The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thanks Sjoerd - yes, they are not something I let my gaurd down on. I see an average ( some years more some less ) of 30 bears a year - either here on our property or in the area. This year so far I've seen 18 so it could be a busy bear year. It is always busy in the spring though. I'm never pleased or content when they want to hang around. I don't live in fear - but I am careful, respectful and cautious.

After some inquiries, I believe this big guy may be one that was allowed to graze by another property's house and barn for over two weeks without being scared away. Apparently it was around so much their dog wasn't even allowed to bark at it. :sete_019:

He has not showed up again. I'll do more perimeter tonight when I take Angus for his walk, and with any luck that should be that. Hopefully he just goes about being a bear somewhere in the bush.

Today will call for a scoop shovel and garbage bag to clean up his piles of plop. Just so there are no accidental land mines ....and Angus doesn't roll in it. :smt078 It is terrible stuff to wash off of your dog. Too bad it wasn't good for the garden.

Jewell, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Melody, I am so glad we do not have bears! Please do not send us any. We have "critters" enough without adding a very large big guy!
    I cleaned house while husband went foraging at the grocery. He came home with fresh corn on the cob, and a lovely cauliflower. Dinner plans changed to accommodate the corn. Tomorrow, cauliflower! Gosh, that man is the king of grocery shopping.

3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I am SO HAPPY to have him instead of your snakes and spiders MG - any day. You keep them and I'll keep mine hahaha.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday afternoon all. Currently 32°C and sunny. It sure was a hot work day today! I decided that it was too hot to cook dinner today, so I stopped at the local 'Subway' and got us all subs for dinner. Now that I have a full belly and dinner is ready for the others, I can relax for a while before my skating club meeting this evening. Hopefully after my meeting it will be cool enough to go out and water the gardens and in the greenhouse. Its too early to be this hot, I'm not prepared!
    Have a great evening all :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Thursday afternoon all. Currently 32°C and sunny. It was a very hot day to be working outside, but I made it through! Tomorrow I will have to do a lot of watering so that my poor plants make it through the weekend! I really hate it when the season starts out so hot ... it makes all my favourite spring blooms burn out quickly. Hopefully we get a break from the heat soon, and some rain. One more day until the weekend!

Jewell, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes Mel, that is the good behaviour— being careful, respectful and cautious.
    When working in Alaska there was a nutcase that showed a piccy he took of a brown bear from ten metres away. Excellent foto.

Apparently he had just walked right up to the bear and snapped a couple of pics with the camera and left. —A brownie! Can you imagine what a stupid thing to do with such a notoriously violent and unpredictable animal. Cor. I have never forgotten that story of that fool.

But Mel, do you know what saddest thing was about this moron — the moron was me.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, Mother Nature looks after her favorites. However, please don't press your luck and try something like that again!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jane— yes ma’am.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Well Sjoerd.....don't you have horseshoes up your behind. hahahaha. I would love to see that photo one day. I had a pretty tough student a number of years ago that had a saying. It was SO funny, and it stuck with me. I passed it on to my kids.

It would go ( in context) ...."How did you get such a great picture of a Grizzly Sjoerd??". reply..." I pulled it out of my magic A$%". I would say a magic and lucky one you have my friend. ;) You must have been in the "invinceable" 20s or 30s. :)

10. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 17°C and overcast with a nice breeze. Yesterday was just stupid hot, but I made it through my work day. Got home and my dog was acting weird, hopefully he was just hot too. I made an appointment with our vet to have a look at him, but its not for several days. I'll keep my eye on him, but I'm starting to wonder if he has hurt himself somehow ... seems to be avoiding stairs and climbing. He was fine on our walk this morning, after I finally convinced him to come down the steps.
    Today, I'm trying to get the rest of the garden in now that the weather is cooler. Oh and get the grass cut.
    Have a great day all :)

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, take a look at Sargent's paws--he may have a cut or something embedded in one or more. Also, gently feel from the shoulder and hip down to his feet. He may have sprained a leg. Tell the vet that this is an emergency, and make room on his schedule to check out your dog! Our Golden/St. Bernard acted the same way as Sargent, and he had cut a pad on his front paw. Wishing the best for you and for Sargent.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I would also vote for “sooner rather than later”, like Jane. I always worry about foreign bodies and cuts.
    Keep us posted please.

Mel— chuckle. I really enjoy your texts.
    The pic will be a long time coming, as it was a dia, that is to say, a slide. I have slide shows and Alaska is one of them. It sits in that group.

i was beyond invincible….I was just idiotic, too dumb to use common sense.

i loved that story and saying. I laughed really hard at that.

Thanks for the great responce.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    Melody Mc., Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Netty sending hugs and cookies to your pup. Here are some nasty’s hiding out in the soil. My doc recommends a tetanus shot every ten years.

Melody Mc., Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 10°C and sunny. So nice to have a cooler morning again!
    Well it seems my best boy Sargent has learned how to 'play' his mother. I left him in the house with my daughter when I cut the grass and he was acting just fine ... running around with her and carrying on. As soon as I came inside he went back to his act. Took him out to our happy place (the garden) and he gradually went back to himself over the course of the day. I guess he was feeling neglected and wanted mom time. Geeze, so much drama haha I did, by the way, call and make an appointment with our vet.
    While out in the garden, I managed to get all the veggies planted. There is one area left so I'm going to get some brussels sprout seedlings from the local nursery. I cut it down to 50ish tomato plants this year, as I still have lots of home canned salsa and tomato sauce. I did plant lots of peppers, beans and cucumbers. And jalapenos as my family has been asking for more 'Cowboy Candy'. All we need now is a good rain.
    Today, I will finally get to the garden at the end of the driveway, as well as all the weed eating that I've been putting off.
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, so glad to hear Sargent was just faking an injury to get attention! Still, it's good that you will be taking him to the vet to be checked. We had a Golden mix who came to us from the shelter with a case of "kennel cough." The vet gave us pills for him, and we buried a pill in a piece of cheese. Well after he was cured, he would come up to me and give a little fake cough, hoping for a piece of cheese (which he got!). Pets are trained, but so are we . . . .
    Relaxing Sunday--just doing a bit of laundry, made the pastry for tonight's quiche, and petted the cat a lot.
    Hope you all have a relaxing day, and that your pets don't try to teach you new tricks!

Melody Mc. likes this.