The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sjoerd sounds like a very buzzzy day with outside sprucing up .

Melody Mc., Oreti and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I enjoyed it. After it was over, the organizer dropped by with a bottle of wine for participating in the clean-up. I do not drink alcohol, but some of our guests do, so it will come in handy at some point.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

This is a big Spring Cleaning session here. Last year I wasn't up to it, and somehow now it feels like the time to finally put the pandemic into the past. More stuff went to the thrift store today. I sent area rugs out to be cleaned. I think I like the floor better without them.

A bit sad to say, three truly massive evergreen trees are gone now. My favorite, a Ponderosa pine, was overhanging the house, with continuous pile up of needles in the rain gutters. Major fire hazard. The other two were Douglas firs that really shouldn't be were they were. One was at risk of falling over a roadway, affecting about 8 households in a cul-de-sac, potentially putting lives at risk if it happened during a blizzard / power outage or during a wildfire. The other could have stayed, but the branches were spreading too wide and low again. So they are gone. The chips will get put to use in the garden.

All of the chain sawing and wood chipping stressed me and Rufus out. We'll get over it.

The new roof is scheduled for May 13-18. I have to keep saying, yes, I really want it to be white. Solar reflectance is so much better, the house will be more comfortable and use less energy. Plus, I can delay replacing the heat pump if the roof helps like it should. I will look nice too, modern and bright, and match the white window trim (most people here like black roofs).

I switched the bird cam to a hummingbird cam. I'll see if I can upload sonething.

4. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Good morning everyone, hope you have a great, relaxing weekend planned.
    We have nothing on the cards as it's May Bank Holidays here , so a long weekend break for everyone. We tend to leave the busy ' going on's' for those who work/ have children and enjoy the quieter less hectic pace of life during holidays.:D

Have a great time.:)

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good morning, all! We are doing some room painting so today will be removing furniture and doing prep work. Since our study is on the "paint list" I'll be off-line for a few days. Our computer will be resting in another room, unplugged and not functioning. Even electronics deserve a rest now and again.
    Be back soon, I hope!

Oreti, Melody Mc., Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 13°C and sunny. Not often its sunny on a Saturday so I'm going to take advantage and get to work in the back gardens!
    When I come back inside, I'll be dirty and tired haha
    Have a great day all :)

7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Happy Sunday everyone. It's been a very busy week with a short window to get some things done that have been neglected the last couple of years. I am having a cup of tea and a wee visit here before back outside. The upper garden was planted yesterday. I'm happy to see that the soil warming/early planting worked very well and the spinach and lettuce are doing well ( pics to follow :) ). I'm removing another section of dirt from the green house today.

If Hubby is up to it, the lower garden will be tilled and seeds planted before two days of rain coming this afternoon. If he is not up to it, then it may be replacing the plastic on the greenhouse roof that has had it's final moment in time. We had an impressive ( for our area) hail storm that finished it off hahaha. I had to patch it last year, but now it needs a replacement or the heat lamps will not be safe to use.

I baked some buns for Branding at a neighbours yesterday. They had a crew of 30 there to help out, and my friend was spread a little thin in the kitchen. On my way back from helping I stopped at my neighbour with the tree and flower nursery. They are putting in a new home after five years of living in a one room cabin that was not meant for winter. She is very excited. I took her some perennials from my garden for her new garden. She handed me one of citronellas as a thank you. I'm so excited! It is huge and beautiful. I was hoping to buy one at her mother's day sale, but she beat me to it.

After tomorrow night's predicted low of -2 and snow, we are in above average highs. Everyone will be planted out. I'll still need frost protection, but it should not be a heavy frost after the third week in May.

I saw my first Momma Bear and baby yesterday. They were eating a deer carcass close to the road when I drove to my neighbours ranch. They are so tiny and fragile looking when they are so wee - you can see why Momma has to be a Momma bear. It was good to see.

My other neighbours ranch has seven bruins grazing in the hay fields - getting their first meals of greens until the rest of the forest greens up. We still don't have leaves, but hopefully soon.

And that's me in a nut shell. :) Going nuts. Angus and I are off to the greenhouse. He likes to lay on his bed and looks around on alert for anything from including ravens and robins - and I'm attached to a shovel. He's acting a bit puppyish these days - and doing well. :heart:

Sjoerd, Daniel W, Frank and 2 others like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Melody What an interesting story. So many different chapters about your busy schedule, with a side of humor.
    Nice to see a window of spring happenings . Thank you for sharing.

Oreti and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Melody Mc. I always love reading your updates!

Here it was gloomy, a good day to complete a big pile of paperwork and bake a cherry pie. I used a frozen filling from last summer, Montmorency cherries.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Oreti, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Netty

Good Monday afternoon all. Currently 16°C and mostly sunny.
    Such a busy day at work today! I was training a new helper for half the day, and the first half of the day I was edging gardens. Finished off with some grass cutting - I like to save sitting on the mower for the end of the day when my feet hurt. Picked 73 spears of asperagus today too!
    Now home and off to the rink! Have a great day all :)

11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Netty hope your new trainee works out for you. It’s a good time to train a helper as the spring starts vamping up into full swing. Good Luck.

I’m grounded for a few days of rest only.
    It’s a ‘Beautiful’ sunny day and the birds are back , nesting, and of course piggin out at the feeders.

Oreti and Netty like this.
  12. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Today i had an electrician come over to do an estimate for several tasks. I don't like doing my own electrical work any more. I also don't like having someone come over to do it, but those are the choices.

This electrician said, he will send an estimate for the improvements and repairs that I want, but also said the junction box needs to be replaced because they tend to overheat and catch fire. I did a web search and, sure enough they do.

https://energytoday.biz/blog/4-outd...ical-panels-that-could-be-hiding-in-your-home

Well, it's always somethin'... if it's not one thing, it's another...

This house will be fully updated one of these days, if it kills me :setc_033:

Oreti, Sjoerd, Clay_22 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oh yes it’s always something.
    We added a sub panel that works in conjunction with the original panel to update the electrical add ons.

Four years ago PGE notified us that they needed to update the electrical wire system from the elec pole to the house connection. After the ‘update’ all the lights in the house were dimming . PGE fried our appliances.
    I ran and tripped all the breakers off called PGE. It caused damage to the stove , trash compactor , to several small appliances , and burned out the diley-bob on the frig.

It turned out PGE hired independent contractors that are not affiliated with PGE to update the house connection. PGE then sent out a PGE worker to fix the update with an update.
    It’s always something …all right …all right… all right… :headscratch: :sulk: :smt013

Then 2 years later the tree incident topping of my trees on our property. Rare trees are permanently damaged. Appliances can be replaced. One more strike and they are ‘Out’.

Oreti, Sjoerd and Clay_22 like this.
  14. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

A day like this makes me want to walk out the very front door at work I'm standing at and enjoy this afternoon. But I guess I'll turn around and be an adult lol
    0507241407-1.jpg

Oreti, Daniel W, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  15. Netty

Good Wednesday afternoon all. Currently 12°C and overcast with passing rain showers.
    Worked my butt off again today, and I'm trying hard to stay awake long enough to get my kid to the rink.
    Last night I thought I would lay in my bed and watch some garden videos on you tube. My alarm woke me up at 4:30 this morning - the laptop was still on my lap and my phone as well and both were dead. I was still sitting propped up in bed and didn't even wake up all night haha I have a feeling I'm that tired again so I won't try to watch videos tonight.
    Have a great day all :)