There comes a time...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Every once and awhile your clothes wear-out. So then chaps, we headed out into the country to visit this great store where you can find all kinds of handy things that have to do with farming/gardening. One of the things I was looking for was a new pair of working trousers. Do you know the kind that has "pockets" on the knees where one can insert especially made rubber knee pads?
    zzz5.jpg

These knee pads have really sort of made me addicted to them. They are so comfortable to work with. The cloth is tough and my last pair has lasted me eight or nine years.

Well, you know, when one goes to this sort of store...one looks around too, he is not simply goal focused. :setf_004:
    We had a small list of things that we needed, so we first got those...then we nosed-around, walking all the aisles off.

We came by the tools and what do you think that we came to...a "Dutch hoe"! It is ironic, but a Dutch hoe is not at all common here. I had a look at the example that they had in the shop and saw that it was not expertly made...it was no Sneeboer; however, the price (28 euro's) pulled me over the line. Pulled me over the line a little too easily, my Bride said. If you think about it though, if this tool wears out prematurely, the cost was so low that we could afford to get a new one should we ever see one again. The normal price for Sneeboer tools can be shocking.

Here he is then:
    zzz4a.jpg

And then again in Nettie's garden:
    zzz4.jpg

You can see the difference in Nettie's soil and ours can't you. That soil is very "worn-out". It has a sort of almost sandy nature and really requires some compost ...something to give it structure and nourishment.

At any rate, we were there to so some schoffeling and that is what we did. It was great to try this back and forth schoffel a try. I really liked how it cut weeds going as well as on the back stroke. The sort of stirrup on the sides keeps one from cutting off prized plants while weeding. That is a good safety feature.

My Bride has a similar but different schoffel which she really likes and I found myself using from time to time; so this inexpensive implement was an opportunity for me to have fun too. This will be great to use and safer as well.

Logan, Jewell, Dirtmechanic and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I have a similar tool. I will post a picture of it.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

It is very annoying when one's clothes wear out. The shirt I have on is only 20 years old and the cuffs are going. They do not make things like they used to.

Logan, Sjoerd, carolyn and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

P & S, you guys are crazy! 8 or 9 year old pants, 20 year old shirts! Sheeesh! Don't let muy husband hearing you talking!

That hoe looks great SJ. I like the coming & going feature. The dutch hoe I have only goes one way but it has been great nonetheless.

You are right, Nettie's soil does look pretty terrible.

Logan, Sjoerd and Jewell like this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cayuga... I am just as bad. I wear it until its worn out. I certainly don't impress anyone with my wardrobe.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

I know the shirt is that old (and I have a few more of the same vintage) as it was bought in the closing down sale of a large and now defunct emporium. And before you asks, I have worn it fairly regularly.
    The cuffs are not visible as they are usually covered by the 15 years old pullover.

Logan, Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Stop talking about clothes y'all!! I mean, how can you be discussing something so boring when Sjoerd is talking about KNEE PAD POCKET PANTS????? :eek::eek::eek:

I have never heard of such a thing!!! Mind is blown! :nerdy::eek::heart:

Logan, Sjoerd, Jewell and 1 other person like this.
  9. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

I have and tried them many moons ago, but found them so uncomfortable I did not put the pads in. Now that was a pair of trousers which DID wear out!

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronni, don't encourage them

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

ODIF--I would like to see a foto of your tool.

Ahhhh PALU--It is a shame isn't it. You know what is even a greater shame? --Throwing away perfectly good and comfortable clothes. ;)
    Sorry you didn't get used to the pads. I do like the baggy feature of those trousers, for it gives me room to move around and not be restricted.
    I had a good chuckle when you talked about your precious work shirt and then the pullover note at the end was a riot. Chapeau.

Well done, CAROLYN--Waste not, want not...eh?

Hee, hee, hee...RONNI

CAYU-- Glad you liked the tool. It worked like a charm.

A few more words about gardening clothing:
    My Bride bought me a brand new pair of gardening shoes a few years ago since my well-worn ones split across the top. Naturally I thanked her profusely and began the breaking-in process. They are a rubberised plastic version of the wooden klomp. They are much more comfortable than the well-known wooden shoes.
    The thing was though-- only one of the shoes had a split across its bridge. A binding of duct tape and it was good to go again.
    zzz9ab.jpg

So then guys, no big deal right? Well, it is a big deal to the Bride. When we are going or coming from the lottie, we sometimes must stop by the supermarket, ice cream parlour or a restaurant ...and then I would have my stunning gardening garb on.
    zzz9abcd.jpg

Can you believe it--she didn't want to be seen with me in the street. Ach--well, I've nevvuh!
    She has tried walking before me, behind me AND denying knowing me. Dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
    I now keep my gardening clothing in the garden shed at the lottie and wear more acceptable clothing to and fro.

She is under the impression that the old shoes and clothing may now be discarded...but have you seen the condition of those trousers and shoes?!--They can easily be saved and worn if only as back-ups. Know wudduh mean, Vern.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  12. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

The ones I had were sold for workmen who spent much of their time kneeling, laying floor tiles etc.
    Even in my best clothes my wife sometimes tries to pretend she is not with me,

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The ones that I have are meant for the same group of workers. Many of our streets over here are still cobbled or bricked...so the people who lay these need some sort of protection for their knees.
    Chuckle...funny how Brides do that, eh?

Logan and Cayuga Morning like this.
  14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

S, not long ago (like in about 50 years or so) there was a man who lived near us. he went to an auction one day a bit of a ways from home wearing his normal work attire... waste not want not. he grew up in the depression knowing great need. he bid on this piece of equipment up to the tune of $750,000.00 US dollars. when the auctioneer asked how he wanted to was going to pay for it his simple reply was... "would cash be OK?" on his way home from the auction he stopped at a mc Donalds for food and the cashier looked at him and determined he was too poor to dress better and wouldn't let him pay for his meal. true story. clothes don't tell the whole story.

15. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Many hundreds of years ago the Headmaster of the Secondary School which I attended was probably the richest man in the town He owned many properties. However he wore the dirtiest old mac you have ever seen, spent his holidays doing the repairs on the properties which he owned. He came to School on a bicycle which had to be hidden when the Safety Officer came to check on our bikes.
    He went to a local garage to buy a Jaguar car. They did not know him and were reluctant to believe he could pay for it, so he too went to the Bank and paid cash. That car was then pushed by him , his wife and daughter from the garage to the front of their house so that people could see it. Then it was pushed back again. They actually only drove it to Church on a Sunday and home again.
    Clothes definitely do not tell the story. Only the rich can afford to look poor.

16. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well we are certainly not rich but we are comfortable ! A few years back hubby wanted a new car so he and his son drove the old farm truck to town to purchase something for the farm and then stopped in to see the new cars ! Not a single soul came out of the office and for car dealers I thought it quite unusual ! A few days later he drove the new (only a couple of years old) Lincoln to the same dealer and had three salesmen before he got parked !
    While we were in Louisiana we were looking at a motor home to possibly upgrade a bit ! Not a new one but gently used and low miles ! Another couple was looking at the same time and found one they liked and decided to buy, (a new one and not a cheapie) ! They were inside and talking to the salesman and told him that they wanted it so he told his wife to write them a check ! Which bank she asked ,, he said what difference does it make we have money in all of them don`t we ? She smiled and wrote a check for the entire price ! A bit less than a quarter mil ! This couple also was driving an old truck !

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019