going dormant in some sections of the yard. Glad I only have small areas I will water. Looks to possibly be another weirdly dry summer, but there never was a normal anyway:whistling:.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

It’s a hassle, inconvient and more extra work . Amazing how a simple thing like water running in homes can get so complicated.

Melody Mc., Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 13°C and sunny. It looks like another beautiful day ahead!
    Today, the cabbage, kale, beets, and cherry tomatoes are being planted! It sure would be nice for a bit of rain to water everything in, but the forecast isn't showing any rain until at least Thursday. I should learn to enjoy the beautiful weather ... funny how everything seems to revolve around the rain when you are a gardener!
    As requested, I am making another rhubarb cake today.
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Jewell like this.
  7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Here in the North-West we are fortunate to never have problems with water.
    We rarely have hosepipe bans. On the odd occasion we have had a short one, more I think "in sympathy" for those areas which endure longer ones. It's happened maybe twice in fifty years.

When we had a 3000 gall koi pool I was paying about £80 a month for water and sewage. For three decades as well as the filtration, I was trickle-changing between five and ten percent of the water each week that's a minimum of 30,000 gallons over the life of the pool. Since it's closure I've been on a water meter (wouldn't countenance one before) and I pay £35 a month.
    I won't let my garden be short of water whatever it costs, which is likely to be less than that of replacing plants that die from lack of water.

The meter is in the footpath, these days, they want you to have it in the house. I wouldn't.
    There's no problem reading the meter, it's wi-fi and it's read by a van with the reading kit twice a year. It just drives down the street picking up the readings. Another advantage, with United Utilities, is if you have a blockage in the waste pipework between your house and the main sewer, they fix it and you don't pay for it.

I'm not fond of meters. I won't have a smart meter for gas or leccy. It's no bother reading the meters each month and sending in the readings on-line.

I don't need anyone or anything to tell me when to turn down a thermostat or turn off unnecessary electrical equipment.

Some electrical suppliers are now giving customers a reduction in the charge if they reduce their consumption during peak hours. Long before that happened, I was always of the opinion we could end up paying more for peak hour consumption!

So for me, it's no "smart" meter.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Formula 1 racing in Monaco this morning! We are watching it while having coffee, and as usual I am rooting for Max Verstappen. What is is about those sleek cars zipping around a course surrounded by gorgeous architecture that is so fascinating? I think I just answered my own question.
    Lovely day today--warm, sunny, and a very light breeze. Maybe a little garden weeding later, or a glass of wine and a sit on the patio. Tough choice, eh?
    Hope your Sunday is restful, and the rest of your week is productive.

9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    A morning of marine influence. Will start preparing for the first camping trip this year to the Olympic Peninsula to a new to me area, Fort Flagler State Park. From information I continue to learn there will be lots of nature to see. Will be a great week.

10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewell Olympic pen sounds fun.. have a great vaca. Take lots of pics to share..

Melody Mc., Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Happy Tuesday. I'm waiting for timers to go and tasks to be attended to so that I can go outside and mow for an hour. The cool mountain air has returned for the most part with lows of 6 C, so the dew is heavy in the AM.

A big black bear has decided that he really appreciates the lush thick green areas that are irrigated and have not been mowed for a week. Angus put the run on him last night, right at his heels. I did not even see the bear at the time as he was grazing behind a bush. Thankfully Angus came back when called, as he chased the bear into the tree line which always is a worry.

About ten minutes later the bruin was back grazing at the same spot beside the garden. A shotgun warning shot just made him look up, a second one and yelling encouraged him to move on. I'll make time for a "survival mow" today just to knock down thick areas on the perimeter so as not to encourage him to come close to the house like that.

Hard to blame the guy...looking up with big gobs of grass and dandilions in his mouth, like a horse making a grab for grass when the reins are relaxed. The buffet will be removed today, and then he can source the dandilions by the creek instead. Less convenient for him, but equally delicious I'm sure.

His big bear butt knocked off a few branches in the new Haskap patch, some with green berries on them. I collected the branches and am trying to root them for new bushes. Always a silver lining. :)

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Exciting business there.
    You guys be careful with those bears, some folks think they are not too dangerous, but they can hurt you. Just mind how you go, meid.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  13. Netty

Good Tuesday afternoon all. Currently 28°C and sunny. It sure is HOT!
    My work day started out great, but sure slowed down once the temperature went up! Tomorrow the high is to hit 30°C so I'm going to start work an hour earlier. I love starting at 6am, its so peaceful and I get a lot done without interruption. And the bonus is that I am done at 2:30 and that leaves lots of time to get my own stuff done.
    Off to the rink, I think that will be a nice spot to cool down.
    Have a great evening all :)

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We had an easy day. I weeded the Roma tomatoes while husband was touching up the paint in the remodeled bathroom. We had rain this afternoon, so no watering tomorrow! Sometimes Mother Nature helps us out.
    Netty, you start at 6 a.m.? My stars, I'm still tucked in bed at that time. and husband is on the computer. No work for us until 7 a.m.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

So mother nature is still playing mind games here in the northeast
    Today: Widespread haze. Sunny, with a high near 81.
    Tonight:Widespread haze before 1am.Clear, with a low around 51.
    Thursday:Sunny, with a high near 89.
    Thursday Night:Mostly clear, with a low around 59.
    Friday:A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3pm. Sunny, with a high near 93.
    Friday Night:A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60.
    Saturday:A 40 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 72.
    Saturday Night:A 40 percent chance of showers before 9pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 49.
    Sunday:Mostly sunny, with a high near 70.
    Sunday Night partly cloudy, with a low around 51.

Pacnorwest likes this.