The loving journey of a simple "very heavy" planter

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Melody Mc., May 10, 2022.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

About 8 years ago was a difficult time. Life seems to ebb and flow like that. This one involved a lot of loss. My best friend, my Dad, both of our loved dogs within 2 months of each other, kids moving out and moving on, and another close friend. All within twelve months.

Before my BF passed, we went to visit her. She was between radiation treatments for an agressive invasive brain cancer. She was an executive in a provicial corporation and a very smart cookie, so the blow was especially tough. She asked me to build her an English Garden, all in white, on her balcony of her condo.

We went and picked out pots, plants and everything beautiful. We lugged the heaviest pot in the entire world up to her condo balcony. We ran out of bagged dirt and looted from the city boardwalk garden outside of her condo. We built a little bit of beauty and nature for her, and for her remaining few months.

She asked to have her ashes here, in the memory garden that has ever expanded with loved ones and loved pets. My Dad included.

And from her family, the only thing that I asked for was her planter. Her pot. :)

Those beautiful people packed this heavy thing up here, in a 7 hour car ride. We have moved it up and down, back and forth so many times.

Seeing @Doghouse Riley 's pots and beautiful roses gave me an idea that my family is very pleased with.

Auntie's Pot now lives on the deck, and every year will home the miniature rose bush that I am graced with in the spring. It's a perfect fit, for a perfect friend, and a perfect flower that shines as brilliantly as it can for as long as it can.

Thank you DHR. Sometimes we never know how much impact the slightest touch can have.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A touching posting.

Cayuga Morning and Melody Mc. like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A fitting legacy to your friend Melody.

Cayuga Morning and Melody Mc. like this.
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I forgot the picture. :) Although a little beaten up from being packed around so much, the rose bush does fit it nicely. It will be an annual of course, but it pleases us nonetheless. Wouldn't have thought of it without seeing other's pots with roses. :)

IMG_1817.JPG

Advertisement
  6. eileen

Auntie's Pot looks great - the perfect foil for the miniature rose bush. You must show us another pic when the rose blooms in it.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Such a touching story. I'm all mush now. I love it! And I love Auntie's Pot too.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This rose has been amazing. I'm sure it is the pot and the love that has kept it growing.

For a miniature rose as a Valentine's gift, it has bloomed three times since. Each time the rose is taller and the blooms larger. It definitely will be something I do every year ( also then Auntie's Pot can remain on the porch and not be wrangled off to the shed. It is so heavy hahaha)

Some pictures for you @eileen :)
    DSCN9087.JPG

DSCN9161.JPG

DSCN9194.JPG

DSCN9304.JPG

DSCN9308.JPG

9. eileen

Well the miniature rose certainly seems to be very happy in your Aunties pot Melody. I'm sure she would approve of your choice too as it's a beauty. :)

Melody Mc. likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That pot is a humdinger! A fitting place for your good friend. The rose is beautiful too.

eileen, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.