The rules have changed again?

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by Netty, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I noticed this 7 years ago and sent a letter to Ball. I found an older, but new, lid I had shoved in a newer box of lids when we moved. You would not believe the difference in the thickness of the sealing ring! The old one is 2 to 2 1/2 times thicker than the new ones. I never received an answer from Ball. I ordered some tattler lids and rings (they are more expensive) this year but haven't used them yet. I plan on ordering a lot more this winter. They aren't as convenient to use as they are more like the old, old jars that had the glass lid and separate rubber sealing ring but the ring can be used more than once so in the long run the price would even out. Maybe we should all get together on a certain day and call Ball/Kerr to complain, then wait a few days and do it again until we ge some answers.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have noticed the new rules. So here is something that happened to me.

I now have only new lids. Nothing from previous years. I have been soaking my lids in boiled water for about 5 minutes just because I wanted to get the rubber soft. I couldn't stand not doing that. I don't have a problem with the disinfecting part for I have always wondered why we boiled our jars when the food had to reach that certain temp to kill junk. Why wouldn't that kill the junk on the jar?

In all the years that I have been canning I have only had about 2 lids not seal. This last few weeks I have had about 8 not seal. Now I am just washing the lids and not putting them in water anymore.

BTW, I always use big names lids.

Next year they will probably correct their manufacturing mistake and tell is to boil our lids again. :D

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The "new" way is the way I have always canned. For the reason they listed as it was. What was all the extra work for? we had clean drinking water, clean jars, clean lids... nothing was covered on slime, mold or gunk to start with and then it was boiled in the canner or pressure cooker...how could that old method be any less dangerous than the way I was doing it. Quite frankly, I don't have room on my stove for everything when I am canning.

2ofus... I have tattler flats and rubbers. I use them off and on. I find they don't seal as well as metal flats. I just seem to have way too many jars come out of the canners and never sealed. that is a waste of time, especially if I am pressure canning. Thats the pits! Don't tighten the rings terribly tight. Finger tip tight is all they need. good luck!

Advertisement
  6. Netty

I checked the boxes of Bernardin lids that I have bought this year. THey all still say to "soak in very hot, not boiling, water. I also notice they say "do not re-tighten lids after processing", which is something I have been doing. Does anyone know why we shouldn't re-tighten the rings? Also wondering about storage ... should we be taking the rings off? And what about stacking jars on top of one another?

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have always read to NOT tighten the rings after canning. I don't do it and if it didn't seal while in the canner tightening it won't make it seal either. If it is water bath canning.. I have no idea, but it still doesn't make it seal if it isn't going to... or maybe a safety issue. Will the jar "explode" while touching it whole it is that hot? I have no idea, but am not taking any chances of getting scalded. I remove the rings and wash them and the jars before putting them in the pantry and store the rings in a drawer. I do not stack jars unless there is a solid surface of some kind between the layers (such as a thin board). I have no need to tip and break all my hard work with an accident. if they are in boxes stacked I see no reason to not stack them, though.

8. Netty

I leave my jars on a cooling rack on the counter until the have cooled completely. So far, all my jars have sealed. I wipe the jars when they are cool and put them in the pantry, but I end up tightening the rings before I put them away. Im wondering if I should be removing the rings instead?

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Keeping the rings on the jars have no effect on the sealing of the jar or length it will stay sealed. They will rust if the humidity is high, too, making them harder to remove when you take them off. I don't have enough rings to leave them on my jars, either. If they are all off at the same time then they are all put away and are in the same spot for canning next season. Otherwise, if I left them on I would be having piles of them in the drawer or on the counter in a box cluttering it up even more than it already is. I would running down the steps to put them away one at a time... not my style.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you ladies have been canning your food supply for years and in those years there have been no illnesses or deaths as a result of someone eating your home canned food, why are you questioning your way of canning?

I use Ball jars, seals and rings and follow the original instructions that came with the bottles of Pectin in 1971. Since I have been making jelly and jams for 43 years, pickles for almost 30 years and I haven't killed anyone..... I don't think I will be changing my routine.
    If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.

marlingardener likes this.
  11. waretrop

We have sex offender lists and fire bug lists but did you know we have poisoning lists?

I met a young woman a week ago who got put on this list. Twenty years ago she fed her new husband something and he got food poisoning of some kind.

They came in and did their investigations and proved what happened. They ruled it an accident not attempted murder. He lived through it.

Now she is on this list for life. She doesn't can or freeze anymore. She buys everything every few days and follows all the new rules for handling food. She has a very good reason for being extreme.

Makes me think hard about what I am doing. I always keep logical about preserving foods. Sometimes the "powers that may be" go overboard for their own protection also.

Carolyn???? Why don't you have extra jar rings???? Need some?????

12. Netty

I am new this year to canning Toni, so I guess I just want to make sure I am doing it 'right'.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks for the offer Barb, but I have dozens of jars for canning. I just have no need for the same amount of rings since I take them off anyway. I can buy them in bulk, but it is just one more thing to take up premium space. I try to keep it to a minimum if I can. I can always go next door and borrow from my MIL, though.

14. waretrop

NETTY, I know allot of people tighten the bands after taking them out of the canner. I agree with Carolyn. You should not do that. It is really best to take the bands off after jars have cooled. Wash jars and bands and dry completely before you put them away. There may be acid or corrosive food films on the rings that will rust your rings.

They are about $12 a dozen at Walmart. Take care of them. I have 2 large trash bags packed full of them stored away. I probably will never use them again. I have about 80 of both sizes in my pantry. That is the most I could use in any combination of my canning pots and my burners that I could use.