The Night Visitor

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Doghouse Riley, May 7, 2023.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

We had another visit by a hedgehog last night.
    I'd put one of the cameras facing the hedgehog house.
    There's a video of it going from right to left, probably on its way to the birds' feeding tray and this still of it, looking into the house. It's not very clear.

[​IMG]

I built the fence so there were only two ways something as big as a hedgehog could get through it and it found one of them.
    I'd put a small plant saucer of pellets in front of the house and this had been tipped up, so paws must have been on the rim.

We're going to leave things as they are for now. We'll let it come and go as it pleases as it's obviously an adult and possibly "street-wise." There may be others.
    Unlike 'arry, who was a baby when I rescued him and severely dehydrated. We always considered him, "not a full shilling," so we kept him in the garden for his own protection. If he were unhappy, there would be evidence of him trying to dig his way out. There was never any.
    I was still getting stick about that on another message board, a few days ago. So I dumped the board. I don't have to put up with that.

I'll put some extra suet pellets in the bird feeder each night when it gets dark.

Willowisp0801, Frank, Jewell and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Doghouse Riley

Checked the cameras this morning.
    The one facing the hedgehog house was activated, but recorded nothing. But that can happen if something is "too quick for it."
    But the one near the back fence caught this.

[​IMG]

This seems smaller than the one caught earlier in the week.

[​IMG]

It might be an optical illusion, or there might be two of them.

Cayuga Morning, Logan, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Ohhhhhhhh.....maybe there are two!.... This is so exciting DHR. I'm very happy for you. I'm sure it won't take them long to find all of the safe and sheltered spots you have provided. Do you ever catch of a photo of them using the little hedgehog door entranceway to the garden?

5. Doghouse Riley

Thanks for that.

I might try it, but I've only one short and one long cable. Presently the long one is on the camera trained on the house.
    I'll have to swop them around.

Logan, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Doghouse Riley

We've a new tenant!
    The camera opposite the house, picked up a lot of videos and still images of a very industrious hedgehog moving in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was backwards and forwards with dry euonymus leaves gathered from those that fall on the rockery six feet away, obviously the amount of hay I'd put in there a couple of months ago was insufficient, I'll leave some more out tonight if it's dry.

It was working away from 4.00 am. The last image was just after six when it disappeared inside the house.

I'll put the hedgehog feeder out again on the patio.

Logan, Jewell, Melody Mc. and 2 others like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ahh Riley, this news and show really make me feel good. I am happy for you. I always enjoy seeing your hedgehog stories and pics. I quite like these beasts. Of course I liked this posting, but mate, I would give you ten likes if I could.

A number of years ago now I made inquiries at the National Hedgehog Society about acquiring one for our lottie. When they heard about the fencing they were not keen. I offered to make openings in the fence for them but alas. I knew they need a large foraging area, but our complex is enormous. They dug their heels in, sadly.

You see, they take-in injured hedgehogs and then give them away to individuals or re-wild them into our forests. I would have thought that a large allotment complex would be just the right place.

I found it ironic that I discovered one on our complex a couple of years ago. Apparently he discovered us all on his own.

Anyway, thank you for your periodic hedgehog show-and-tell’s.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Logan, Jewell, Melody Mc. and 2 others like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This is such wonderful news DHR. :) My face hurts from smiling for you. Hey.....what if you have little hedgehog babies wandering around soon?! hahahaha. It is spring. Could she be packing extra stuff in for nesting? Wouldn't that be something. An 'Arrietta??

Logan, Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Doghouse Riley

Very little activity around the hedgehog house last night. It was raining and I guess she didn't want to be out and then dragging wet stuff back into her nest.
    The extension cable I ordered for one of the cameras arrived today, so I was able to set it up opposite the doorway in the fence so we can see any comings and goings.

Just a bit of broom stale some strong garden wire a few screws and a couple of nuts.

[​IMG]

A made a cover for it out of an ice cream carton lid.

[​IMG]

It just swings round when I want to put the card in or take it out.

[​IMG]

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good work, Riley.
    When you mention “broom stale” , what do you mean with that? Stale?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  11. Doghouse Riley

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The word caught my eye.
    We have a word, steel. The spelling is different but the pronunciation is the same. Further, the meaning is essentially the same. So broom stale is here, bezemsteel. Interesting, that.

Logan, Jewell and Doghouse Riley like this.
  13. Doghouse Riley

The camera in its new position opposite the doorway in the fence, recorded no movement through it.

[​IMG]

However, the one opposite the hedgehog house did.

Hettie made only one appearance around 10.00 pm.

[​IMG]

On her way to the little food bowl on her "patio." for some semi-moist hedgehog pellets.

[​IMG]

There's some unwanted hay in front of the house. I'll quietly sweep that away later today.

The fact that she didn't come out other than just the once, suggests she may possibly, be preparing to be a mum.

Logan, Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Fun to see. The picture quality is good. :)

Logan, Pacnorwest and Doghouse Riley like this.
  15. Doghouse Riley

I ought to change the title to "The Night Visitors."

"> [​IMG]

♫ There's gonna be a showdown! ♫

Well not really..... the camera picked up a lot of snuffling by the one on the left as it backed away, but the other one wasn't aggressive, in fact not taking a lot of notice.

The first image last night outside the house was around 10.15pm.

This one by the doorway in the fence was at 10.16 pm, so this must be the second one.

My wife has suggested we put the other house out down at the bottom of the garden. I'll have to have a think about that.

[​IMG]

Logan, Frank, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  16. Doghouse Riley

Well.."I wasn't allowed much thinking time, before a decision was made."
    The second house is in position in the back corner of the garden almost out of sight.

[​IMG]

It's up on two bricks so clear of the ground and there's a bit of York stone in front of the entrance for use as a step. This house has a lot of insulation, as it was a "winter house." So I've drilled a few half inch ventilation holes at the top of the side of the house, protected by the roof overhang. There's plenty of fresh hay in it.

I've put a couple of bricks on top of it to prevent foxes trying to get in it, should they want to try.
    I've repositioned the camera to cover the entrance.

I'm not going to leave any food outside it until it gets a permanent occupier, if at all.
    I left a saucer with some cat food outside Hettie's house last night, but neither hedgehog touched it, so I won't bother again. I'll just stick to dry and semi-moist hedgehog and suet pellets.

[​IMG]

Willowisp0801, Logan, Jewell and 2 others like this.