The Knife Drawer- So you don't get the point :-)

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Jerry Sullivan, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Interesting that you should mention the sharp knife in the dishwater Koszta. I was first 'allowed' to wash dishes when I was about 6, maybe 7. There were rules and regulations. In each stage of washing you knew what was in the dishwater, first was anything made of glass, worst case you broke a glass. If that happened the water was drained and the sink cleaned out. Next were the knives forks and spoons with special attention to knives, again you knew what was in the water. Dishes and bowls were next, no chance of a heavy bowl breaking a glass since they were already done. No cut fingers, knives were done. Pots and pans were last, they often used the last of the soap cutting the grease. I have followed the same rules for 60 years. It is rare that anything happens. A set of glasses were recently retired after 25 years of service, I saw one on e-bay for $30. Yikes!!

Jerry

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jerry... I too still follow the "order" to wash dishes that I was taught as a youngster.
    Put a bit of dish soap and water in the pots & pans and set aside to soak if needed.
    Start with the glasses. Then you could put silverware/utensils in the water to soak... but NEVER knives. Then wash plates & bowls, then silverware and after that you could wash the knives, but never put them in them in the sink. And finally the pots & pans.
    And doing the dishes didn't stop there... it also meant wiping off the stove and counters. And then sweeping and mopping (okay... I don't this last part every time).

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I am fanatical about my knives. I have MY knives, a full set my husband gave me about 20 years ago (he is very confident of my love and regard to give me several sharp instruments) and the cheap knives that I take on cooking demonstrations and let other people use.
    There are three things every kitchen needs: a good set of knives, a good cookbook, and a frying pan. And now the fourth--one of Jerry's knife drawers!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My knives get set to the back or side of the sink, then they get washed at the end. Don't put the knives in the dishwasher...but every now and then, someone seems to put one in there. grrrrr!

Advertisement
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I need a new sharpening steel for the kitchen. I already have . Any good quality brands I should consider? I already have a honing steel.

6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Very impressive, that takes some skill.

We "just chuck stuff in ours."

PA080066.JPG

Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I have one knife drawer and all the knives get thrown in. There is a tray and the steak knives etc got put in there separately and never go in the dishwasher.