The trash of the gardener is the treasure of our less thought of friends.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Beeker, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

If those of us that had a lousy growing season for our veggies last year learned anything from the mess the weather made of our gardens it was this reminder: one man's trash is another man's treasure. I mean this not in the sense we learned growing up, but in the sense that as humans attempting to grow veggies, it was a terrible growing season, but for wild nature, it was a great season.
    One thing I learned from the supposed failure of last year was to let nature take its course. The ideal season is always that our gardens benefit ourselves and also nature, but if we end up losing out, we can always take a hands-off approach to make sure nature doesn't have to.

As I watched my lettuce and carrots bolt early and then the rest of the veggie section of my garden stunt, the weed section thrived, as it always does. This time the mugwort took hold. Even if only to see something grow, I allowed the carrots and lettuce to continue with their flowers. I could at least get a harvest of seeds. I watched as the bracanoid wasps spent all daylight hours visiting the flowers. I allowed the mugwort to reach its full potential to learn what pollinators would partake. To my dismay, not many, if any, were interested. But, I held back the urge to pull them. I was determined to not touch anything.
    Then, as the autumn took hold, I pulled everything and prepped the beds for the coming spring.
    I had hopes...

As spring came I found that the bumbles loved the pile of dried weeds and mugwort for a nesting site as well as the tufts of dried grass dropping through the folded bottom section of deer fence.
    Perhaps the harvest was not much for us last year, but with the carrots and lettuce bolting early, there was a wonderful variety of flowers available to beneficial insects that will most likely be back this season to support our attempts. (Now for some inspired poetry) There will be abundant arachnids, bountiful bees and copious carabids acting as sentinels ready to spar against any enemies that will attempt to attack our gardens. (How'd ya like that? :D )
    I'm strongly considering letting more lettuce and carrots bolt each year, not just for seeds, but to keep those beneficial wasps coming around!

Yes, there is a silver lining to the clouds of last year and if, in the future, you find the season appears to be against you, as they say, take the lemons and make lemonade. Let nature take its course and have it back while you take a rest and watch what benefits can be reaped by letting it go for a season.
    I admit I was frustrated (as I'm sure you read in my complaining posts of last year), but now I am thrilled to see what wonders and beauties are developing from what I thought was disaster.

Whether it be to the benefit of humans or to wild nature (hopefully to both), cheers to all and all the best for a successful gardening season!

Zigs, Cayuga Morning, Tetters and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

You are in New England states,,, I am wondering what lettuce you are planting ? I am in NE Texas where it is hot as Hades and my lettuce lasts half the growing season before bolting !

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Andrew Marvell (March 31, 1621–August 18, 1678) was an English poet who was best known during his lifetime for the political slant to his writing. This poem is from a series of related work about a mower, who laments the impact that humans have had on the environment and cautions readers to protect nature.

Excerpt:

"Luxurious man, to bring his vice in use,
    Did after him the world seduce,
    And from the fields the flowers and plants allure,
    Where nature was most plain and pure.

Stolen as usual with glee from the internet because I am not very smart.

5. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

@mart - It was a leaf lettuce, I think one of the cos varieties. They are heirloom seeds I get from Michigan, so maybe that has something to do with it. I should get seeds that can handle hot weather.

@Dirtmechanic - Agreed. My observation is that the entire human race is most easily seduced by one thing: convenience. Convenience always leads to the decline of our spiritual, mental and physical health; slowly but surely.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

@Beeker, I thought your initial post was beautifully composed and so well worth reading. The seasons can so often prove to be difficult and frustrating for various reasons.
    Our place this year is proving to be so dry, and at the start of the summer there is hardly any rainwater in the barrels. The big trees are sucking up the moisture from the flower beds nearby, and as there have been less people about on the site here, the wildlife has increased by a significant margin. We have dozens of rabbits and partridge & pheasants helping themselves to whatever they fancy, and visiting ducks and moorhens vying for space in the little pond, which we have had to top up with tap water to keep them happy. We are having to protect the few veggie plants we have the best way we can, and have crates in the back porch with salad stuff growing, and a few broccoli plants safely protected.
    Your thoughts are helpful to say the least. Thanks.

Beeker and marlingardener like this.
  7. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

@Tetters - Thank you for your compliments. They are much appreciated.

And...
    UPDATE!!!
    I wish I had my camera with me!!!!!
    Today, the weather was perfect! Sunshine, a few clouds, a cool breeze. I finally had the chance to go for a walk on my lunch break. The crab-apple trees are in bloom and smell wonderful. As I headed back to the office, I took a detour so I could walk under their limbs and enjoy the sent washing over me. As I looked up along the branches, I saw what had to be hundreds of bees of every variety busily visiting every blossom they could; big, small, fat, skinny, furry, shiney... It was amazing.
    Sorry, no camera.

Tetters and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Wear a sprig of Mugwort in your belt on midsummer's day, then throw it on the fire in the evening. All your ills for the next year will go up with the smoke :)

9. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

o_O ....Yeah, right !? :rolleyes:

10. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

11. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I tried to get some videos and pictures of the bees, but the camera couldn't pick it up well enough. If I get a chance, I'll work on getting some close-up still shots of different bees in the blossoms.
    Seeing so many different bees makes me want to fill my yard with crab apple trees and creeping charlie!

Sjoerd likes this.