The Swans Are Back

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sjoerd, May 12, 2009.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A couple of days ago I was sitting on the little central patio having tea and I heard a funny sound behind me in the little canal. When I went to investigate, I saw that it was two swans.

Every year swans come to our gardening complex to raise their young. They are cruising the canals here now checking out the various places that they could build a nest, and of course eating along the way.

I took a few pics because these graceful birds looked so lovely.

[​IMG]
    The birds do not travel far from eachother. Thery are not yet aggressive, but the male always positions himself between me and the female as he constantly keeps an eye on me.
    Those swans are lovely singly or together.
    [​IMG]
    I stood and watched then for quite a while..they were so interesting, and when they became used to my presence, they went about their business.
    The canal water is very clear at the moment; so clear in fact, that you can easily see their heads as they forage underwater.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wonder if it's the same pair as last year? Swans are such graceful and beautiful birds. I hope they will rear another brood near you so that we can see more cygnets again. Oh I do hope so. :-D

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Sjoerd, those are so lovely. I have never seen them but in pictures. They are so lovely and graceful. Thank you for sharing them with us.

5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

how pretty. I have to agree also, they are very graceful birds. I do hope they raise some little ones so we can see them later.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I think they are the most beautiful bird I ever watched in the water.They were at Hilltop Lakes near here and I did love to see them out being there graceful selves.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I love your swans! :D I like to watch swans too, but I do not like to be chased by them. The hissing they make to scare me is rather scaring.

8. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

You are so fortunate Sjoerd to have such beautiful birds take up residence near you. Stunning photos!

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks you for your comments. IO saw those swans sitting together on the banks of the canal just outside our gardening complex. They may be making plans for a nest.
    Eileen--I don't know for sure if they are the same ones as last year...they could well be--or perhaps their offspring.
    I know what you mean about that 'hissing', Droopy. I don't like it either, but I refuse to be bullied by them. I just stand my ground when they start that business.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Such beautiful birds Sjoerd. Thanks for sharing them with us :)

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I have never seen baby swans -- that would be a treat, even if only in photos, vicariously through Sjoerd... fingers crossed.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Miss Beans....if you can't wait until these two beauties have their offspring you can watch this little film that I posted some time ago:

http://www.gardenstew.com/viewtopic.php ... ight=swans

Just scroll down a little and double click on the pic of the swan.
    I hope that you like it.

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I'm not sure why I wasn't able to see the video... It seemed poised to play but then just went blank... I will have to try again tomorrow -- maybe I need to update something in my computer. Darn! I really wanted to see it!

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah Daisy...I tried it and it didn't work for me either this morning. I shall try and load it again. Wait one, please.

Ok It looks like there is a problem with the Photobucket's server. It could al;so have something to do with the problem that Frank is having at the moment with the GardenStew website.

I was going to send you the link via a PM...but if the server is down, it would not help.
    I guess that we will just have to wait a bit and try later.
    Fingers crossed that the problem will soon be rectified.

15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Yes, something to look forward to. I did see still photos of the babies in another of your posts. The papa swan guarding the rear -- they are fiercely family oriented.

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello Miss Daisy-- I tried the link to the little film this morning and it worked for me. I hope that it will work for you too.
    If it doesn't, I will try and post another swan film...I have several.