They don't make 'em like this anymore!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Raddang, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I think I have mentioned that, following the presence of rats in our loft, I did a major de-clutter and got rid of a load of stuff. You know what I mean, you buy a new item and say put the old one in the loft, somebody might like it. Ten years and more later it is still there and nobody wanted it mainly because you forgot it was there.
    In the mid seventies when our children were small or early teens, we spent several holidays in Cornwall. For amusement at the beach we purchased an inexpensive inflateable dinghy. We used it for many years and it was eventually rolled up and stored in its bag and put in the loft, someone might like it.
    We found it amongst the clutter and for the hell of it we inflated it and left it for 3 days to leak test. There are no leaks and it looks good as new. We have now given it to a family friend who has small children and also a 'beach hut' at the seaside so it is starting a new life, giving fun and pleasure to some kids.

Here is said dinghy on holiday in Cornwall in the mid seventies
    Trencreek Cornwall.JPG

And now on leak testing.
    20161120 Found while clearing the loft-001.JPG

I just wonder if similar seaside products purchased today would still be leak free in over 40 years :);)

2. Loading...

3. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

I'm amazed not one rat used it as a chew toy! What are the odds?

Raddang likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That bit of kit looks in good nick.
    That was a lucky family that got that.
    That thing is going to have a history and stories to tell...if only one could hear them.

That, that, that---how boring can I get.

Raddang likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I doubt if the inflateable dinghies that are produced now would stand the test of time the way yours has. I hope it gives the new family many happy years as it did for your children.

Raddang likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

WOW - I highly doubt a dingy made nowadays would last even 5 yrs let alone 10 yrs. IMO there isn't very much nowadays made to last at all. Mostly things are made to do the job intended with MEGA safety regulations and then fail and fail in such a manner there is no hope for repair or replacement of a part.

I recognize my opinion of most modern items sounds jaded but in my experience there is very little made now that is designed to last and be fixed.

Excellent dinghy Raddang. Am thinking one made like that one is going to be around for another 40 yrs :)

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That's amazing! They just don't make good quality things like that anymore!