The Spud Ritual

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sj--I think the min-tilling will work in two of our raised beds. But the other soil still has to much clay in it. Will have to search around and see if we can find any good poo like you have.

Wow Droopy. I wish we could plant our potatoes around May 1st. Ours won't be in the ground until late May. Maybe the middle of May if the weather warms up.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is great 2T that you can min-till in at least two beds. As for the clay, you can change that by working-in compost that hasn't completely finished composting...the idea is to mix this in and the stick and stem bits that have not composted will give the clay "structure". If you can do this to some degree every year your hard clay will change in to some pretty rich and loose ground.. It won't be easy, but boy, oh boy will you ever have some fertile ground once it is right.

Anyhow, good luck with your min-tilling trial.

3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Thank you SJ--for the last 2 years we have been putting in chopped up leaves into our beds for compost in the fall. That has helped the soil to be more workable. But we need to do some major amending in two of the beds. Boy, we just can't seem to shake this cold weather. Todays high will be only 36 degrees and we have been having some light snow flurries. :(

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Brrrrrrrrrrrr....Those temps there make my lips vibrate and go blue. BBBBBBBBBrrrr.

I can see what you folks are doing. It will all help in getting some kind of structure in your ground. You can get it right, but it is not a condition that is quickly corrected. I may take a few years. Adding leaves, broken-up dried plant stems and all that sort of thing will work really well, along with adding manure and compost. Everything together will change things for you in time.

I put quite a lot of stuff on my plots every year, upping the soil level and increasing the structure. It is a love of labour for me and of basic importance to me, as soil is everything-- It determines one's level of success in the garden, I have found.

Advertisement
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sj-continuing with our weather report for today. The high this morning was 20 degrees. Brrrrrrrr is only one word I would use for this weather. The other words I can't put in a post without it being censored.
    I wish my hubby was more industrious when it comes to the gardens. He doesn't think that they need much help in producing crops. Maybe a little fertilizer. I usually end up giving them more TLC. Oh well. Whats a body to do.o_O

Growingpains likes this.
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, as usual, your methods for farming intrigue me. I intend to try the Min-till idea for some areas now that I've seen you do it. Our potatoes are already in the earth, since Good Friday. I did them in hills as that worked very well in 2015.

I like that you refer to your Bride, yet we never see her. :heart:

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for the comments GP--Good to hear that your taters are already in the ground. I'll bet that you have some harvested before me. Before the season is over mine will be in hills as well...I just earth them up a little bit at the time.

Hahaha...Yeah, my bride is shy, just like me. We do a lot of work in the garden together...and a lot separately. She has the last word over all things veggie and I have the last word over all things flowery. We consult each other for ideas and work on each other's sections...but when a final decision must be made and we cannot agree...then the "Last Word Plan" kicks in. The result is that we do not argue about techniques or when to's. hahaha.

8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

So jealous of your soil...it is really rich just by the look!! Beautifully laid out!! The best part for me were the earthworms...that let's me know that the soil is great and/or in good hands!!!

9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Keeping an agreement makes a content marriage, Sjoerd, as you have discovered.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks HUMMER--I appreciate your comments. I am really proud of my soil because I work so hard on it every year. I constantly do things to keep it tidy and I enrich it just as soon as a crop has been harvested. I really like seeing the presence of earthworms too...and there were some real granddaddy's in there. I am pretty sure that they are there because of the thick winter mulch blanket that I cover it with over the winter months.

Too right, GROWING--Do you come out of the east, by any chance?? You are so wise.:)

hummerbum and marlingardener like this.
  11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, by "Out of the east", I assume you mean an Oriental country? I originat from the southern part of the USA and migrated to the north. If I have wisdom, it comes from parents who were unwealthy and used common sense. I appreciate your assessment of my brain power. :D

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Actually I was referring to the "three wise men from the east" that appeared in Bethlehem around Christmas time. That is why I asked if you came out of the east.

I was joking about that out of the east thing, but I am dead serious about you being a smart cookie. I think it shows through in your posts.

What part of the southern states did you come from? I have travelled there...and there are several lovely and interesting states that I enjoyed visiting.

Growingpains likes this.
  13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, I was born in the mountainous region of North Carolina, grew up in the hills of South Carolina, moved to Michigan in 1955 and I think all three are beautiful places to live.
    Thanks for the compliment. I try to put my best foot forward. LOL

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ahhh the Carolinas. I remember those two states. Quite different, as I recall. when I think of these two states I think of the mountains of North Carolina and how beautiful they were....the coastal portion was also stunning.
    South Carolina is different...I think of swamps and live oaks.

I reckon that your impressions may be a little different, but that's what I recall.

The thing with putting your best foot forward is that if done in haste, you could loose the glass slipper and the carriage may turn back into that pumpkin....oh dear.

Growingpains likes this.
  15. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Yes Sjoerd, South Carolina does have some swampy areas, but the north west corner, where I grew up, has mountains and lovely hills. In fact, the year before Mama died, Daddy was the man who watched for forest fires from a tower atop the highest mountain in South Carolina. Sassafras Mountain. How sweet were those days.

Sjoerd likes this.