The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Yesterday bought some mulch. Mulched one flower bed. Planted Honeydew Cantaloupe seedlings. All that's left is prepare and plant watermelon seedlings and more mulching.

Jewell, Oreti and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel I bet your soooo glad the roof is complete. Nothing like Big Foot stomping on the roof for days… and the house and landscaping looks Fantabulous…:setf_016:

Jewell, Oreti and Sjoerd like this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well finally it has stopped raining! It rained most of the day yesterday--torrents, not a gentle rain. And we have electricity! Starting Wednesday night and through yesterday, we had no electricity for 14 of 22 hours. The worst was yesterday with the electric going off at 3 p.m. and not coming back on until 8:30 p.m. Living in a third world country (Texas) ain't easy!
    Good news is two bell peppers and a half dozen cherry tomatoes from the garden, the hens' coop is dry, and the cat spent the storm days inside so we didn't worry about her.
    Husband has been painting the guest bedroom today, and tomorrow I'm going to make French bread, trusting that the electric will be on to heat up the oven!

Jewell, Oreti, Sjoerd and 3 others like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Marlin thanks for the update on how your doin and coping with weather storms.The news on the storms looks catastrophic with trees down everywhere and no power for million in the heat . Stay safe.
    Nice to get inside rooms painted , always makes the area look fresh and clean.

Jewell, Daniel W, Oreti and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for updating us, Marlin. You have had it pretty rough there. I have to say, I don’t really think about that kind of wet weather in Texas. It is worrisome.

Jewell, Daniel W, Oreti and 1 other person like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Electricity can be very handy, sometimes :stew1:

Oreti and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Oh, Pac, what a relief! Not just Bigfoot - somebody was running around barking like crazy, all day long. I am a quiet-living guy. Plus the other inconveniences and hassles.

But it's done! I thought about this for a long time, and weighed the pros and cons and various recommendations and opinions. It was time to do it, before Summer is under way.

Jewell, Oreti, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 11°C and mostly cloudy.
    Went for my dog walk, and then did a walk around the yard. Had the dog loose chasing bunnies, but they are just too quick for him and they always run to the safety of being under something he doesn't fit under ... the deck, the shed, the wood shed, the back porch. I've tried getting rid of all the things they can hide in, but they are able to get under everything! My veggie garden is surrounded by corn crib fencing, with 2X4 inch rectangles. I wouldn't have believed a full grown bunny can fit though that size if I hadn't seen it myself! Not to mention all the young ones fit through with ease. I'm scared to plant the rest of my veggies for fear they will get eaten. I may try putting chicken wire around the bottom of the fence and see if that keeps them out. I'm at my wits end with these horrible plant eating creatures!!
    Looked at all my gardens, and there is so much to do I felt completely overwhelmed today sigh Guess I'll start by cutting the grass and hopefully that will get me inspired.
    Have a great day all :)

Jewell, Oreti, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  9. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Working then some weeding mulching etc later today.

Oreti, Sjoerd, Daniel W and 1 other person like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Netty it’s incredibly frustrating when wild creatures are a constant threat to all your hard work. Do you have any cats? They are a great help keeping rabbits, small creature's at bay. My cat took out a rabbit almost as big as he is.. left it on the front porch.

Jewell, Oreti, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  11. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Mostly rainy. No leaks so far :fingerscrossed:.

Did some walk-around in the yard and garden. I'm pretty happy with a lot of it. Tried not to look at "this needs to be done" too much. It will happen. I'll also continue down-sizing and working down the things that have a poor work/joy ratio. Try to, anyway.

Might be time to resume working on a quilt. I've missed that lately.

Jewell, Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Clay— That mulching will be so helpful later on in the season, I believe. Please keep us posted on your melons and cantaloupes.

Pac— what a cat you have! Thoughtful of it to drop it off for you.

Daniel, I have oodles of to-do’s as well. It looks daunting and overwhelming it makes me feel that I am really up against it this year.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    Pacnorwest, Oreti and Daniel W like this.
  13. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Hi everyone, I came over feeling completely exhausted today so I haven't done anything out in the garden.

I've been working non stop as the garden chores are never ending . It can get to you and ,as already said, become worrying overwhelmingly at this time is of year as the 'To Do' list of outstanding jobs gets longer and longer. @netty . , @Daniel W and @Sjoerd listen to what your bodies are trying to tell you....rest up and take a well earned break.....before you break. If that happens then nothing will get done anyway, so you have nothing to lose by taking a day off every now and then.
    Take care of yourselves.

Jewell, Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oreti— taking your advice and taking a day off to go and visit a cousin tomorrow.

Jewell, Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  15. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

:D:like:....have a great time @Sjoerd .

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.